visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Occasional Random Thoughts and Stuff

Comments

• edited June 2022
    You guys remember WAY back when? Brett sold individual castings. I bought a boat load. I first got started in 2010 at the St. Louis Narrow Gauge convention Brett had a booth. He had individual castings available for sale. That's when I started stocking up as they were different and unique with a lot of detail. A short while after that I ordered another boat load from his website. Many of those are the ones in the plastic bags without any labels. What I liked about the resin castings is that they are cleaner with less flash, and easier to work with.

Fast forward to the Denver NG convention a few years back. He had a booth there, this time with packaged detail parts. Those are the ones with the tan colored paper label. They are also the ones listed on his website all of which are "Out of Stock". Now 3D detail parts are being produced, which are even better with outstanding crisp detail. I suspect this newer technology will be the future of detail parts. I have purchased 3D detail parts from other sources, but Brett's are by FAR the cleanest and have the crispest detail. Can't wait to see what the future holds!
  • edited June 2022
    Kevin, these are just my SW detail parts. I can't begin to show the selection of metal detail parts I have, both packaged and unpackaged from numerous sources.
  • Nice back story Tom. I agree with the evolution of scale modeling details bringing the 3D printed parts to the forefront. SierraWest has always been the innovator and sets the standard for fine scale modeling. You open a SierraWest Scale Models kit or details parts box and you know its the finest materials and craftsmanship available anywhere...period!

I believe I must concede that you are currently in the lead...dang!
  • I will miss the cast resin smell once we get to all 3d printed.....I also have a lot of neat stuff in my collection...not as much as you.....but I'm working on it. A friend is doing some really neat vertical boilers, along with the steam engine and mounts....I plan on doing a boiler repair business to work with O'Neills and the foundry....
  • I will miss the cast resin smell once we get to all 3d printed.....

NEVER going to abandon hand poured resin or white metal so that smell will still be a big part of SW!
  • I will miss the cast resin smell once we get to all 3d printed.....

I'm currently developing a line of scented candles .... in my spare time ...

• edited June 2022
    admin said:

I will miss the cast resin smell once we get to all 3d printed.....

NEVER going to abandon hand poured resin or white metal so that smell will still be a big part of SW!
    Haha, we cross posted...

Dang, scratch that idea then ...
  • Karl, how about a mimeograph paper scented candle? Sure loved that smell as a kid.
  • and a leaded gas candle?
  • Ken you still have time to catch up. My wife says I will never build all the kits or use all the parts I have so for now I'm slowing down. RIIIIGHT!

Glad to hear the cast resin details will stick around too. I really like working with them and Brett you have created some really unique detail parts. I especially like the shelves. I too look forward to opening an SW kit and smelling the resin parts. I know it's weird, but it's part of the SW experience! :smile:
  • Thanks for the window of opportunity Tom! Your wife, of course, is correct as "they" usually are! I agree on the resin parts...they have almost a cult following as they are that good. It's often said that smells are one of the most powerful reminders of past experiences. Opening a SWSM kit and having that resin casting smell come wafting out of the box is something that cannot be explained but must be experienced!
  • Tom reminds me of going into a Hobby Store!!

Jerry
  • I received my Broach "reamer" set that Brett recommended illustrated earlier in this thread. Since then I have used it several times on a current project (not Shelby's but SWSM) and they are awesome. The versatility in bore diameter that they work in is wonderful...thanks Brett for the steer!
  • Happy Saturday morning! Weekly website update complete. Workbench cleared and cleaned off. Getting ready to pack up some orders for Monday morning shipment... then working on a new O Scale kit that will be revealed very soon. Then there will be some very happy HO Scale modelers with a long awaited kit getting itself ready.

Here is my workbench all shiny clean and ready for a full weekend of modeling. Looking very forward to finishing this O Scale diorama off. Yeah, all clues are buried under the black rectangles... sorry! First kit developed in the 3D Printing era. Sooooooo many new details.

IMG_2050
  • you dawg....
  • Hah! Woof...
  • admin said:

So quite a few folks have contacted me about what reamer set to purchase. Look for a "broach" mininature cutting set. I never knew this until I looked the info up for this post but I like to use a "Broach" set. (technically not a reamer) A broach is a 5-sided, tapered cutting tool, used by hand much as a reamer to enlarge holes. Here is the set I have used for many years:

broach

Might be some new products in HO/O that will require the use of a miniature broach. Just sayin'. This set is available on Amazon and I have found it in-store at places like Home Depot, $15-$20.

i got mine three days ago. i was initially taken aback by how small they are, but duh......
  • edited July 2022
    I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the weekends modeling.

Not a lot better than a tidy workbench and a master plan on a Saturday morning.
  • So exciting Brett!...I'm not an O scale modeler but still can't wait to see the new O Scale release...maybe because I'm so stoked that your attention will then be on the HO project! Ha.
  • Sure is a lot of rectangles!!! Isn't there!!

Jerry
  • Looks like a classified CIA document that’s been heavily redacted…..been trying all day to get the word “redacted” into a conversation….now I’m happy
    Terry
  • edited July 2022
    Jerry said:

Sure is a lot of rectangles!!! Isn't there!!

Jerry

The more rectangles there are then you know the better the reveal will be my friend.
    After all, if there is that much to hide, then...

Haha Terry...

• Very clean workbench for sure.

Hope one of those shipments makes it's way to Virginia Beach
  • Looks like a classified CIA document that’s been heavily redacted…..been trying all day to get the word “redacted” into a conversation….now I’m happy
    Terry

ah, life's simple pleasures. [please don't redact]
  • edited July 2022
    here's a thought that i've had many many times (so not exactly random). brett has to be the finest scratchbuilder on the planet. the entire kit making process boggles my mind, but it never fails, kit after kit, that the swsm kits completely blow away everyone else's kits. case in point: i'm in the middle of a kit by a well known manufacturer. the structure itself is a very nice design, but the instructions are so pathetic as to be almost unusable. 4 pages of contradicting information and glaring omissions. when i opened the instructions i was flabbergasted at how bad they are. that's NEVER the case with brett.
    i'm probably just spoiled.
  • First mistake Kevin is opening a kit from another manufacturer! Lol.
  • KKarns said:

First mistake Kevin is opening a kit from another manufacturer! Lol.

You mean there's other manufactures??

• KKarns said:

First mistake Kevin is opening a kit from another manufacturer! Lol.

yeah, yeah, yeah. i had a specific need, and i filled it. never again.....

• We'll let it slide...this time!
  • ok then.