visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Occasional Random Thoughts and Stuff

Comments

• It's one thing to create a shelf full of boxes, barrels, and sacks, etc. These items are individually available and can be incorporated into the shelf. But someone has to create the boxes, barrels and sacks initially. Plus all the other special items that are incorporated into each kit. It amazes me to see the detail in these items and how crisp and accurate they look.

Thank you Brett for going the extra mile to create such amazing details that are incorporated into each kit. Which by the way are also exceptional.
  • So Brett, what does the new casting look like?
  • Ahhhh, this mold was just maintenance. The molds for white metal casting last a long time but the heat eventually wears them out so nothing new... but there might be something new to share with you all soon. hmmmm
  • admin said:

thank you all for the kind words.

the new metal mold spun perfectly this morning. Makes me happy!

don't let it get to your head....
  • Hah, that's what you're there for!
  • Oh wow! New castings! Can't wait to see what they are!
  • edited June 2022
    IMG_1754

Bought a new set of "REANER STRAIGHT" on Amazon... No comment - other than made me smile.
  • what are those used for?
  • You don't really want me to answer that do you??

Jerry
  • It's a reaMer set Ben, they are small files used to enlarge small holes.

You use the reamer to enlarge the hole when putting small parts together.
    It's safer and more controllable than drilling on small parts that are fragile and/or brittle as they are less aggressive to the material.

I guess they were made in ChiMa...
    I just ordered a set to use on the new 3D printed parts.
  • Ah, gotcha, thanks. From the picture the diameter didn't look small enough, but on second glance it would do for a lot of what I open up with small drill bits
  • Chima, LOL. I see what you did there.
  • So quite a few folks have contacted me about what reamer set to purchase. Look for a "broach" mininature cutting set. I never knew this until I looked the info up for this post but I like to use a "Broach" set. (technically not a reamer) A broach is a 5-sided, tapered cutting tool, used by hand much as a reamer to enlarge holes. Here is the set I have used for many years:

broach

Might be some new products in HO/O that will require the use of a miniature broach. Just sayin'. This set is available on Amazon and I have found it in-store at places like Home Depot, $15-$20.
  • admin said:

So quite a few folks have contacted me about what reamer set to purchase. Look for a "broach" mininature cutting set. I never knew this until I looked the info up for this post but I like to use a "Broach" set. (technically not a reamer) A broach is a 5-sided, tapered cutting tool, used by hand much as a reamer to enlarge holes. Here is the set I have used for many years:

broach

Might be some new products in HO/O that will require the use of a miniature broach. Just sayin'. This set is available on Amazon and I have found it in-store at places like Home Depot, $15-$20.

i just looked for it on amazon and no dice.
  • edited June 2022
    I have a set on order Kev, try this link...
    Took me a while but this is what I found.

Brett will correct me if I ordered the wrong set... hope not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JJZ76I?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I searched "modelcraft broach set"

• thanks karl.
  • edited June 2022
    These were available from quite a few sellers here in the US when I made my post but we bought them out! I did find this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NJ1SYA/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3H9LZ81PN5OB0&psc=1
  • both are saved to my wish list. i'm only gettin' paid once a month these days, so i can only order stuff in the middle of the month.
    when i delivered mail, the social security checks were always delivered on the 3rd of the month. i guess with the advent of the boomers retiring, they had to split it up so now one group of ssa recipients gets their check on the second wednesday of the month (the group i'm in) and i don't know when the other group gets theirs, but it's not on the 3rd any more.
  • They get there checks on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd. I get mine on the 3rd.

Jerry
  • Brett gets his when we buy stuff!...so get ordering!!...he who dies with the most SWSM Kits and SWSM 3D parts wins!!!
  • Ken,
    I'm working on the most resin and 3D detail parts!
  • No way man!...I'm on my second plastic tray organizer full of 3D parts...AND have been planning to photograph my entire resin casting collection and arrange by category such as shelf units, benches, etc...I'll then print these and have a SWSM Resin Casting book and then search out any I don't have and add to the collection. You better get your big boy pants on Tom if you want to keep up! LOL.
  • Ken, here's my collection of SW details.
    20220624_120011 Resize
    20220624_120649 Resize
    20220624_121305 Resize
    And a few finished ready to put into a diorama
    20220624_123105 Resize
    Time to photograph your collection and start that book! :wink:
  • edited June 2022
    That is an amazing collection! Here is me standing outside Brett's house with my sign written in red crayon..."Bring Back the O Scale Casting Sets!" :) I need to make the plea every once and a while
  • edited June 2022
    Fantastic selection / collection you have Tom, no wonder your work is so excellently and beautifully detailed.
    The painted ones also look fantastic.
    Absolutely the best available.

They were indeed amazing sets Ben, I originally had them all and have enjoyed using them up on many previous builds over the years.
  • Thanks for the follow-up to my post Tom and not bad for a starter collection!...:) I'll get my stuff out and post a similar one. Amazing how you have many in the original packages, that's worth a few points right there.

My thoughts were to label the book as " A Catalog of SWSM Resin Castings" Selections
    from the Ken Karns Collection. Has a nice ring to it...could even give them catalog numbers..."Hey Tom, I'll trade you a #1023 shelf unit for a #365 Workbench"!
  • Too funny Ben! It is a great selection Tom has there for sure.
  • You guys crack me up…first glance of Tom’s display I thought it was a photo of a certain aisle at a drugstore
    Terry
  • Right Terry! Fun to shop that store with SWSM castings and sundries hanging on the shelves for the taking!
  • damn i'm jealous....