visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• Looking good.
  • thank you ed. you're a scholar and a gentleman (with good taste in music)
  • Ok KEVIN there spell check.
  • i've been called keith, kyle, kurt kenneth....i could go on and on. do ya really think one letter bugs me? nah...
    got some more welding shop details done, so i staged them on the workbench. to explain the crazy looking desktop..it's and old office desk. steel made to look like wood. 3 or 4 large rubber washer stacked and put at all corners and in the middle, and finally a 5/16" thick slab of glass. there's a couple sheets of black paper under the glass for visibility. so that's what looks so wierd. anyway...a couple pics:
    shoptwowalls1
    shoptwowalls2
  • KEVIN everything looks great just keep it up and do you know that someone called me Ed once.
  • ed: no comment
    carl: at least it's only a two letter word.
  • Very well done Kevin!
  • starting this thursday i'm off work for 16 days and i hope to get a bunch of this done during that time.
    a few thoughts:
    the toughest 2 things i've done so far on this model are the guy wires for the tower overhang and the hose/elbow/nozzle on the gas pump. i really don't like working with epoxy. the overhang is done (poorly) but i'm still struggling with the gas pump. does anyone have a trick they'd b willing to share?
  • to add to my dilemma.... the elbow and nozzle are epoxied to the pump already. while attaching it the hose broke loose. arrggh!
  • edited December 2017
    indeed i do.
    got a little more done on the welding shop.

oil sump
    and the right wall under construction
    and the rear and left wall glued to the platform

rear and left wall interior
  • The gushing oil is a nice touch
  • Looks great Kevin. I agree with Bryan, the oil pouring out of the drum is excellent.
  • thanks. i'm still hoping someone will give me a tip re: the gas pump hose. is there a "better" way to connect the solder to the elbow/nozzle? i'm on my 6th or 7th attempt and not having any luck at all.
  • Gas pump is out of order so it may be the best way to make a sign.
  • Kevin - First off start with the basics. 1. Plenty of good quality clean white lighting. 2. Appropriate magnification. Don't use more than you need to see up close clearly. 3. High quality serrated end tweezers. 4. Make sure the pump is easy to hold and solid as indicated in the manual.

Now specifically be sure the hose is bent to shape before gluing so the ends match perfectly in the outlet elbow and pump handle. I place the stick holding my pump now in some non-drying clay so I have two free hands. Mix your epoxy and just before it gets stringy glue the hose in place. Hold it for a couple minutes allowing the epoxy to set.
  • Kevin, (kebmo)

I see you are working on the Welding Shop. It looks awesome. I just purchased a set of Buffalo Landing Welding Figures to use once I get started on this kit. You might consider adding one or more of the figures in your shop and outside.

Buffalo Landing Welders Set 1.r.1
    Buffalo Landing Welder Kneeling 1.r.1
    Buffalo Landing Welder Sitting 1.r.1
    Buffalo Landing Welder Standing 1.r.1
    Buffalo Landing Welder Standing 2.r.1

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • i'll see if i can find some non-drying clay tomorrow. thanks brett! i've already lit it up with daylight led's per your suggestion, and i use an optivisor. it helps quite a bit.
    dave, i do want to add some 'people' to this thing. i was just looking at those buffalo landing figures yesterday. they look pretty good. i think they're from new zealand.
  • Kevin,

Yes, they are made in NZ. I ordered them on line and they arrived faster than I anticipated. Glad to have them at hand. Now I have to learn how to paint them.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • i worked on the welding shop for a couple of hours today. 3 welding shop walls finished. i still have to add some acetylene tanks, and they;'re in various stages of weathering/detailing and will get added tomorrow. other than than, just some minor details that will be added before the front wall is glued up.
    welding shop three walls 1
    welding shop three walls 2
    and an overhead shot. i wish the decking was as gray as it is in this picture but alas...
    welding shop three walls 3

welding shop interior finished 1
    welding shop interior finished 2
  • Im just blown away how good this looks Kevin.

Apologies if youve mentioned this before, but will the roof be removable?
  • Looks fantastic. Roof must be removeable...I believe that's the law in most states.
  • Kevin,
    It looks fantastic. Nice work.
  • thanks everyone. it does seem as if the roof needs to be removable, and when i get to that point i'll solicit advise. i've never done it before and i know only one side can be removable but that's also the side with the guy wires, so i'll need to talk about it.
  • ignore my previous comment. there are no guy wires on the welding shop roof..
  • How about some lights to show off your fabulous work!
  • so far that is still out of my league.
  • Things are coming together nicely Kevin. Details are great with plenty of nice color and contrast. Looks like that crate got scooted across the floor.
  • edited December 2017
    well....for now i'm calling the welding shop complete until it gets time to plant it on the base. (except for the roof, which will be removable on one side)
    finished welding shop front with kerosene tank staged
    finished welding shop right side
    finished welding shop rear
    finished welding shop left wall
    finished welding shop overhead
  • Beautiful work kebmo !!