visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• I'll drink to that Kevin!!

Jerry
  • Glad to hear Kevin, have missed you posting...
  • edited December 2018
    thanks everyone. after about $5k it's done. i should be able to get the workbench cleared off tonight or tomorrow night, and then i can get back to o'neill's.
    believe it or not, the way i had everything scheduled (mold remediation, foundation crack repair, drywall replacement, painting, carpet) worked out exactly as planned. monday night, after the carpet was done, i had the biggest sh*teating grin on my face all night. the carpenter did have to come back tuesday to install the baseboards.
  • Good news for sure.
  • Kevin,

We are all looking forward to your posting again, but I'm certain no more than you who has been counting down the days and hours.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • GUYS, I FOUND MY WORKBENCH TONIGHT!!!WORKBENCH AFTER REMODEL
    by the way, that chair is worth about $1200. it's the most comfortable chair i've ever sat in, and it's been repurposed for the workbench, it sooo adjustable and incredibly comfortable, the best part is, i got for $0 from an ex-father in law. no more achin' back after a long session at the bench. woohoo!!!
    who's a happy guy?
  • i want one of those racks of sierra west details like karl has. i promise i'll make room for it.
  • That's one motivating workspace you've got there !!!! Glad for you.
  • Nice set up.
  • As folks were noting about my workspace, it's way too clean. You need to hurry up and get a kit in progress on it. Congratulations on your recovery from the disaster. Phil
  • o'niell's found it's way to the bench late last night. if the bears weren't playing the hated packers today, i'd be at the bench all day.
  • Nice work space Kevin...really happy your back in action!

• one of my brother in laws is a part owner too. i am not impressed.
  • spent the last two afternoons placing details in their final resting places. i'm working my way around the welding shop. i'm so unhappy with the driveway that i'll probably take it up and redo it. my "static grass" applicator is a $35.00 piece of crap and doesn't produce enough static to get the grass to stand up.
    i'll get new batteries for it an experiment a bit...
    welding shop deets final resting place 1
    sump area deets final resting place

as you can see, i left one side of the roof off and if i didn't like the drive under so much i would have made it removable.
    after the drive gets ripped up and redone, it's back to the manual to check the remaining boxes..
  • Looks great.
  • Kebmo,

I also have one of those cheap static grass applicators. I had the same problem. I was told that you shouldn't move the applicator around fast or shake it and that was the reason the grass didn't stand up.
  • The clutter is looking good. How are you going to make the drivethrough posts look set in place if they are removable?
  • edited December 2018
    brownbr said:

The clutter is looking good. How are you going to make the drivethrough posts look set in place if they are removable?

You could glue some tufts of grass to the bottom of the posts, this would hide any connection to the ground and be removeable with the posts,

Looking good Kevin, clutter is looking nice, my one suggestion would be to tone that yellow barrel down slightly with a light dusting of dry rusty chalk over the 'clean' bright areas.

Keep up the good work and keep the progress pics coming.
    Thanks

Karl.A

• Nice to see you back at the build Kevin. Lots of great details...love the gas pump.
  • i wasn't referring to the drive under being removable. what i meant was, i like the driveunder so much that i decided not to make the welding shop roof removable.
  • I understand now. Thanks.
  • I bought the GrassMaster 2.0 and it works AMAZING. Trouble is you start speaking German and putting grass EVERYWHERE!
  • edited January 2019
    I use it too and it works really great.
  • edited January 2019
    i'm spending my day pulling up the track and moving it 1/4" away from the building, and last night i ripped up the driveway for a redo. pics once the glue dries and the track is re-ballasted (with dirt). the driveway will be a longer slog. i'm doing an experimental driveway on an extra piece of foam, trying to follow Karl's method. yesterday i ground up some dried floral moss and leaves (unfortunately i have a garage full of leaves) i bought an $18 blender.
  • edited January 2019
    Put water in your cheap blender if you use it prolonged or the blade cog will melt, same for one of those cheap food 'choppers'. They overheat and melt the plastic cogs real quick if you're not careful and use them for more than 30sec 'bursts'. Quick blends/pulses are OK, but let it cool down between or add water.

Sorry to get off topic but just wanted to throw that 'experience' in there for you and anyone else.

Cant wait to see it come back together, I think moving that track was def the right way to go, sometimes it's hard to backtrack, but you'll be glad you did..... 'Never Compromise"

Karl.A
  • Sounds like advice from experience Karl.
  • Karl is right. I inherited a more expensive mini blender and after grinding up some leaves, I started smelling burnt plastic. I'll keep in my your recommendation for 30 second bursts. Phil
  • 30 second bursts is the plan of the day.
  • ow.....
    nothing is permanent in this scene, i'm just trolling for opinions.....shed and fence

i've been working my way around the diorama installing details and thought this might work. it's under a direct light, so that's the reason the fence looks so white. actually, it's stained with chalks and alcohol, and i damp brushed some ivory acrylic paint on it and added a few signs.

left side fence

left side pallets

the ground cover where the shed is hasn't been glued down yet, and that's why theres a difference in color.
    anyway, ....should i lose the shed and fence, or keep it in and detail the hell out of it.
    i still have plenty to go.
  • Kevin, I like the fence, but it is hiding the shed. I would move it so we can see it. Just a suggestion. Phil