visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• Kevin, I like your shelving. it looks like somebody has saved a bunch of old junk.
  • Looking good.
  • edited September 2017
    Castings are looking great as has been mentioned previously, as is the rest of the structure, really nice work throughout,
    However I still think that you are at a good point where the loading dock overhang should be removed and redone, to make it blend in more with the quality and feel of everything else, more randomly patched, less obvious definition, as you've done elsewhere, a simple fix.

Karl.A
  • karl,
    i agree, i'm not satisfied with it, but i don't really want to remove it again (i accidentally knocked it off once already), so I'll try to work on it in situ, and right now, due to a meltdown that i had over the roof (brett called me and talked me in off the ledge) i'm boarding the welding shop walls (and having a great time doing it!) and working on some of the welding shop castings. i get a lot of enjoyment ith these castings. there's so many of them!
    here's the front wall of the welding shop so far. lots more details to come.....

welding shop wall 1
  • Really nice work. Love the board ends and the colouring is great.
  • Looks great Kevin! Will be the perfect compliment to the main bldg...
  • Weathering and the paint effect looks wonderful. Subtile knot holes and such just right.
  • i managed to get the rear and left walls boarded today. i made a copy of the section of template D with the side wall siding trap section on 8.5" x 11" paper because it's a bit more manageable on my way overcrowded workbench, 3 down, 1 to go.
    welding shop front and rear walls boarded
    welding shop left wall boarded
  • That's a really nice tone of gray on the base color.
  • i've been messing around with the welding shop details details latelyright welding shop wall
  • better shotshelf details

other than using powder, should i "grunge" this up and if so, how?
  • Kevin Please leave it alone looks just the way it should.................Carl
  • Kevin, very good paint job on the castings. Phil
  • based on comments i'll consider this wall finished except for some 'stuff' on the window sills. thanks.
  • I would work on the boards near the bottom to give a more weather/worn look. The gradual lightening/loss of paint of the boards will end well with the chewed up bottom of the boards..which looks very nice in this photo. The boards directly under the shelf appear to be newer than the rest of the wall.
  • Great looking wall Kevin. Shelf details are wonderful and board weathering is top notch. Ed's point on the board with the large piece missing got me thinking. That's a big gap...what would it look like with some tar paper on the inside as a patch and the effect of the missing board thus retained? Also like Bryan's suggestion of just a hint of darker weathering along the bottom. Maybe just let some AI wick up the ends a bit and I would move the window support stick to on side or the other...middle position looks odd to me. Great progress.
  • Looks great to me Kevin, at this point I don't see anything that needs to be done. I it looks good as is and you have had some great comments confirming this. I'll add to those if I may...

The slightly less weathered boards under the shelves looks great, this leads into the 'scenario' that those boards were more protected by the shelves and didn't weather so much. Maybe you already planned this, maybe you didn't, but I like it.

The dirtying/darkening of the bottom of the walls is a good point, but, if I remember correctly this structure sits on a boarded deck? If that is the case I would glue the structure to the deck and then do the weathering effect.
    This way you will darken where the wall meets the deck, the weathering will spread up the wall and out across the deck, therefor blending the two together and homogenizing the whole effect making it look like it has all aged together.
    This would be subtle as its not sitting on dirt, quite minor.

The larger split in the board I actually like as is, however if you do decide to cover it from the inside I would suggest an old metal sign on the inside of the wall, or, simply just a plank nailed up on the inside, either way I would still leave some daylight showing through.

As I said, at this point it looks great as it is, nice work.

Karl.A
  • thanks karl, and everyone.
    my reasoning for not showing anything wicking up the bottom of the wall at this point is because the structure doesn't extend to the ground, and i wanted to wait until it's glued to the deck (and i think it's pretty flush with the edge of the deck) and the oil sump is in place. then i was going to treat the wall with some oil splashes or something along those lines.
    ken, i agree and will be moving the stick holding the window up. i plan on adding detail to the window sills and will move it then.
    regarding the large split on the left, i like the idea of a metal sign nailed up on the inside and i may go that route when i start detailing the inside of the walls, i haven't made that decision yet.
  • Kevin, great idea on the bottom of the walls. Gunk and grime like oil rather than weathering would be perfect, good call. Right, the stick centered just looks too uniform, glad you agree and like I mentioned great looking wall.
  • i have both welding shop side walls detailed. any suggestions for improvement welcome.
    first the right wall:
    welding shop right wall detailed 1
    and the left:
    welding shop left wall detailed 1

that was fun....
  • and here's the front:
    welding shop front wall detailed 1

the doors are built and laying in front but the light washes them out so they appear really bright (unlike me).
    i think i'll run some light rust streaks under the 'danger acetylene' sign(s).
  • edited October 2017
    Looks great Kevin, I just popped in while passing the screen, so, not gonna type much...
    The only thing I can initially see that could use a slight 'adjustment' is the shelves themselves....
    Shelves containing dirty oily cans, accessed by dirty oily hands should be grimy and 'grungy'...
    A quick dabbing of some (dry) dark chalk on a tiny detail brush between these items will not only dirty up the shelves but also blend those details into the mini scene.

kebmo02
    kebmo03

That was the only thing I noticed, everything is looking great.

Karl.A
  • thanks karl. i'll take care of that on my next trip downstairs.
  • Back again to admire your fine work, and get another look at this great kit in progress.

kebmo04

Grab some tweasers and bend that wire so its hanging straight down.
    Yeah, I know I'm being nitpicky, but, theyre supposed to be flexible hoses and should give the illusion of 'hanging' loosely,...... minutia.

OK, I'll quit now.

Karl.A

• It's looking great Kevin. Karl mentioned what I noticed: the hoses...minor tweeking only to fix that.
  • Kevin looks really great. A few loose ends to fix but other that your right on the money.

Jerry
  • Everything looks great and blends well together. Great job.

-Steve
  • i've been able to find some time at the bench the past week, and i've been messing around with the welding shop interior. the rear wall is finished and i'm working on the left wall interior now.welding shop interior rear wall
  • Great job Keven I am going send you my stuff so it can look like your's. .............Carl
  • now that's funny!
    I've done a little more since the pic was taken, but nothing to write home about. i added a couple more signs and another clip board.