visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Loco and Service Shops

Ok
I’ve looked at it for a week now and I think I’ve got everything I need to get going.
Watching the builds (especially Ken’s) just blows me away as to what is possible. I’m hoping to just not make a mess of this! The skill level that I see from the guys here is really extraordinary.
Took my first steps this morning and if this is going right I’ll move on to adding a few knots, brushing and staining planks!
Constructive criticism, suggestions, etc are welcome so please feel free to offer anything you think will help.

Comments

• Photos I think
  • No photos, but don't be afraid. You can practice on some scrap wood if you are not sure, but it is easier than it sounds.
  • I brushed the first wall with chalks and just wanted to see if I'm getting the right effect but for some reason my photos wont come up. I even tried reducing the size to 50 KB. I'm working on a Mac. Anyone have a suggestion?
  • There is a blog called " Loading a Photograph" near the top of the list of discussions. Use that as your guide.
    Rick
  • Sorry "How to Upload a Photograph".
  • I followed it and it certainly seems straightforward but just doesn’t seem to be working right for me.
  • What extension are your files? JPG works best. Rick
  • They’re jpeg
    Very strange
  • needs to be .jpg - just rename the file
  • ok, now I'm getting there!
    Thanks Brett!
  • looks good from here..... keep on keepin' on.
  • Tom, I've been having trouble posting pics with Mac recently as well. As soon as I updated OS to 10.15 I had to post pics as png instead of jpg. It also doesn't like to post pics after I have edited them.
  • edited April 2020
    Once I changed the extension to jpg instead of jpeg and reduced the size I was right in but I did reduce the size to about 50 kilobytes. I’m finishing coloring the walls today (hopefully) so I’ll try to post that pic and see how it goes.
    Number 1 lesson so far
    It is MUCH easier to go too little and add than to go too much and remove!
  • hear hear!
  • IMG_0537

I think it turned out ok.
    Now on to some siding!
  • Brian,
    Had to use Chrome (could not post a picture with Safari) and went down in size to 50ish kb and no editing.
  • Nice start Tom. You can't mess up too badly with a SW kit. The instructions are so well detailed that it's hard to mess up, and if you have a problem there's always this helpful forum to ask questions.
  • The walls on this fantastic kit are so important. Anxious to see what you do with them.
  • Sorry for the dark photo. I’m going to shot under better light later. So far pretty happy with the results. As I’ve mentioned this is my first build of any wood kit. I like the board on board process because it forces me to slow down and really pay attention to each step. Really looking forward to seeing it on the layout!
  • You're off to a good start. I like the color effects on the siding.
  • so far so good. i sure wish this was available in o scale.
  • Tom, from what I can see the boards look really good. Nice variation in the paint peel and weathering. This is time well spent and sets the basis for the entire build. Well done...Ken
  • Thanks very much guys. Busy working from home but I hope to have the walls started by the weekend. Will update then.
  • Tom, the technique that Brett explains in the manual for the peeling paint for this kit turns out just awesome results. It is tedious and time consuming, but like I say, the results are just fantastic. I have built this kit and used his method and I have had more compliments on it. As I was doing this method, it didn't look right to me, but as I started the board on board construction of the siding, it came to life for me.

Like Ken says, this is the time well spent which will set the basis for the entire build.
  • It is a slow process but it seems worth it. Certainly I don’t expect to achieve the results that you and Ken got to (both extraordinary examples of this kit) but I feel like if I take my time I can achieve a very respectable result. Looking at the photos in the gallery one thing I notice is you really achieved a lifting of the paint around the edges which I like but couldn’t quite get there. Mine seems to have a more aged look I think which I also like.
  • That was one of my second Sierra West Kit, so it is all in the timing with the mineral spirits etc.
  • doesn't have the lifted edges that you achieved, but I'll take it!