visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• randyp said:

Ken as usual a great build. Looking forward to seeing you do the shake shingles. What are you going to use for the shakes? I was in Florida two weeks ago. I went to a cigar store with my brother in law. I got a good supply of the thin cider used in cigar boxes. I think I may try that when I get to the shake shingles on my rigging shed. My only concern is the color. Changing the redish cider color to the weathered gray of an old roof. Always good to see one of your builds. Randy

randy,
    i did the same thing, but found it very difficult to get the color right on the cigar box cedar. i never did get the color i was hoping for, so i scrapped the idea.

• ken, shelbys looks fantastic and i can't wait to see all there buidings together.
  • I hear ya Kevin! My issue was more just getting the look, and that hard to describe "feel" that I wanted for the structure. The whole time I was putting on the shingles I wasn't happy with how it was progressing. As soon as I put on the first metal roof panel it was like "there it is!"...
  • that was supposed to say all three buildings together..
  • Thanks Kevin and yup, got what you meant and finishing up the Bait & Tackle shop today; roofs on, staircase and landing done and have the roof caps and some stacks to go and call it done until its on the diorama.
  • always an exciting time in the build.
  • For sure!
  • Ken, never enough adjectives to say how much I love seeing your work. Great stuff here.
  • Hey Emery, well so much appreciate that my friend! You know, can't thank you enough for all your work on the 3D detail parts. I'm so excited to be able to add these gems to my Shelby's diorama. Now get back to your 1:1 Kitchen Diorama!...heard its looking goood....
  • Putting final details on the Bait & Tackle Shop of the Shelby's build. A real nice resin chimney casting was included in the kit. It was originally designed as a brick chimney with a cement cap and an angled hood with a round stack coming out of the top (see figure 1. taken from Brett's construction manual)

IMG_3818

(Figure 1.)

I wanted to move this chimney from the lower level addition up to the roof of the two story structure. I felt the amount of vertical dimension of the chimney with the metal stack moved to the already taller two story portion, would make things appear too vertical. I did want some character and to put my personal touch on the piece, so I cut the angle hood off the chimney, drilled four holes in the top and inserted four styrene rods and then glued the hood back on. Gives it a unique look and cuts down on the overall height making it perfect for the roof in question (see figure 2. below)

IMG_3809

Simple little modified detail that makes building SWSM kits so enjoyable!
  • Ken is no doubt the HO master !!! He must have Eagle eye sight !! :)
  • All of the detail parts are shaking in their boots! Oh no, it’s Karns again! Run! Run!
  • Nice change to the chimney. You really come up with some nice subtle ideas to make each kit your own.
  • Thanks Robert and so far so good with keeping an eye on the 1:87 stuff!

Right Al, detail the details with a bigger hammer!...or saw in this case.

Appreciate that Tom. Worked out well to get the height down a bit for the move.
  • Quick update on the Shelby's build. The Bait & Tackle Shop is essentially done save for some minor details and further weathering once the structure is planted in the diorama.
    On to the main structure interior...

IMG_3838

IMG_3851

IMG_3845

IMG_3868
  • Superb! Really love the metal roofing and screen door.
  • Thanks Brett, appreciate that. The finished diorama the screen door will be a bit further closed than is shown and will not be sitting square against the stairs. Will also be weathering the roof with some rust stains, debris along the back edge, etc...Beautiful design by the way, so much character packed into such a small structure.
  • Ken I like everything about the building. A nice touch to have the hole in the roof. How about a scale spring for the screen door. That way it would close and not block the stairs. Keep up the beautiful build. I am looking forward to seeing when you get it all put together. Randy

a nice touch
  • Thanks Randy, and there is a spring! I'll have a cinder block or something nautical holding the door open once the structure is planted. Nice that you noticed the need for that detail!
  • Looks great! Looking forward to seeing this door spring and how the spring wire is wound round and round and the circular attach point on each end and the hooks into the door and frame, etc. You can do that, right? (LOL but still anxious to see what’s up your sleeve!)
  • Beautiful work!!!

Jerry
  • Ken, all is said before, just beautiful and great eye for detail !!!
  • Thanks Al. The spring is shown better on page #7 of this thread, although not quite that detailed!

Appreciate that Jerry and nice hearing from you.

Hey Robert, thanks so much.
  • Always impressed with your attention to details...Great Work...
  • Thanks Art, nice hearing from you.
  • Currently I've been just watching from the sidelines as I even though retired....have little free time to get into the shop to do any modeling...but I'm trying....
  • It looks fantastic.
  • Hey really appreciate that Bryan!
  • wow.....
  • Hey Kevin, thanks my friend!