visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#208 Locomotive and Service Shop

I have uploaded additional pictures of my Locomotive and Service Shop that appears in my thread under General News and Ramblings.

Comments

• Steve,

Thank you for posting all the photos of your diorama for us to drool over. You have made a fantastic job of the Loco and Service Shops kit and I like the overall clutter, your many mini-scenes and use of LP (LP's?) with evidence of some work getting done and your convincing results on the deteriorated paint. This will be great reference for those of us who still plan to build this kit or use some of these techniques.

By the way, as you are probably aware your post was duplicated for some reason.
  • Ojaste June 14 Permalink QuoteEditDelete

This a sweet diorama, I like the use of "forced perspective" for the pictures. It really highlights tge structure and it's superb paint treatment.

Marty
  • Sorry Marty, that was the only way I could delete the duplicate thread and keep your comment...
  • Beautiful diorama, so many things to compliment. the peeled white walls turned out great and the whole service facility looks superb.
    I'm going to need to go back a few times to scrutinize and admire all those details.

Thanks for adding the extra pictures for us all to admire, a real treat for us all to see.

Karl.A

• Terrific work Steve. Thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks for the comments. Karl, thanks for fixing my screw up. I have followed the different projects on this site to help me with my projects. Hope I can be of help to someone else.

Steve
  • Steve, now that's what I'm talkin about! Great job and can't believe you could resist posting your progress here as nice a job as you did. Many, many things to comment on....I like how you varied the weathering on the oil tank scene. Not all rusty and not all black and grimy. Your plumbing a bit rusty and weathered and the tank a bit more on the oily, grimy side. I'm loving how you did your paint peel both for how it looks and how fun it will be to contrast how little paint I plan to leave on mine. Your dio fits the backdrop perfectly and feels hot and dry. You have not overpowered your dio with LPs, just enough to be interesting and lively. Corrugated weathering is very nice...what's your next project here Steve?
  • A real treat, wonderful work!
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks for the comments Ken and Brett. I really appreciate your comments Ken and Karl, because I consider you guys the masters. By following the progress you guys make on your projects on this forum, has reinforced what Brett has explained in his construction manuals. Both of you offer your wonderful additional tips on detailing and weathering which I appreciate very much.

At the moment, I am scratch building my own version of the Sturgeon Saw Mill. I am using some of Brett's castings for the machinery. I felt that building a couple of his kits has given me the confidence to do a large scratch built structure. It has been a real challenge though.

Steve
  • Hey Steve..thanks much for the comments but I'm hardly a master and will pass that distinction to Brett and Karl. I love modeling SWSM products and hope it shows in my work and if any if that rubs off positively on anyone, that's great and mission accomplished. I do however, know what I like and don't throw positive comments out there unless deserved, and you deserve it. Do you have the new Saw Mill Kit, that things amazing? Can't imagine tackling a scratch build on that level..whew! Keep us posted and nice to see you getting involved here. Ken
  • edited June 2014
    Steve, absolutely marvelous. Thank you for the many pictures and multiple views.
    Jim
  • Yes Steve, as already stated, if you have the patience, progress pictures are a great asset to us new folks. Your work is breath taking.

One of the really nice things about this forum is it is of a size that makes it easy to move around for instructional purposes.

Respectfully,
    John
  • John,

This was my second build of a Sierra West project. So I considered myself a new folk. I followed Brett's well documented instructions and the posts on this forum. I will try next time I do one of Brett's projects to post my progress.

Steve
  • Steve, please update us on what you are doing. I love your work . . . .

Respectfully,
    John