visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• These were challenging but definitely worth the effort. As i was doing the rusting frames I really thought it would look overdone and flat but as usual no need to worry, the technique provided works perfectly!
    Soon It will start to look like a building.
  • Ed knows even the classics. He dances around his builds, which are the 'Great Unknowns to us', the Bolero. Extra effort always pays.

anyway, almost.. :wink: Here it did.
  • edited April 2020
    Aka Bob Dylan... Anyways, this is a very nice build to follow. Great results.
  • KCSTrains said:

TomH said:

Thanks guys! As long as I don't rush it and follow Bretts instructions it all seems to go together pretty well. I'm really enjoying it.

Tom, you just stated the golden rule of Sierra West craftsmanship!! Let us never forget.
    amen
  • Thanks for the kind words guys. Finally got the doors on the first wall!
    A touch of rust streaks by the hangers and maybe some light weathering once it's all assembled and this side is done.IMG_0642
  • This should be a better pic

SON05090
  • Looking great Tom. Rick
  • I'm sure you are glad to get the first wall finished. It's a long wall and Iooking good. Phil
  • Thank you both
    I’m happy so far.
    When I started my skill set for model building was zero so I really can’t complain as long as the thing is square and standing.
    Lol
  • Looks great
  • The wall looks looks very good. Like you are doing, if you follow Brett's instructions, you will become a very good modeler.
  • Steve, I echo your comments with one addition. Follow Brett's instructions and the official build and you can't go wrong. Phil
  • The “official build” on the Loco shed is amazing but so is every other build I’ve seen of it. I’ve now got to hand lay track to do it justice though.
  • Hey Tom, I had to do the same thing after I built my loco service shop, hand lay track.

• Finally got the side shop doors done today and now onto the main shed doors.
    I’ll get some more pictures up shortly.
  • Btw Stephen you’re track in the loco shed is the kind of look I really like. Any tips you can share?
  • Are you talking about inside the facility or outside Tom?
  • I’m open for both. I’m planning on having this operational on the layout so I’ll have it standard guage but looking at the shot in the gallery looking into the shed, the ties and the rails look really good so I was curious how you achieved it.
  • the ties do not go thru the building. I do not know if you seen this sight
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/382/208-locomotive-and-service-shop#latest.

It has more pictures. the rail in the building, I followed Brett's instructions and the rail is embedded in the floor. The outside rail is micro engineering flex track. If I had to do it all over, I would have hand laid the track outside. I think that after the tied were painted, the track laid, I ballasted with sifted dirt and added some sand for texture, then I unevenly painted the middle of the ties with a black paint.
  • edited May 2020
    Thanks. It looks terrific.
  • Nicely done Tom. Good idea to work up a single window to get the "feel" for them as they contribute (or take away) greatly to the Loco and Service Shops as they are such a focal point of the structure. Time well spent here on their detail and fit.
  • So I've done three doors but I realized the hinges are backwards on this one which means I have to do the other one backwards as well.
    Do I proceed or just redo?IMG_0716
  • Can't tell what you mean by backwards? From the picture it looks fine...
  • The hinges should be on the right side with the boards "pointing" towards each other it they were closed. I didn't think it was too noticeable but just wanted to confirm.
    Thanks Ken.
  • Should have a basic building by the end of the weekend!
  • I've made the same mistake with which way the bracing should go vs the hinge. Only a few people know a single diagonal or the lower diagonal on a double should point to the bottom hinge. Now that it has been brought up, I guess we all know now. ha

Rick
  • Aren't the hinges on the first picture (see top of this page) correct? that's the picture where you mentioned they were wrong?