visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• I like the idea of a fence in the corner. I agree with Phil on the use of a privacy fence. It just blocks too much of the good stuff we want to see.
  • i think i'll work up a two or three rail fence for the corner
  • Kevin,
    I like the shed (great possibilities for detailing) but agree the fence is blocking the scene. A rail fence or wire fence would allow more viewing.
  • I'm in with scraping the fence as well. Serves little purpose other than hiding the view as the shed is easily accessible despite the fence. My eye is immediately drawn to the sharp angles of the fence and the sign and away from your great main structure. Shed can be highly detailed and would compliment the main facility.
  • i've already tossed the fence and started on a much smaller two rail fence.
  • just the fence. the shed stays.
  • excellent detailing
  • i was in the process of finishing the scenery up and my grass tech II went on the fritz, so i called them and returned it. Once i get the replacement i'll be able to get back to work on things.
  • Looking forward to some updates and pics with the scenery!
  • Looking forward to it, keep us updated as soon as something happens.

Karl.A
  • i just spoke with grass tech and he received it today and will be sending the replacement out today or tomorrow, so i'm probably looking at mid-week before i get it. i have no meetings next week so i should be able to get back to it soon.
  • edited February 2019
    $350 a month? do you own a golf course or something?
    the grass tech is a static grass applicator. the one i had was making a noise like a geiger counter and not working. when i called the owner of the company he told me that they are supposed to be silent and i should send it directly to him rather than where i bought it (scenic express). he got it today and he'll send the new one out this afternoon (sweet).
    i also asked him a couple of questions about applying static grass and i was pretty surprised at his answer. he uses undiluted wood glue. when i asked how he dealt with it drying yellow he said he scrapes earth tone pigment into the glue. i thought that was a pretty good tip.
    when i asked him how he goes about stacking static grass (for example: putting 6mm grass right directly on top of 2mm grass) he said he dry brushes elmer's white glue full strength on the tips of the 2mm grass. i still haven't quite figured out how that's even a possibility.
  • Good tips on the grass. I really like the look of static grass. Looking forward to seeing yours grow.
  • it was 12 degrees here today so it's hard for me to have pity.
    alligator and snake removal. that's kinda creepy. i'll stick with the raccoons and squirrels and the crappy winters.
  • Ed, I remember being in FL for a meeting once. There were these oversized black squirrels running all over the resort where we stayed. They became affectionately known as the "monkey-rat bastards" because no one was completely sure what they were.
  • i got my replacement grass tech yesterday, and this morning i experimented on a piece of scrap 1/4" foam. after painting it brown, i put down a layer of 2mm grass mixing rembrandt pastel powder into straight wood glue. once that dried i hit it with hair spray (just to see if it would work) and stacked some 6mm static grass on top of the 2mm grass.
    thoughts?
    1st attempt at stacking static grass
  • i've been experimenting with stacking the 6mm static grass on top of the 2mm grass. here's the first layer:1st application of 6mm on top of 2mm

here's a second layer:

2nd application of 6mm

and here's a 3d layer:

3rd application of 6mm

i think its a winner. thoughts?
  • Looks quite convincing and very lush.
  • i did one more application. it really couldn't be easier once you put the 2mm down. a quick spray of cheap hairspray and apply the grass. immediately after that you can just keep doing the same thing until you get the height of grass you want. this pic is the 4th layer of 6mm applied directly on top of the previous layer. that grass tech II is a helluva tool. i'm real glad i bought it.
    4th application
  • Looks real good !
  • For 350.00 a month I'd want the grass that doesn't grow on the ground!!

Jerry
  • Kevin. Cut the lawn today. ......Carl.........

I like the stripes a lot better.
  • Good experiment. I love the look of grass applied this way.
  • Kevin,
    Looks good. I have not been a big fan of static grass because I always thought it looked too even, but your multi applications have really worked well. Thanks for sharing.
    Tom
  • edited February 2019
    robert-thanks.
    jerry-me too.
    carl-stripes?
    bryan-i like it too. i think i'll be using it alot.
    tom-thanks.
  • Kevin, looks real good. Try blending a little burnt grass or autumn grass for a little more contrast. I usually have the burnt grass as the longer grass. Phil
  • Good experimentation Kevin with great results. Looking forward to seeing this on the diorama.

Karl.A
  • Right on Kevin...your new machine is getting the job done.
  • Kevin,

As long as you are experimenting and before you settle on this color for your tall grass give some consideration to blended colors, or even better yet try a few experiments with blending colors for a more natural look. I think you will like it.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • what i've used is pretty well blended. there's at least 4 colors in there. iphone camera coupled with a lousy eye and a shaky hand means crappy pictures. sorry about that.