visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• Something to be proud of for sure. Nice job.
  • finally got around to redoing the dock overhang
    got rid of the racing stripe.
    dockoverhang redo
  • Looking good there my friend. .........Carl
  • Yup...definitely looks more random...and much better.
  • I agree with Alan. Concrete color and the stains and discoloration look terrific.
  • i managed to get some more work done on o'neill's

roof weights main roof glued on and i thought i'd show how i weighted it down. two quart baggies with rice and a bindercli[ holding them together. the roof on the addition is currently glued and drying.

i worked on the loading dock too. the glue is drying on the oil drum cart....
    loading dock 2
  • roof glue dried over night, and here's the main roof
    main roof installed
  • Color on the main roof turned out great.
  • Heard that!...perfect roof color..nice idea for the roof weights.
  • it's new year's day and i've been adding the rafters/fascia to the main roof and the addition. (just took a break for a late lunch) while doing so it occurred me the level of thought and planning that brett has to do in order to produce one of these kits. it's really astounding. what made me think of this? the number of required steps that need to be completed before the finishing touches of the roof can be done. i for one have never seen flashing on a kit, much less had to install it (that's my next task). i've been anxious to attach the L shaped vent, but it has to wait until the flashing's been installed. it's just the things like that that you will probably never see on anyone else's kits that truly set brett and his kits apart from all of the other manufacturers (including george sellios). to my mind there can be no dispute about who produces the best kits/bang for one's buck.
    my only beef is: retired kits. i wish they were all still available. i am looking forward to the O scale foundry......
  • the reason i brought up the retired kits is because i won't be able to use the Rusty Stumps water tower that i built because the dio is 14" deep and won't fit on the layout. i'd much rather have the swsm water tower....
    that is all.
  • i think there's 5 left
  • Kevin, I agree with Bryan, I really like the roof color. You are doing a splendid job on this build.

Geezerbill
  • thanks bill. i've been quietly plugging along. i have the tower landing to do and the corrugated for the drive under to go....and then it's on to part two. the. diorama.
    i also purchased a few vehicles, but they're in 1/43 scale and appear a bit small. i got a 37 ford pickup that i'm rusting up quite a bit, a 57 ford ranchero to set the era, and a 34 chevy pickup. gonna find some acceptable little people some day too.
    anyway...this is how i installed the tower roof base to square the roof up:
    tower roof base installed

the tower roof is installed. the structure isn't on the workbench, so the lighting is kinda funky. the welding shop roof is also shingled but set aside for part two:

tower roof installed

the landings in the rear and front are installed for second time. the first go around they just weren't plumb, so i unstuck 'em and reglued them

rear landings
    front landing
    i bought a lazy-susan type thing so i can bring the structure and base back to the workbench and have 360 access to it. i've got a lot of crap going at work right now, but i expect to get back at it hard next week sometime.

here's the 37 ford. i just started rusting it up and have a long way to to on it.
    37 ford 1
    37 frd 2

the 34 chevy

34 chevy 1

34 chevy 2
    and the ranchero. i'm going leave one pristine, maybe a little dirt

57 ranchero1
    57 ranchero2
  • sounds great ed, thanks.
  • Very, very nice indeed!

Geezerbill
  • the drive through overhang roof is currently drying under a couple of bricks and today i start on the tower landing. then it's on to part two......
  • Kevin,
    Great job on the build. The cars are fantastic as well as your track work. Always amazing what the O scale guys do with Brett's kits. Can't wait to see the scenery and the rest of the kit in place!

Jim
  • Automobiles are a great way to date your diorama. Nicely done.
  • my dumb dog woke me up at 4:45 am, so after a cup or two of coffee I went downstairs and built the tower landing.
    what's up next? well, there is a plethora of details that haven't been worked on yet, i still have details from part one that need to be placed, and now that the tower landing is finished,
    tower landing built 1

tower landing built 2
    i'm going to begin collecting all of the scenery materials i'm going to need to get started on the base landscaping. all of part one with the exception of some of the details is completed. i altready have 3 grades of tan dirt and 3 grades of "black" dirt. i will probably mix some durham's water putty in with the tan base dirt, and i have a trusty yard sale blender for grinding up 'forest bottom'. so after a few days of collecting ground material i'll get started on planting buildings and stair supports/details.
  • Wonderful Kevin! Looks great, executed perfectly, solid plan moving forward.
  • love the coloring and texture of the porch and stairs, looks great!
  • placed the tower landing to check it against the building and i think it turned out looking pretty good:
    tower dock placed 1

tower dock placed 2

and here's a shot of the drive through roof:
    drive through roof
    in the pic it appears there's some silver shining through. upon closer inspection if that is indeed the case i will hide it with more of the ruddy brown/roof brown wash.

and the drive under roof:
    drive under roof
    the drive under roof is upside down in the picture,
  • Love the loading dock and stairs. Just the right amount of age.
  • Some nice detail work there.

Jerry
  • It looks good all together like that.
  • on the "oh by the way" front...
    it's not a 34 chevy. it's a 51 ford.
    sheesh....
  • Looking very good Kevin

Geezerbill
  • thank you bill. i appreciate that.
  • I like the corrugated panels. Well done!