visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• Kevin that roof is spot on keep it up there young man....Carl
  • Carl, I like the way you think. I haven't been called young man in decades....
    thanks for checking out my build.
  • i decided to stage the oil tank and piping, and the tower dock to have a look at how it's all going to fit together.
    oil tank-piping-tower dock staged in place
    one thing is for sure;...the lighting over my benchwork needs a little work.
  • It looks great the way it is coming together.
  • I agree, nice seeing it at this stage. Track work looks great from here also.
  • thanks gents.
    ken, it's peco on30 flex track. i really didn't do much.
    tower dock details are in place and will get final weatheringwith the brown wash and maybe some chalk if needed, once they're permanently placed. the details have been glued to the platform, but the platform and piping haven't been glued down yet.
    tower dock detailed1

• Wonderful progress, looks awesome!
  • For sure Kevin...I meant your treatment of the trackage, very well done and looks hand laid.
  • thanks brett, thanks ken. I spent 5 hours yesterday just on details. can't wait to start putting them in the dio. first things first, work and band rehearsal tonight, meeting tomorrow night. I probably won't be able to get back to it until this weekend.
  • It all looks very natural and real. Nice work man.
  • Looks realistic
  • we're expecting as much as 16" of snow between tonight (it's supposed to start in 20 minutes.....) and when this thing stops sometime sunday, so odds are i'm going to be able to find some time at the work bench.
    i would just like to let karl a. know how jealous of him i am, for two reasons:
    1. he's one of the best modelers i've ever seen and aspire to learn from him. and
    2. did you guys see that rack of little sierra west drawers on his workbench? i can't even imagine it. (well yes i can because the first time i saw it i imagined it on my workbench, but who didn't?) to have that assortment of details at hand would be the coolest thing. we could scratchbuild in between swsm releases.
    that's all. just wanted to say that.
  • Kevin It has taken me most of the day to remove 12 in of the wonderful white stuff to make room for the new stuff. ..................Carl
  • we only got 8-9" friday, but they say there's more coming tonight and tomorrow. i love my snowblower.....
  • i was at the workbench 3x since wednesday working on nothing but details. probably 8-9 hours total, and i'm not finished with them yet. i figure i have another 8-9 hours to be able to declare the details finished. i haven't even touched them with the powders yet (except the crates). man there is a sh*t ton of details in this kit! i was juggling barrels and acetylene tanks on separate pieces of 12"x6" foam, so i consolidated and cut a piece of foam about 30"x6" and all the deets are on a single sheet of foam. lots of toothpicks in use...
    this is fun.
  • i didn't feel like working on details today, so i worked on details....
    i thought i'd finish up detailing the tower landing.tower dock detailed 2

and another view showing the barrels etc. and the handrail installed.

tower dock detailed 3

using google images i found some old schlitz labels but jeez,...they're way to small to try to put on the beer bottles.
  • Kevin, you have a gap showing between your tower and its foundation. If you take one of those drywall sanders with fine sandpaper, you can knock off whatever is holding it up...probably a piece of trim. If the gap remains, I would consider closing the gap up front and moving it to a different side where you can camoflauge it with some details.
  • Details coming along nicely Kevin. What is the casting sitting in front of the white barrel on the next to last pic? The finish on that piece is amazing...a subtile greenish color with well worn rust finish...love it...barrel rust and weathering looks mighty fine as well.
  • Love the way it all comes together. It looks great Kevin. Love the bottles on the railing and the dirty rag. Not sure what's happening with the gloves but they don't quite seem to be posed naturally.
  • I second what Joel said: love the rag drying on the railing along with the beer bottles.
    I think you're gonna want to tone down the white on the oil bottle that's on the barrel. A little gray or tan chalk will help it not jump out as much.
  • brian: i'm kinda screwed. one of the corner posts is about 1/64 too long and i'm just gonna leave it be. i'm too scared of the potential damage to do anything that drastic.

ken: i have no idea what the casting is. it's a metal casting that was blackened, buffed, painted pale saffron, and then hit with a pretty dark, heavy wash as described in the manual. i agree, the texture and color on it look great.

joel: you're right, they're not posed naturally. fortunately they aren't glued down. i bent one 90 and hit the edges and the cracked part with adamantium black, but it still looks funky.
  • edited February 2018
    The yellow piece is the base of a screw jack. The top portion is a separate casting that can be identified by the threads - looks like a small screw.
  • i solved the gap problem this morning before work....
    gap problem solved

i know it's not the perfect solution but it works for me.
  • by the way...those pallets are beautiful! the jig is great.
  • Clever. I love that jig also.
  • Excellent work. Question, can you rotate the pallet on the right in the pic 90 degrees and still cover the gap? Would like to see what that looks like.
  • good call...
    i'll probably stick something under one end of it so it's not laying flat and has a bit of an angle to it when i get to it. the model hasn't made its way back to the workbench. its over on the benchwork while i'm working on details. once i have it on the workbench i'll be able to get started on the scenery.
    pallets skewed
  • did a little more on the diorama...
    tower pallets 2
    you can see in the background that the oil tank has been installed and so have the supports for the landings.

the boilers:

boilers and scrap parts

i finished all of the resin castings and decided to detail the area under the addition.

details under the addition 2

next up, i need to mix up another batch of the brown wash and hit those details with it, then on to the supports.
  • Nice!...love the grungy boilers.
  • Looks Great!