visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• Hey Kevin, perfect example of why you deal with SierraWest Scale Models! Brett is totally committed to the customer and sending you replacement parts for your ommitted "foul play" is just how he does business. Anxious for more updates...I should talk!
  • I was getting worried about both of us.....I've not been able to get into the shop to do any work at all for too many days between an on the job injury (smoke inhalation) and just plain work....nothing has gotten done.....that ends today as it's 90+ degrees in Jersey...and the shop is air conditioned....it's a no brainer.....getting some chalk on my fingers today...
  • edited July 2017
    it's been a while...
    work has kept me really busy. imagine me on a sweltering 90 degree thursday afternoon filling and lugging hundreds of sandbags because one of the properties i manage was in a little danger of having flood issues in a half dozen of the condo buildings. this summer has pretty much sucked.
    anyway, between work and my band i haven't been at the work bench in quite a while.

the reason i'm posting is, where can you find an o scale work truck along the same lines as the jordans? i've looked all over. i don't want die cast, i want a kit!
  • Brett has special offers every now and then of his O Scale Mack trucks, they are exquisite kits... obviously.
    Keep your eyes open for those....

There are two very distinct versions but I only found a pic of one style and not the other.....
    bmt

Karl.A
  • good to know, thanks karl. are they white metal, plastic, resin.....?
  • edited July 2017
    Metal.
  • Kevin...I have one of the AC Mack kits...and the detail and versatility of what it can be made into are unreal....looks like we've both got off track on our builds....every time I walk into the shop...sit down and start to work....I get pulled away....
  • i'm gonna force some bench time this week
  • time at the work bench has been scarce lately, and it didn't help that i shot myself in the foot: i got the ribbed roofing cut for the main building and addition, and right after i stuck them to the roof card i realized that i skipped a step and forgot to bake them. so....brett sent me another roof card and a few panels of ribbed roofing and i redid the roof. i ended up having a slight issue withe roof card: when i went to apply last panel, i took up the white layer and the self stick layer came up with it. i ended up using epoxy on the last panel. then i grained and stained the wood for the fascia, and right before i put template B on the bench to cut the rafter tails, i decided to flip the structure over to get an idea what i'll dealing with when attaching the rafter tails, and in my handedness, i managed to knock the freight dock over hang off the building. this weekend is going to be a repair weekend....
    and sunday afternoon we're gonna go listen to my son's band at a festival....
  • edited August 2017
    Sometimes Kevin we all redo a few things. That's the nature of the beast, and how progress is made.
    Great to read that after your error Brett helped you out with a replacement, customer support at it's best.

Looking forward to yours, and others, progress on this great SWSM kit.

Karl.A
  • Glad you got back into your build...even with the minor setbacks....I have not been able to get back into the shop until tonight....at least I have the stripwood grained and stained for the addition and the tower...I have a short work trip for about a week...so once again I'm delayed....pictures once I get back...
  • due to life and other reasons, i haven't done much on o'neills lately. i hope to get back into it hot and heavy this weekend.
    earlier in this thread i promised to show the contents of part 2 when i received it. as my sainted grandmother bridget used to say, "holy mary mother of god!"
    part 2 contains a construction manual, another packet of miscellaneous items (jigs, wire, chains, etc.) a template for placing the track and structures on the diorama base and another tempate for cutting the welding shop fascia boards, and details. lots of details. 158 white metal details with a smaller bag of another 21 detail parts, and 182 resin details. i'm figuring this will keep me going until well into 2018.
    Part 2 contents
  • I never counted them... That's a ton... Enjoy the journey bro and get back to the build!
  • That should keep you busy.

I have a bad itch to get into mine. Keeping my fingers crossed to be able to start some time between Jan-Mar. Hard to believe its been over 2 years since I've built anything.
  • Really cant wait to get my grubby paws on this kit. How cool does that collection of castings look scatterd all over the bench like that.
  • OMG, can't believe the incredible supply of castings and not only that but the best casting available anywhere. Pretty sweet. Looking forward to tackling this project too.
  • I feel you pain my friend....we both got started at about the same time...and like you...I've had too many distractions...I was in the shop last night...did some clean-up...and like you....I hope to get back into it before the weekend....
  • i had plans to hit it hard tonight, but you know what they say about the best laid plans. i got roped into going to the movies tonight to see the premiere of "it" (i'm not a fan of horror movies...but hey) and tomorrow night i'm going to wrigley for the cubs/brewers game. i won't get to the bench until sometime saturday. like 6 am....
    a few weeks ago i hamhandedly knocked the overhang ove the loading dock off while flipping the building over to install rafter tails, but i'm gonna make that work for me. the way the overhang was installed, the rafter tails wouldn't have fit. i called brett and he suggested i don't bother installing them on that side, but now i can because now the rafter tails will be there before the overhang gets remounted so that should work out pretty good. i did finally manage to finish the roof on the main building (visible in the photo above) and while i'm pretty happy with the coloring, its not quite the same as brett's.
  • edited September 2017
    i epoxied the tower to the foundation and installed the rafters/fascia on the main building and addition.
    tower epoxied to the foundation
  • The dock casting and tower look great together, and the ribbed seam roof plays nicely with that subtle feeling, those three elements look great together.

Karl.A
  • This is coming together nicely. You nailed the color on the ribbed roof. My eye is immediatly drawn to the 3 sheets of corrugated. They stand out as just a bit bright.
  • Thanks for sharing your last update. I assume part of the reason you're posting the build is to receive feedback. I have just one comment and its in regards to your overhang. From the picture you posted, it appears as if it looks like a Racing Stripe from the way you have the materials arranged. If you have some time, you may want to revisit that portion of your build and make those items appear more random.

Otherwise, to me the build looks great!

Thanks for sharing,
    Alan

Kembo

ScreenHunter_55 Sep. 16 07.32
  • xxsw1
    The finish on this pic caught my eye...nice contrast
  • Coming together nicely Kevin. Wonderful feeling when the O'Neills complex gets put together, really get a feel for how things will turn out. I agree with Alan on the loading dock overhang, maybe just adjust the boards a bit so they aren't perfectly straight to break up the uniformity just a bit. When I was building my O'Neills, I quickly stained the boards that were going to be covered up by the tower as I knew I would get a ribbing from this motley crew of ours...!
  • I think if you look at the two pictures Alan posted (one of yours, and one of Brett's)
    The difference is very apparent.....

When modeling this kind of thing the essence is in the finish, as always....

Subtle, random, blended... That is the key we are taught.

Karl. A
  • i will work on it. right now i'm playing with some of the welding shop details.welding shop details cabinet 1
    welding shop details crate 1
  • Details are starting to look great. A few shiny spots (glare in the photos) which are a bit distracting but the muted colours work really well. Personally I can't wait to get to this stage.
  • One of my favorite parts of any build right here.

Great look of dirty, weathered wood on top shelf. Adding metal bands around the barrel on bottom left, and changing color of one of the boxes on the bottom right might enhance the look.

Nice case full of rusty junk on bottom. The green part really adds to the interest in here.
  • Love the big scrap metal box...and I also think the green can seals the deal! Nice call Bryan.
  • i reworked the loading dock overhang and the three shelf cabinet this morning before work.
    loading doc overhang reworked
    three shelf  cabinet reworked
    its difficult to tell from the photo but all the crates on the shelf have been colored with various chalks to give some definition, and the barrel bottom left (thanks bryan) bands have been rusted. it's easier to see in person.