visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the Engine House at Eureka Springs

Comments

• the asbestos wrap is an OSHA hazard but looks mighty fine.
  • Thanks Rick. Probably will end up over engineering the scene once I get the main drive pulley and line shaft set up...but haven’t modeled a boiler and steam engine before so having fun with it none the less! Eureka Springs is turning out to be busier than originally planned which may be a bad thing in the end...we’ll see.

Appreciate that Kevin.

The pipes needed something for a little visual interest, good you noticed Bryan, you’re one for those small details as well!
  • Ken HO that is some awesome work!!

Jerry
  • Wow. Love it.
  • Awesome work!
  • Absolutely FANTASTIC!
  • Impressive as always Ken.
  • Thanks much Jerry...very fiddly in parts!

Glad to hear Rusty, and nice hearing from you.

Hey Tom, appreciate the support and your thoughts here.

Thanks Brett and I have begun detailing and using some of your 3D detail parts starting with the Boiler "house" here. When I get to finished photos will point them out as I go. Have the fire extinguisher hanging on a post just out of view!

Thanks Emery, and as I mentioned to Brett I'm just getting started detailing the 3D stuff you wizards have created. Honored to be able to incorporate them in my project here.

Ken
  • Just beautiful. I love the fact that it is it's own little unit and will be detailed and then plugged into the major structure.
  • Thanks Joel and that’s nifty that you noticed that. It will end up partially below grade. Gives it a different look than just placed on an above ground pad.
  • i for one, can't wait to see how this turns out/
  • Hopefully within the next month or so I’ll have the whole project about done. Interior details is what took so long...In the end there will be 4 separate models constructed in addition to the Eureka Springs structure; boiler, steam engine, hoist, and crane...The machine shop has been changed to include a below ground level among other things...much yet to do.
  • sounds pretty cool. take your time, we'll wait. :)
  • Thanks for the support Kevin, makes it all worth while.
  • SUPER !!!!
  • Always look forward to seeing what you do with SW kits. You always add some nice twists and give us all ideas.
  • Thanks Robert.

Appreciate your thoughts Tom and this build will certainly have plenty of "twists" Lol.
  • Wow Ken. You just keep raising the bar!!! Machinery is your things. Outstanding realism. Phil
  • Thanks Phil, nice hearing from you.
  • No matter where you look here, Ken, such a high quality of modeling. The detail is mind blowing and then seeing the small scene with your fingers for scale makes it seem like black magic. It’s so nice to be seeing the fine modeling on this forum again.
  • Hey Geo, nice to hear from you! Appreciate the very kind note here. I started out this build with no plans to detail the interior above the basics but that soon changed...like right after I started! Lol. I worked all weekend on it and the line shaft, boiler and engine house are almost done...the diorama has much more work to go but close to scenic work. Have a couple of loading/unloading areas to get done, a utility pole, couple of tanks (love tanks), a jib crane is done just need to attach it to the building, and the main roof...enough to keep me busy for a good while!
  • edited August 2021
    Providing an update on my HO/HOn3 Eureka Springs project. Finished the third and final phase of the interior detailing and secured the last remaining wall of the main engine house.

IMG_1251 (2)

General view of the interior from the large open east side of Eureka Springs. I was able to include some of the wonderfully detailed 3D printed SWSM detail parts, I will point those out as I go through the images. The feature in the center is a movable elevated platform for locomotive cleaning and maintenance. Note the fire extinguisher mounted on the exterior wall on the right...Brett's 3D detail...incredible.

IMG_1236 (1)

Shot of the line shaft operating a couple pieces of equipment. The maintenance platform is in the middle, note the water line and hose for cleaning locos and equipment...I found a reason for the grate between the rails...Lol.

IMG_1242

View from the north side of Eureka Springs.

IMG_1252

Close up of the wheel lathe.

IMG_1257

Featuring the line shaft config. The two screw jacks tucked beside the open stall are Brett's 3D printed parts...absolutely flawless pieces with outstanding detail!

IMG_1254

Other end and the other, smaller lathe, with several of SWSM 3D Details. SierraWest 3D Details: Tank cylinder without the valve, open wood barrel, two types of screw jacks, open top fuel can behind the screw jacks.

IMG_1245

View of the engine and boiler shed and line shaft. I decided to do something a bit different and made the shed with a below ground floor and a foundation. There is a grate covered drain in the back corner and the diorama terrain grade will slope away exposing the drain pipe on the outside...more on that with the scenic work.

IMG_1267

Additional view of the shed without the roof finished of course. The roof will be corrugated metal.

IMG_1234

View of the electrical box and wiring for the shop lights that don't work! Lol. Roof is removable so have to keep the details honest...

IMG_1221

Sneek Peek...I completely re-designed the attached machine shop...obviously! Brett's original stone wall design gave me the idea to re-work the structure to have not a stone wall but a stone foundation and actual lower level. That lower door leads to a functional room with actual working lights...more on that later on...
  • Hard to believe this level of believable detail is possible in HO. Mind blown. Again.

George
  • Thanks much Geo. Glad to have the interior(s) done as I think the rest will go quite a bit quicker!
  • Ken, absolutely fantastic work. Keep up your great work!!
  • I love how you make changes that make complete sense that add so much to the model. The depressed engine shed and the lower room under the machine shop. Wow. Not to mention that movable platform for better access to the locomotives for cleaning and repair. Absolutely impressive Ken....Rick
  • gobsmacked
  • Thanks Pappy, and you know my mo...slow and steady! Loll

Appreciate that Rick. I'll get some pictures of that lower room later on as I mentioned.

I'll take that Kevin, thanks buddy!
  • Agree Ken, slow and take your time my friend
  • Just fantastic work Ken, slow or not, just great. I like to see that kit in O scale...hm hm hm...... :wink: