visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Door stops, screen doors, exposed framing, crackle paint,…I could go on. It just never stops with you, does it? LOL!!! Your posts of your work-in-progress are very appreciated!
  • Ken your door with the lovers is top notch especially in HO. Great work.
  • Thanks Al. The reason for so many pictures of individual walls...its going to be awhile before these walls are together and seen again.

Appreciate that Randy.
  • The more pix, the merrier! So much to see and learn from.
  • Glad to hear there is some support out there for the many pictures I have been posting of just walls! Appreciate that.
  • I agree. I learn so much from poring over each picture. Keep em coming!
  • i second or third what everyone says, please keep the pics coming. it's kinda like a master class, only cheaper.
  • Can't post too many pics of your work!
  • admin said:

Can't post too many pics of your work!

That says it all!!

Jerry

• Thanks for the feed-back Joel.

Appreciate that Kevin, I hate the thought of the response being "here we go again, more pictures of those damn walls!"lol.

Thanks Brett...you've made it so easy to do, don't want to abuse the privilege!

Thanks much Jerry.
  • It’s not just the pix. You’ve always got something to say that I want to hear!
  • That's great Al...I appreciate that..nice to know its not all dribble!lol.
  • Been a hot minute since I've checked in around these parts... and boy did I miss some updates! Excellent work, Ken. Very inspiring!
  • Thanks much Rusty! Nice hearing from you.
  • edited April 2022
    Despite the outward appearance of scarcely any activity on Shelby's, I have been getting some work done on the project.

IMG_2608

Three sides of the structure are attached directly to the sill framing. Then the floor decking was added and the wharf decking.

IMG_2607

IMG_2600

View from the front...

IMG_2597

Ample room to "get in there" for detail work. The final wall will be installed just prior to the final detailing.

IMG_2604

IMG_2613

Another look to illustrate the rounded board edges.

IMG_2606

Note the board detailing an the effect of having the different deck board widths.

More later...
  • Ken I really like the work that you do on the wood. I especially like the detail where the building floor and the deck boards come together at the door. Randy
  • W O W !
    Great stuff Ken, love this stage, seeing all that hard work on the walls, windows, and doors suddenly take life.
    Flooring looks so good, you can hear the creaks and squeaks!
  • Love the worn wooden decking. Great stuff as always.
  • Stellar work as always sir. I particularly like the floor transition.
  • it really looks excellent. i can remember the store front/turned library in the little town i grew up in and the floor looked exactly like that. creaked like hell too. i used to ride my bike the 4 mile round trip to return a hardy boys book and get another one to take home. good times, good times.....heheheheh.
  • Thanks Randy and keep in mind this is just the preliminary weathering and detail work on the floor and decking. Much more to come.

Appreciate that Brett and had a blast detailing the walls but glad to be putting things together finally!

Thanks Emery!...planning where all those stellar 3D parts are going to go...much fun with that.

Hey Kev thanks much. Right...back then we had to make our own fun and adventures now they come on a keyboard and screen!
  • Thanks Joel, nice hearing from you.
  • Great job on the flooring. I also like the way the building and deck floors meet!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry.
  • I meant to tell you I can use that on the build I'm doing now. How make the floor blend to the dock the Ken Karns way!!

Jerry
  • Lol...that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee...or not!

Once the rest of the floor is down and the final "grunge" gets applied it will blend much better. Looks a bit stark in contrast right now. Thanks for a good lift me up this evening, appreciate the note!
  • Quick update on Shelby's. Have glued the four walls of the second story section of the Bait & Tackle Shop together as shown. I decided to replace the two piece resin roof castings with rafters as I plan to add some roof details that require the sheeting to show under the shake shingles. Working on the interior of the lower level and that of the main structure. Steady as she goes...

IMG_3472
  • Fantastic.I don't know how you do it. Crazy good.
  • Hey thanks Jim! Small update but needed to blow the dust off my thread here...
  • As fine as it gets!! Beautiful coloring and weathering!

Jerry