visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• brian,
    i'd love to have those cars. i have a couple of bachmanns. red plastic. its never easy trying to make that look realistic, but it is a challenge.

i haven't been back to the work bench in quite a while (almost a month) because i have a new baby, she's been taking up most of my free time.
    it's not what you think....

partscaster
  • i've been away from the bench for quite a while, but i haven't been completely negligent. i recently traded a water tower structure for a couple of on30 backmann freight cars, a flatbed and a gondola. the guy i traded with ordered a gondola kit from bill banta, and had it shipped to me. a few days ago i decided to build it. the first order of business was getting rid of the plastic box car red look, and here are the results (i haven't installed the couplers yet):
    banta gondola kit 1
    banta gondola kit 2
    banta gondola kit 3
    banta gondola kit 4
    banta gondola kit 6
  • Great looking-great job on the weathering

I have a wood kit from LaBelle I'm about to start that looks very silimar...are Bill Banta and LaBelle one and the same?
    Terry
  • i have no idea. still need some additional weathering which i'll get to when i get around to installing the couplers.
  • edited June 2018
    I saw that you posted and I was all excited for an O'Niells update.....

The car looks great and all but stop teasing me with guitars and cars, I wanna see your skills on the kit build...

Details, walls, windows or doors, I'm easy to please regardless. I sure am looking forward to the next build update

Karl.A
  • i'm considering building a small shed to store acetylene tanks in. i want to put it in the "scrap yard" scene. it won't be big. maybe 8'x8' scale feet. i want it to have this finish:

i'm going to make it look pretty beat up over the years. i would really appreciate any suggestions for achieving the color. black and white chalks? gray chalks? all suggestions will be considered and appreciated.
  • i wish i'd cut the base an extra inch wide. here's the proposed location of the acetylene shed. obviously, its going to make the boiler clutter area much more cluttered.... :)
    shed location
    here's a few of the siding boards (pre-detailing) showing my attempt at coming up with a nice sun bleached gray finish. it could have been lighter, but its only a beat up shed..

siding boards before detailing
    hmm...i see some fuzzies in the picture. i know what i gotta do....

i used some of the excess ribbed roofing from the main building for the shed roof. it's been painted and baked but i still need to color it.
    i made the shed subwalls out of chipboard, and i'm going to install the siding boards vertically (after seeing ken's recent update on the foundry build, i have alot of detailing to do.) i'm debating cutting small windows in the side walls but i don't know if it's necessary. after all...its just a shed. i suppose it should have some ventilation, as sheds can get pretty hot inside and this one's gonna have acetylene stored in it.
    well, i'm heading back downstairs. i think i'll try dusting the boards with varying shades of gray.
  • I think you are well on your way to achieve those sun bleached sidings. Looks good already.
  • shed walls are almost finished. nothing is glued together at this point. i see that i'm going to have to change out the trim across the tops of the walls, but i think that will have to wait until the walls are glued together. i still need to build the door.
    shed walls not glued
  • Great looking shed Kevin, you nailed the color you were looking for.
  • Kevin...your prototype barn looks like a great building to scratchbuild also..."your assignment, if you should choose to accept"....is more photos and dimensions ;-))
    Terry
  • terry,
    the barn is in really bad shape. as in, falling down shape....
    i finished the front wall and left wall and glued them together. boy oh boy does the camera show a ton of fuzzies. they are not visible with my naked eye (anyway)...
    shed front and left side glued1
    shed front and left side glued2

the lighting is deceiving, because the edges of the signs have been thoroughly rusted and there is no white visible (to my naked eye)......
  • Even so, it looks very good to me !
  • I like it. This will add an interesting element to the diorama
  • i thought i would roof it with scraps from the raised ribbed roofing on the main building, so i tried it and it looks out of scale on the shed, so i am going to redo the roof with tar paper instead.
    shed roof first attempt1

• Just my opinion but I think the roof ribs look fine...they're a wider spacing than the vertical wood siding...which they would be in real life...but you're the builder and the only one who needs to be pleased with the result
    Terry
  • I'm in awe of the amount of detail in your "O Scale" project and all the efforts you've made to correct those very few items that may not have shown up immediately. Reading your description, and all of the comments have been a real education for this "HO guy". Very impressive, Kevin.
  • Finished shed1
    finished shed 2
    Finished shed 3
    Finished shed 4
    Finished shed in location

the only thing i want to do to it now is find sand the fuzzies away.
  • I like the tar paper, good decision. Doesn’t over power the structure. The weathering is great.
  • edited July 2018
    Kevin,

I'm in agreement with Ken's comments and your decision to change to the tar paper roof for the auxiliary acetylene shed. We all hate it when the dreaded "fuzzies" show up in our model structure photos. But like you, we should rely on this "critical eye" of the camera to keep our modeling on a high level. I believe the few extra minutes of time spent on "fuzzy" clean-up will be greatly rewarded. Might be interesting to see how it effects the overall weathering as well.

In your final photo above from July 15 there is a great looking pick-truck in the upper left hand corner. What details can you share about the vehicle (scale, manufacturer, model year etc.?) By the paint colors I'd guess it was a late 50's pick-up.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • edited July 2018
    The shed on its own is a nice little build, it was definitely a good decision to go with the tar paper roof, not so over powering. You really made a good choice on that.
    However, I'm not so keen on its placement, or it's angle. I'll elaborate on 'why', if you ask, but, it just doesn't seem to 'fit'.

Karl.A
  • ken: thanks. i wish i had better lighting, because in natural light you can really see the grain/details in the wood. in the pics not so much. i have 6 daylight bulbs, but they're directly over my head and the shadows are hard to photograph in.
    dave: it's a die cast 1/48 truck. if you google "1/48 forrest gump truck" it'll pop up.
    karl: i think it's because the angle of the shed in relation with the welding shop, where the acetylene tanks are refurbished, just isn't plausible. if that's your reason, it's mine too. once i get all the ground cover down i'll experiment with the placement of the shed, but i would love to hear your thoughts.
  • i fashioned a sanding stick by glueing fine grit sandpaper to a 3/32"x3/32" piece of stock i had and got rid of almost all of the fuzzies.
    karl, i would love to hear your thoughts on the placement of the shed. I've already decided to eliminate the front "road" from the diorama and that gives me almost 2 more inches. the road can be on the layout once o'neill's has been placed.
    defuzzied1
    defuzzied2
    defuzzied3
    defuzzied4
  • I like the colour of this little shed. Very natural. And I have the same feel about the placement of it as Karl. I think it's because of the angle of it's position. All the other parts of the build are put together on a 90° angle. The shed seems to be but there as if 'not permanent' It doesn't make part of it. Of course, in the end it will stand on its own, but placed at another angle and added scenery, I am sure it will be more integrated .
  • robert,
    the shed was just placed there for the purpose of getting a picture of it. i've decided to eliminate the road across the front of the diorama. the road will be on the layout portion once the diorama is placed. this gives me almost 2" more room to place it. i have to get the rest of the ground cover dirt glued down (hopefully today). once the tan colored dirt is all glued down and set i'm going to add a layer of "black dirt" and then some greenery/details will be put down. I'll figure out shed placement at that stage.
  • Wood looks great both in color and finish, love the weathering on the CocaCola sign.
  • Hi Kevin.

Really love the little shed. Just a quick question. What is the chimney there for?
  • no earthly idea. i just felt it needed one. the smokejack is ho, and i don't really know what that would be for either.
  • Obviously Wes the shed used to be used as a 'break room' for the guys working outside in the winter months where they could grab a hot coffee from the potbelly stove and warm their hands.
    When the shed was repurposed to be used as gas tank storage they couldn't have a stove in there for safety reasons so they removed the stove but left the stack as a vent incase any of the old tanks started leaking....

Karl.A
  • Well said, Karl....the story is an integral part of the model
    Terry