visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• Kevin,

Good to hear that you had already blended the grass. I'm sure it will look great. When observing the grass in a setting with structures it will take on a different appearance. Looking forward to your next steps.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

I just saw your water tower placement over the tall grass over on Joel's O'Neills build. Looks like you may have also added some wildflowers to add interest. It looks terrific! http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/988/G70954JQGL7C.JPG

Keep on keeping on!

Later, Dave
  • Kevin, I'm really interested in the overall look and your technique when applying the static grass. When I apply 2mm and 6 mm together, they pretty much settle to their respective heights. With your technique of first applying 2 mm, spraying with hairspray, and then applying 6mm, it looks much taller. How do you apply the 6 mm? I wouldn't think that the static grass applicator would work. Can you give more details on the second step? Thanks. Phil
  • edited February 2019

Thanks for asking that question Phil. I'm in agreement, Kevin, inquiring minds would like to know a bit more about your tall grass technique.

• edited February 2019
    sure. here's what the owner of grass tech said he does and what i did:
    squeeze out a good sized blob of yellow wood glue.
    scrape earth toned powders into it and mix it up well.
    i used a crappy paint brush and stippled the glue where i want grass.
    load up 2mm in the applicator and stick the ground pin in the glue field (important). apply the 2mm grass.
    you don't even have to wait until the glue dries (but when it dries its the color of the powder you scraped into it. (so don't use reds and yellows :))
    load up your applicator with the 6mm. here's where i deviated from what he does:

mask off any areas you don't want grass (with paper or whatever), and spray the 2mm with a light spritz of cheap hair spray. stick the ground pin in the hair spray field and apply. he says that he dry brushes straight white glue on the tips of the 2mm. that seemed a bit difficult to me so i tried the hair spray and it worked great.
    you can keep stacking or stop when your grass is at the height you want. it's really pretty easy. in the example i posted there are four applications of 6mm on top of the 2mm and i did them one right after the other. no waiting.
    i gotta warn you though.....the stuff gets everywhere. i bought a woodland scenics model vacuum and it helps but it's not a very strong vacuum.
  • Thanks Kevin. I’ll give it a try. Phil
  • Thanks Kevin.

• let me know how it works for you.
  • i finished o'neill's. i won't have pics until my friend's wife brings her photography equipment over and takes them. hopefully this weekend, but i don't know for sure when that will happen.
  • tease!
  • i'm also still working on a few "details" that didn't come wit the kit but will be in the diorama.
  • engine909 said:

Consider taking action.I will back you.

Hah! Will do...

• This is a great thread. I just started "staining" the first round of sticks for my build. Learning a lot reading through here. Great job.
  • Question for Brett....trying to allow the proper space on the layout....do you have a rough measurement for the "O" scale Mortons Foundry?.....need to leave enough real estate net to O'Neills? Thanks!
  • Looking forward to those photo's, its going to be great to see it complete.

Karl.A
  • i have gigs friday and saturday nights and it's been tough to get my friend's wife together for pictures, but i'm working on it. i'm waiting for a couple of figures to get here from britain, and then i can finish the last scene.

while waiting on the figures and her availability, i started detailing the wood for the railroad camp.
  • here are some iphone shot of my o'neill's. since these were taken i added a rusted out pickup truck and i'm waiting for two figures to come from britain so i can complete the scene.1

Question for Brett....trying to allow the proper space on the layout....do you have a rough measurement for the "O" scale Mortons Foundry?.....need to leave enough real estate net to O'Neills? Thanks!

• i have no idea how MuddyCreek's comment got in there.
  • Wow Kevin, your mini-scenes are well done and nicely populated with details. So much to look at. I like the dark dirt you worked in, gives a nice unique look. Well done my friend.
  • thanks ken. it's astonishing how much detail is on that small piece of wood.
  • When are you going to clean up the yard, I guess i will have to call the property manager to get something done.

Nice work Kevin.
  • A fine job all the way around.
  • Can't agree more. Well done.
  • i think you guys are just being nice......
    i look at your work and think, "oh my gosh". i look at mine and say, "oh brother".
  • Kevin. You the MAN.
  • no you are....
  • Great job Kevin! Love the details and clutter.
  • thanks tom. here's a shot of the final scene i was working on.
    last scene
    the figures are from omen. i recommend them highly because they're some of the best figures i've seen. good detail and they paint up nice.
  • by the way, the figures, truck and cinder block are just placed there and haven't been glued in yet.
  • is that on a 12" by 12" piece of foam....or bigger?.....and I have no idea how my posting got mixed in either....
  • I like the worker dudes.