visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• Looks great! Keep on going your doing just fine.

Jerry
  • got the main building glued up this morning between yard work chores. my landscapers all told this was going to be a brutal year for weeds due the week of 70 degree temps in february. boy were they right..... 2 days of weeding and i still have one whole side of the house left to do...

main bldg glued 1
    main bldg glued 2
    main bldg glued 3
    main bldg glued 4
    loading dock 1
    loading dock 2
    we've got friends coming over for dinner and drinks tonight, so that's it for today. i hope everybody has a fun and safe memorial day weekend.
  • by the way....
    i didn't do the view block per the instructions (sorry brett). i glued black paper behind all the windows/doors instead.
  • What a great milestone of any build...getting the first structure together! Nicely done Kevin. The office addition turned out terrific and following the manual color choice was a good move.
  • Looks great.
  • Despite not going with green and yellow boards...sorry Ed.
  • i managed to get the first tower wall sided today.
    towerwall1sided

and a close up

towerwall1closeup
  • Very nice! Just the right amount of weathering on the boards and the color looks great.
  • looks great!
  • Each individual board stands out in a good way which makes the overall wall look so realistic.
  • thanks all. i appreciate you looking.
    the picture of the wall revealed that i lost a board during trimming, so that's been replaced and i'm starting the rear wall this morning. i think the tower will be finished by the end of the week.
  • Well done, Kevin! Just the right amount of variation in the color, shape and condition of the wood to make the wall visually interesting.
  • Kevin looks really good nice coloring and weathering.

Jerry
  • How did I miss your build start...oh well.....looks great so far as many have already stated. I just posted my first few pictures....I left out a lot of the staining and chalk work as you have covered that well. Our builds are pretty similar...but just enough different. Best of luck with yours...now i need to get back to mine...
  • thanks all, i appreciate the encouraging words. it's nice to know you're on the right track. i might not be able to get back to the bench for a couple days though. so muddy...feel free to blow right by me.
  • i forgot to mention that i got the rear wall sided today, but its spending the night under weights before i trim it up.
  • Hey Kevin, lookin good
  • edited May 2017
    My progress has been slow too...I'm a career firefighter...and my hours get screwy....I just finished up the main building and have the addition started...I may catch up....but then again...may not....might get some more photos up later tonight...
  • Last thing you want to do is rush anything...take your time and savor the work! Look forward to seeing how things come together.
  • i managed to get tower wall 3 sided yesterday and hope to finish siding wall 4 today. so far i've burned through a whole box of toothpicks (250) on the tower.
    i am really enjoying this kit. alot...
  • I definitely plan to take my time on the build....rest assured...Ken...that's a lot of knot holes....I like to get the walls done first, then go back and add the knot holes....this way I can space them so as not to get too many knots in one area...I'll post a few photos of one of the walls once I do this. It's also easier to do a knot right at the edge of the board once they are glued up....
  • Hey Kevin, lookin good
  • Looking great Kevin, the walls are looking well,
    as Ken rightly says, take your time, it will pay dividends.
  • all four tower walls are now sided, three are trimmed, and the 4th wall is sitting under weights waiting to be trimmed. i have band rehearsal tonight so it's gonna sit under the weights til tomorrow. i'll trim it and sand all walls and apply the corner trims and trim out the rough openings. i also painted and weathered the vents and mailbox and built the sign bases.
    have i mentioned how much fun this kit is?
  • Yes you did. I see your smiling! Keep up the great work.

Jerry
  • It's looking very nice. Good job. Phil
  • the tower walls are sided and trimmed. i have only sanded two of them at this time, but i'll have time over the weekend to hopefully finish all 4 walls and glue them up.towerwallssidedandtrimmed
  • Colour and variation looks great kebmo.
    As I study more I see the knots, as I look harder I see more and more of them.... perfect.

Karl.A
  • thanks karl!
  • 4 tower walls trimmed, detailed and ready for windows. i realize the vents don't look straittower walls trimmed out

window/door components primed and dirtied

windows primed with khaki paint and dirtied with brown pastel

and here are the windows after the first stippled layer of paint.
    windows paint stippled on 1st coaf