visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• Everything looks beautiful Tom. Don't worry about not living long enough as the man who dies with the most toys wins!
  • The water tower and other structures look great. Phil
  • Tom,
    I'm at 10 months on my wood cutter shack... and that's basically a simple 2 structure kit....

Your progress so far looks great.
  • edited June 2020
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

Alex, I’m hoping I can knock this out in less than 10 months but overall I’m happy with the progress. It is slow going though. I really am trying to go carefully and do most things in one step rather than redoing stuff but that happens too!
  • Wonderful progress Tom. Looks so good!
  • Thank you Brett. Working on the plumbing for the oil tank right now.
    Should have that put together this week. Then it’s the details and the roof and the assembly phase is done. I’m guessing less than a month to go and then it will be the first scene on the layout.
  • edited June 2020
    Gonna require a couple of little touch ups.
    The bents on the right hand side (facing it) came off when I was handling it to do the plumbing.
    Got it pretty close to how it was when I started but a couple of glue spots and the tank doesn't sit "perfect".
    1 foot rule!
    Plumbing isn't done because I ran out of epoxy and have more on the way.
    Happy Father's Day everyone.
  • Tom, for those spots i've been putting a bit of dirt ect to "add weathering" ;~)

I like the way it looks, especially your wood coloring. Used; but not tooo used.
  • Tom, part of being a good modeler not being perfect, rather it's knowing how to correct or hide those minor mistakes or imperfections. None of us do a perfect build. We just know how to make those little errors less noticeable.

Rick
  • Exactly Alex.
    I’ll cover up the flaws with some grunge.
    Rick, that is exactly what separates the novice from the expert. How you deal with the curve or how to avoid it before it happens. I love building something when an “oh hell” moment turns into an “ah hah” moment and you end up learning something unexpected.
  • Excellent. Especially the base.
  • Couldn’t agree more Ed. Try to limit them but learn as much as possible from them. Only took 53 years to figure that part out!
    Thanks Bryan.
    I plan to add a little more weathering to the tank and of course the plumbing once fitted but I’m dead in the water until my epoxy comes tomorrow. Tried ACC on the tank to the brackets but it doesn’t hold.
  • i can only echo what everyone else has already said. great job so far....
  • Thank you sir.
  • Love it!
  • Tom, great work so far. Love these exterior builds they add so much to the diorama.
  • edited June 2020
    Thanks Brett. Really just comes down to following the directions as best I can.
    Joel, I agree. The two tanks would be kits by themselves for most manufacturers which is part of what makes these kits so great! I’ll finish the oil tank this week and then onward to the castings!
  • Here we are, finally. Installing the stays today and then onto the details. Taking a little break this week to do some track work and scenery on the layout and then will come back around to it next weekend.image0
    image1
    image2
    image3
    image4
  • Looking good. These tanks are harder than they look, but you pulled it off. Phil
  • Looks fantastic....Rick
  • Superb workmanship on everything so well done.
  • Thank you very much guys.
    The tank was the most challenging so far I’d say. As Phil points out they look deceptively simple but there’s a lot going on there.
  • Tank looks great Tom. Love that tank casting Brett came up with and you did a great job on it.
  • Thank you Ken
  • Agree with that.
  • Thank you Robert. Finally got moving on some of the details. Will have more to post soon!
  • Ok, lots of work and a move and now set up in the new house.
    Building resumes!IMG_1416
  • Wow, I dont know how you guys do it. Looks so cool. I cant even see that small. Great job.
  • incredible as always. Rick