visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the Engine House at Eureka Springs

Comments

• Ken, this is beautiful work and I think even your screw ups are looking great... :smiley:
  • Thanks much Robert. Got to fix an issue in this last pic as well! Geesh...good example of how taking pictures is a valuable tool in modeling.
  • Love the overhead crane
  • Thanks Bryan, its a nice feature to build details around.
  • Looks great Ken!
  • Hi Steve...nice hearing from you and appreciate the note here.
  • Outstanding! Love the use of the overhead crane indoors. The finishes on the walls and floor give a WELL used appearance! also like the use and placement of details. Great work Ken!
  • That last shot is incredible. Beautiful modeling and photography.
  • Thanks Tom. The pics make the floor a bit washed out as they are a bit darker.

Appreciate that Brett. I'm feeling pretty good about the interior detailing concepts I have going...will post more soon as the weather improves. Took a deep breath and carved out a 3" x 4" chunk of diorama base up near the rear of the shop...more on that later.
  • The detail you portray on that scale is staggering. Just unbelievable Ken.
  • Hey thanks Emery, really nice having you here.
  • Ken, the floor just looks dusty and dirty to me in the photo
  • Right Tom, it is but it's got a bit darker look to me in person. Kind of that grungy ground in oil and dirt feel to it. I'll clear that up on the next round of pictures.
  • Got a nice afternoon to re-take the images of phase three of the interior detailing.

IMG_0575

IMG_0621

IMG_0586

IMG_0618

IMG_0581

IMG_0718

IMG_0732

IMG_0733

IMG_0751
  • Beautiful, just popped in the house to get a beer and I hit refresh on the screen and got this, awesome work Ken.
    First thing I noticed was the shadowing around the studs, rafter/peak on the walls... nicely done, makes such a subtle elevation doesn't it...
    I'll come back for further admiration when the sun goes down.
  • edited May 2021
    Gorgeous.
    The detail is a testament to what is capable in HO.
    The coloring is a testament to what is capable in the hands of an artist.
    Bravo.
  • Did anybody say 'detail' ? Just awesome Ken.
  • I enjoy looking for the details on your details. What stuck out to me with this batch is the teeny labels on cans and barrels, the grease marked scrap barrel and the bucket hanging on the wall.
  • Great detailing again Ken. Always a pleasure to look these pictures.
  • Great work Ken.
  • Ken,

EUREKA !!!

This is some extraordinarily fine modeling. Now I have to remember to take photos of the interior before placing the final wall/walls in place to show details that can't be seen except by the modeler once everything is buttoned up.
    Can you outline the colors of chalk and methods you used to color the outside batten on board exterior siding?
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/740/LZ0IE967Q85M.jpg

Thanks. Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Hey Thanks Karl, nifty you noticing that. Worked harder on the "grimy" walls than many of the actual details!

Appreciate that Rusty! Nice having you on the forum.

Thanks Robert. I find this kind of detail work hard to get started with, but once I get rolling it gets really enjoyable.

Well Bryan, I can always count on you to pick out the small subtile details! Makes it so worthwhile when you know, that I know, that you know it's there!

Thanks so much Emery, and also appreciate all you do including the 3D work!

Thanks Stephen and nice hearing from you.

Really appreciate the kind words here Dave. Right, I knew I needed to take pictures in stages as I worked towards the side with the missing wall. Once the walls up then I reverse the angle and take a few pics of what's along that wall and done!

Sure, let me get a better pic of the siding and I'll outline how I got there.
  • OK Dave here's what I did in working up the walls (more than you requested but takes it through all steps):

Grained the raw strip wood with a wire brush.
    Lightly sanded the edges and ran through steel wool to remove "fuzzies"
    Applied a general AI stain to get a base grayish color.
    Hand selected each board and detailed the business end to fit my overall plan for the rotted damaged areas.
    Applied various chalks (dry) to the boards in specific areas, particularly at the board ends. Set the chalk with mineral spirits and applied a damp brushing of the red paint.
    Once dry to the touch applied steel wool to create the worn peeling effect. Same treatment for the battens. Battens and boards were completely colored before gluing to the framing. Final fiddly detailing once the wall was complete.

IMG_9644

IMG_9659
  • Great work Ken! Love all your detailing. So much to study. I see something new each time I look.
  • Ken,

Thanks. Great explanation as always. Now I have to experiment to get the effect I want, weathered but not neglected or abandoned. I think that dry brushing is the key to achieving the look I want. I will be working with clapboard/lap siding.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Love your builds Ken!
    I'm on my 6th SW kit and learning from you and others here.
    Keep up your great work
  • Thanks Tom.
    You bet Dave, anytime.
    Appreciate that Pappy and nice to hear 6 SWSM builds under your belt!
  • Wish I can purchase this HO kit from Brett. Most of the HO kits are sold out or unavailable at this time. Going to get bored if no more Bretts kits available.
    Just kidding, I have a few unlimited kits to build from brand x but prefer Bretts kits by far.

Waiting for the HO version of the RiverFront!!

Ken, keep up your great builds!!
  • I hear ya Pappy!...I spent about 6 months tracking down, on the secondary market, all of SWSM HO/HOn3 kits and securing them all for future builds. The RiverFront is destine to be a classic and one that I'm thrilled to have a chance to build!...Thanks for your morale support and look forward to more "knocking elbows" with ya! Lol.
  • I do have the BlueSky Company kit which I believe is Bretts first kit.
    Bought at a train show a while back for about $75 bucks.
    Will keep on my back burner for now.
    Can't wait for the RiverFront!! as you.