visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

Comments

• i've still got the boards laid out, so swiping a bit more paint on them won't be an issue. i'll pull out the boards that don't need an additional paint and give it a go.
    i'll post a pic or two after the additional paint has been applied.

thanks ed. i don't like too many knot holes either. if it was shed or a shack (or a tree fort....:) ), okay then, lots of knots, but usually the boards were pretty "clear" when being used as siding.
    the board texture is more evident in person than in the photos. i'm so bad with the camera.
  • Great start on the paint "peel" technique, so easy and fast and the look is wonderful. As Brett mentioned, some of the boards are a bit lean on paint. I really like the following boards as an example of what my taste would be:

Last picture, from the right going left, board #3, 7, 8, etc...I see just the rioght amount of paint, no bold stop and start lines, plenty of that wonderful detailed wood showing through but enough even paint application that it looks like the paint is wearing off.
  • 'swiped' some additional paint on the boards that i felt needed it. a few of the boards went all "hockey stick" on me and won't behave laying flat on the glass, but when it comes time to glue them i'll employ weights to keep 'em flat.
    laying the bastids out for the photo is a bigger pain in the butt than adding paint to them.
    additional paint

sorry, can't do a close up shot. all i did was increase the overall coverage of the paint on about half the boards.
  • Looking good, Kevin.
    Hold on to those boards that seem to have too much paint or didn't get enough peel. I like to use those in areas that had some protection from the elements: under roof over hangs, widow sills, peaks, etc.
    The range of colors looks on target to me. Don't fret too much over the handful of warped sticks--save those for short runs and fill-in spots.
  • in the meantime i framed out the door and window.....
    i'll start on the siding tomorrow. the words, "c'mon upstairs, dinner's ready" curtailed the day's modeling.
    by the way....i started on the greenery for my backwoods water tower. i know it's not swsm related, but i built it to sit on the same siding and woodcutter's shack, so i guess it's a related....
    greenery1
    greenery3
    greenery4
    that pathetic little "tree" is a placeholder for when i get around to building some pine trees.

• Looks really nice to me!
  • enough about water towers....
    i managed to side the right wall of the main building, and in doing so, i learned of the brilliant logic of brett's instructions. start siding the wall that won't be seen so the modeler can figure out how it's gonna work. i have a couple of alignment mistakes, but now i know what they are and they (hopefully) won't happen again.
    i'm pretty happy with the coloring though. i do plan to hit it with chalks right before glue-up.
    mainbldrghtwlsided
    mainbldrghtwallsided2
    i used the wrong lumber on the side trim on the upper window and this pushed the boards just a hair off line.
  • Looks like you have the hang of it. Looks good keep going.

Jerry
  • i've got 3 of the main building walls boarded. i still need to sand the edges and detail the board bottoms.
    comments, critiques, advise welcome....
    1st wall boarded
    2nd wall boarded
    3rd wall boarded
  • really looking good Kevin. No critique from my side.
  • edited May 2017
    The walls look wonderful. You have done a great job of exploiting the nature of board on board modeling and that's what it's all about. If you want to even out the coloration a bit try using a little chalk on your finger and lightly rub it in. A little chalk, lightly... A little chalk, lightly... especially on the areas with the brightest boards...
  • i plan to finish the fourth wall today and then i will attempt to blend it all a bit.
  • Nicely done Kevin. The weathering and detail on the boards look great...subtile nail holes, board ends with character and not overdone.
  • Looking great Kevin, really nice work on the effects, walls look great at this stage, nicely done indeed.

Karl.A
  • thank you ken and karl, coming from the likes of you guys, i means alot.
    all 4 main building walls are now boarded up. i hit them with a generous amount of 408.5 to kill the bright white spots. the last inch or so had me worrying about running out of boards, but as usual....no reason to worry.
    i still haven't sanded the edges or added the corner trim, but i'm getting there.
    4 walls boarded

a close shot of the rear wall board details. i'm going to spend a good deal of time detailing the bottom of the boards in the areas where they contact the ground, but today was my last day of modeling for a few days. work.....

closeuprearwall

and i thought i'd add a picture of my nail hole tool. it gives me more control than a pin, i can actually hold it so i can see what i'm doing, and the holes aren't overly large.

nail hole tool
  • i really like the fact that the overall tone of the coloring is a gray, and no gray pigment was added at all. two chalks, both in the brown family, and an ivory paint.
  • That tool reminds me of a guy in a white lab coat coming at me with that thing and saying "open wide this won't hurt a bit"!...I get your "point" about the angle allowing you to get close and see the business end. Nice set of walls there ready to go. I like the nail holes and you achieved a nice variety of looks particularly nice are the ones that aren't just holes but actually split the end of the board, not all just some, perfect...see, didn't think anyone would notice! When you applied the 408.5 did you lightly rub it in with your finger as the next to last picture seems untreated? I forget that I come from a family of grunge!...looking good.
  • no, i didn't use my finger. i'm too heavy-fingered. i did it on some of the green trim and i just don't have a light enough touch. i used a semi-stiff round brush. i also really hope i didn't jump the shark...gave it a brushing of a/i and it's all sitting under weights right now.
  • I like the sawbanding and split nail holes on random boards
  • A very nice job.

Jerry
  • Kevin,
    The walls and coloring of the walls is really exceptional. This is really an awesome kit and looking forward to seeing more.
    Jim
  • been a while since i had a chance to get back to the bench. i got the window and door in the left wall done last night and i'm hoping to get the other three walls done today and maybe even get them glued together:
    left wall windowanddoor1

and then there's this:
    from '85 to '95 i was a letter carrier in an affluent suburb on the chicago north shore. back then a starter home meant plunking down $350-400k, and tearing it down to put up a mcmansion. howinthehell did this guy ever get a building permit to put up this travesty? the east wall is less than 6' wide and the west wall less than 16'. if i were one of the neighboring homes i would be furious.

Deerfield house
  • got the rest of the main building walls detailed, and now its time for yard work....
    right wall detailed
    front wall detailed
  • it looks like a damn wedge of cheese.....
  • well done!
  • @ed... he did. a nice on30 logging plan
    @brett... thanks.
  • Kevin looks great.

Jerry
  • ed
    i sent you an email
  • Nice progress and the doors and windows look great. Transom window is nicley done. Love the fire extinguisher. Can't wait to see the walls together...
  • thanks ken.
    i finished detailing the rear wall. i gotta say...i've built kits from an awful lot of manufacturers and i've never seen anything as precise as brett's kits are. when i installed the dock doors (for example), the doors just fell into place, fitting perfectly.
    speaking of the dock doors...i need some opinions. is this too much?

rear wall detailed

i detailed all the boards for the small addition, and i'm getting ready to stain them. thing is, i kinda want to do a different color. not the base color...i'll use the standard chalks for that, but the final color... i'm thinking about using the chunk of grout sponge, dry-stipple technique to apply a craft paint. i'm thinking about a yellow or a red, but i'd like some feedback from the pros on this forum before i do anything with color. thoughts would be appreciated.