visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• thanks for the bail out karl. sounds plausible enough for me....
  • edited August 2018
    in case you've been wondering what i've been up to, i did manage to get all my ground cover done (not the green layer yet), but while i was doing that i realized that the legs for the oil talk were WAY out of plumb so i removed it and am redoing the legs.
    i also experimented with citadel agrellan earth paint in the tire tracks to get that dried,cracked look, but i'm going to redo all of that too. once that's done i will install the welding shop on the diorama and figure out how to make the roof removeable.
  • finished the welding shop over the last couple of days, and we're exhausted!
    welding shop finished 1

i made the roof removable, and right now the only thing holding the left roof in place is the ridge cap. i don't know what i'm gonna do for sure to make it a little more secure, but for now, it works. i didn't put any lighting in the structure and some day i'll probably regret that, but the truth is, i don't think the left roof will be on the structure very often.
    removable roof

so next up is to plant it on the diorama and start on the final placement of details, and i have ground cover work to do. kinda feels like i'm in the homestretch at this point.
    and for the first time, i have a sierra west scale model kit on the shelf waiting it's turn.
  • I'm on my phone Kevin so it's hard to enjoy in depth. But what I can see on this screen looks great.
    So good to see your progress on this amazing kit again.
    Keep us updated !!

Karl. A
  • Kevin your work is really inspiring and making me want to get going on my kit again.

Looking forward to more great updates like this 1.
  • Front porch details look great. Anxious to see the rest as it evolves.
  • edited September 2018
    Kevin,

Great to see your continued progress on this kit. Execution to date is inspirational (as Wes already pointed out) for us forum members yet to start this kit build. Along with Ken, I am anxious to see how everything evolves from here.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I like the sag in the roof you have going on there. Not sure if it was intentional or accident but it works.
  • the welding shop is placed for fit. it's not glued in yet. i'll do that tonight after work. i wanted to get this step done to see how the driveway lined up with the drive through. looks pretty good to me.
    Welding shop placed
  • Careful there Brian....commenting on a modelers sagging roof is right up there with congratulating a heavy women on her pregnancy;-))
    Terry
  • Kevin,

The welding shop looks terrific against the other O'Neill's structures. Making the roof removable makes perfect sense. It will allow for a great view inside to see all the awesome details in there you worked so hard on to make look like they are used regularly/daily. I'm thinking that gentleman sitting on the dock mimics you after a hard days work.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • You are at a feally fun stage Kevin, planting the structures and seeing things come together...
  • That little shed looks great Kevin. You nailed the gray color of the prototype siding. It really looks great.
  • Kevin, your modeling makes everything look like part of a whole, rather than individual buildings. Great craftsmanship.

George
  • thanks all. bryan, the roof doesn't have a sag in it. it must be the bad photography.
  • disaster struck today. my basement "flooded". it's actually seepage from stress cracks in the foundation. the last time it happened was in 2013 and it was much worse than this time, but i still had to remove the benchwork for the layout i don't yet have, and then paneling and drywall. it's going to be a while before i can get back to the workbench. i can barely find it right now.
    tomorrow i remove rest of the paneling/drywall and fix the stress crack. last time i used hydraulic cement and probably will this time too. then redrywall (after reframing out the wall) and painting. i think the "layout" idea is a thing of the past.
  • Sorry to hear that , buddy
    Terry
  • That's terrible news to read... I'm so sorry for your situation.

Karl.A
  • I am so sorry for you and wish you lots of courage in the aftermath of this terrible event. I also hope there isn't to much damage. Not on your home , and your SW work.
  • That is aweful. Sorry to hear it.
  • Good luck with the repairs, Kevin

George
  • Sorry to hear. Good luck with the repairs.
  • thank you everyone. i'm rolling up my sleeves and heading down there now to continue the demo work. i have a contractor/friend coming over saturday morning to survey the situation and give me a quote for the re-framing/drywall/paint. i need to get the demo done today.
  • Good Luck! Don't give up on the layout, that's way too important a goal!
  • Man, that's really bad. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Phil
  • Sorry for your disaster

• Put the layout in the living and dining room.
  • Oh boy! sorry to hear that Kevin.
  • the wife and i discussed it, and we both agree that a layout is never going to happen, so the room will be restored from a man-cave (sorta) to a family room that will have some shelving for dioramas.
    i realized that building structures has always taken priority over building a layout. if i have the choice i always opt for the workbench. so there it is. no layout but plenty of diorama building (she thinks i should sell em.....) i actually have done some spec work, so maybe i'll be able to do some more of that too.
  • The wife said? Another model railroad milk toast?