visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the Engine House at Eureka Springs

Comments

• Finished up the interior of the Machine Shop. You'll notice a couple machines with belt drive pulleys...without belt drive!...well my plan is to keep things reasonable. Most of the facility will have electrical service so those machines have been converted. The Machine Shop is lit with two LEDs in the ceiling (see the wad of wires...lol). Haven't decided on the main engine house yet but probably won't as the roof of the engine house Brett designed to be removable.

Wanted to get this picture logged in before the main engine house details obscured the view! Keep in mind the shop room measures a whopping 3 3/4" x 3"...about the size of your palm!

IMG_0260
  • fantastic job! Rick
  • Looks great.
  • Appreciate that Rick...

Thanks much Bryan...
  • Awesome stuff Ken. Such a beautiful shot of such a small space. I love the worn floorboards.
  • edited April 2021
    With Ken's permission I am posting a couple pics from the Diamond and Caldor Railway book. These two shots in particular inspired the design of this kit especially. Great book with tons of modeling ideas.

IMG_0341

IMG_0342
  • Nice Brett...I'm actually modeling the overhead storage area seen there behind the ole pot belly stove.
  • Ken, thanks for putting this in it’s true perspective. We forget sometimes how small these spaces are. However, you’ve packed in the details!! Great work. Phil
  • Thanks much Phil...
  • Great work Ken! Up to your usual grungy standards. Especially like the grimy, sooty walls.
  • Grungy?, Grimy?, Sooty?...best compliment I could ask for! lol. Thanks Tom.
  • You did a great job on that door knob! (LOL)
  • WooWhoo!...somebody noticed!...
  • edited April 2021
    Limited update...
    The roof of the machine shop is almost done. I made an exhaust stack from scratch for the wood stove in the machine shop. I designed one just like the one here (see image) for my BlueSky build and decided to do another one here. The BlueSky stack was about twice this size...tedious work in this scale! I'm not finished with the detailing yet but close.

IMG_0320
  • Wow! That takes an eagle eye and super steady hand. Well done Ken.....Rick
  • sheesh.......
    awesome detail. you should let brett cast it for future kits.
    or his new details line. poke poke, hint hint.
  • edited April 2021
    Right Rick...tedious work but worth it as it adds a bit of visual interest to an otherwise plain stack.

Thanks Kevin. I can’t wait for the 1:87 versions of Brett’s 3D work!
  • Great job Ken. Not something I would attempt. I know my limitations. LOL Phil
  • Thanks Phil...just fiddly...
  • edited April 2021
    Push the limits, boundaries Phil, you got it.

Stack looks great Ken.

I'm sitting here waiting for the "how to"...
  • edited April 2021
    That would be like me showing Van Gogh how I paint by numbers!lol...Thanks my friend...
  • Thank you,
    OK, I'll do it the next time I do one...
  • Placed my stack on the machine shop roof, added the ridge cap, and a few patches for visual interest. Next up is placing the battens on the main engine house wall where the roof of the machine shop butts up against it. Left those off so roof would fit snug and flush against the wall. Once that’s complete then attention will return to the interior of the main engine house...more as it develops...
  • While watching you finish up the outside is loads of fun... I am looking very forward to seeing the way you detail the interior!
  • Appreciate the note and now that the Machine Shop is basically done I can get back to interior work. I know I’m behind on exterior updates but want to wait until the interior is completed as I left the one wall off to allow access to the interior. The interior is shaping up really well...Your interior wall designs offer wonderful modeling opportunities and I’m taking advantage of those. What’s really nifty is how your individual interior walls allow me to put the first wall in and detail the entire area and document it without the second interior wall obscuring the view! Then I’ll put the second interior wall in and detail that area and so on documenting each”level” so to speak working out towards the wall I left off.
  • Looking forward to your work on the interior.
  • Have completed the second phase of the interior of Eureka Springs (Ho/HOn3), save for a few tweaks after seeing the pictures here. The overhead storage area above the "office" was inspired by the photo on page 75 of the book; El Dorado Narrow Gauge The Diamond & Caldor Railway by Mallory Hope Ferrell. Brett posted a picture of that page above...just had to model it...the chain link inspired by the modeling of Dave Revelia.

Next up will be phase three which includes the second interior wall and a chain hoist...more later...Ken

IMG_0381

IMG_0436

IMG_0423

IMG_0392

IMG_0448

IMG_0445

IMG_0444

IMG_0394
  • Wow, this is some incredible work Ken! That loft area is a cool little scene. Love it!
  • Thanks Bill, saw that and just had to model it!
  • Amazing work Ken! So much to look at. The loft is a great addition. Lots of great little detail scenes.