visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• The second picture is the correct way the diagonal should run.

brace

The lower diagonal should point to the lower hinge.

Rick
  • Yep
    So here's todays progress.
    starting to look like something
    Tomorrow I'll try for some better pics.IMG_0720
    IMG_0721
    IMG_0722
  • I see what you're referring to. The manual for The Loco and Service Shops shows a picture of the diagonals going the other way like your top photo which is what I looked at initially. The templates though have them going the way your talking about with the diagonals converging towards the opposite side of the hinges. Should have just referred to my model! Looking really nice Tom. Fit and finish are spot on. Sliding side doors look awesome, nicely done.
  • Thanks Ken. I sat there looking right at the template and put them backwards, LOL
    Really happy with the way this is shaping up though. That’s one of those things that no one will no but me (and everyone on this forum!)
  • I think a few dabs of rust and a touch of dirt and the exterior is about done!
  • The diagonal bracing can go either way, it is essentially only there to stop the door going out of square. In the real world it makes no difference, many pictures can be seen of it either way.
    However, if you're like me and have seen something one way (ie, the manual) and it niggles at you now because yours is different then change it now while it is easy enough to do.
    YOUR eye, and YOUR perception of what you see on YOUR model is the most important thing for YOUR happiness.
    Real world, it can go either way.
    Looking fantastic BTW.
  • Looks great.
  • Can't wait to start mine!
  • Thanks guys.
    I’ve really enjoyed the build. Seeing the doors up, the flip of the diagonal doesn’t trouble me a bit!
  • Got a little work done!
    Added the office wall and finished the sand house
  • That is cute. The wood looks very natural. Overall very convincing.

Rick
  • Thanks!
    Plenty wrong with it but I’m definitely happy with the result!
  • The story for this is the poor guy who build it was not a journeyman yet. The boss made him do it without help.

Personally I like it. Perfect is not always the most pleasing.

Rick
  • Just to clarify I mean all the little flaws from my skill level. The building kit itself is an awesome little addition and packed with character!
  • Rick I love that backstory.
    It sells it.
  • With the walls up it really is looking like something. Nice work thus far on this great kit. Love all the support structures.
  • Looks nice .
  • Thank you guys. I’m addicted. Just got the Backwoods Work Train and soon the Twin Mills. I have a feeling there will be many more in my future.
  • Excellent Tom, weathering looks so good.
  • edited May 2020
    Tom,

That's what we like to hear. Get all the kits while you can and learn some new techniques with each build. We have plenty of very accomplished tutors on this forum who are always willing to share their their techniques and materials. Build on! Keep the photos coming.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Uh...Oh...Tom's caught the other virus...the "I can't help myself but I need to secure every SWSM kit I can find" virus...No worries Tom I caught it long ago. I have every HO/HOn3 kit Brett has released...Life goal...build every one!
  • Hah
    Well at least I’m in excellent company!
  • A little progress the last few days.
    And of course more SWSM kits on the way!
  • A ways to go yet but I think it's off to a nice start. I feel like I went I started a little dark and too much red when I painted the casting (I didn't get the Khaki rustoleom).
    Didn't realize how cool and intricate the base was until I built it.
  • Looking really good. Tank bases are a pain, but worth it....Rick