visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Screen door and roll up door are fantastic
  • Hi Jim, thanks so much for the note here.

Ahh...don't know about that Kev, maybe if someone comes up with an SierraWest Scale Model Museum I'll fill out an application for a donation!

Lol...it does look like that spring has some tension going on...I think it will look cool with a couple of SWSM 3D printed crates propping it open!
  • Hey thanks Bryan. I've had a blast detailing the windows and doors on this structure...I have some interesting and fun ideas for the open garage door interior details...more later on that...potentially a good spot to "hide" my one LP.
  • i wonder how many of our dads hand built a screen door out of 2x2s and 1x2s, some window screen material, two hinges, two handles and spring. every garage had a side door that needed a screen door, and everyone of my friend's dads (and mine) built one and hung it.
    ken's reminds me of them.
  • Nicely done....
  • Thanks Art.
  • edited March 2022
    Moving onto the next wall. The first wall featured here is the one that gave me the most trouble with respect to the dry transfer issue. This wall called for a large "Bill-of-Goods" sign with multiple descriptives including the SHELBY'S name. Any problems encountered here would be a glaring issue and simply not worth the risk due to the unreliable white letter transfers that are almost 25 years old. As a result, I made a sign to take it's place and included a light bar for added interest and an attempt to continue to feature this wall sign as the signature sign for the structure.

IMG_2456

For those not totally familiar with Shelby's, this photo taken from the Shelby's manual and depicting the wall with the large single transfer decal.

IMG_2450

Here is what I came up with as an alternative. Simple and to the point. I tried to reproduce a sign similar to the transfer one that had the listings on the sides and it just didn't look good. Note the scribed peak is where the roof of the lower level will be. The odd red colors were experiments early on knowing it would not show! I'm not done with detailing the actual sign yet. May add some mounting bolt heads and some additional streaking/weathering.

IMG_2391

Detailed shot of the light fixture I made complete with wiring.
  • edited March 2022
    Here are the walls on the backside of Shelby's.

IMG_2381

IMG_2374

And to wrap things up with the final wall. I wanted to experiment with a different type of sign here. The long vertical bare siding to the right of the second story window was a perfect spot for...whatever you call this type of sign. Hinges on the doors are a little too bold, however, looks OK without magnification.

IMG_2411

As I was messing around with the screen door, I decided to try modeling a screen for a window. Really liked the look and wish I hadn't already done all the other windows as I would have done up more like this.

IMG_2416

IMG_2438 (1)
  • You definitely came up with a suitable and interesting substitute for the dry transfers.

Are the wires for show or will the lights work?
  • Wow! Your detailing has gone crazy a spring for the door what a great detail!

The sign a perfect fit for the building. I guess the original blew off and you had to make a new one for the business incredible work.

Jerry
  • edited March 2022
    Necessity is the mother of invention. Wonderful idea! And your use of screens is eye-catching.
  • Those are some mighty fine walls! The added details really set them apart and make this a truly custom build. Your creativity is admirable.
  • Beautiful work Ken. The color, weathering, and details are fantastic. I to would like to know if the lights are going to work. By the way, what did you use for the screen material?
  • The walls look good Ken like your artistic grunge. Sorry that the dry transfer didn't work out for you.
  • I think it'll work to a fashion Bryan.No, all exterior lights are just for effect.

Hey Thanks Jerry. I'd been thinking about the spring closure on the screen door way back when I built BlueSky. I did a screen door there as well. The screen was out of scale on that door, so that I have improved on.

Thanks Al, I really like the look on the window.

Appreciate that Tom, got forced in that direction with the transfer issue.Lol.

Thanks Randy. The lights on the exterior are just for effect. I'll have the main Shelby's structure and this Bait and Tackle shop lit on the first floor interiors. The screen came from a company that is now out of business. If you like I can PM you the name if interested.

Well Stephen I thank you for that and the transfer issue was disappointing.
  • Now that the Bait and Tackle Shop walls are done, I went back and scrutinized the main Shelby's structure once more before moving on to the next step in the project. As a result, I decided to add a bit of nautical feel to the upper story front wall with a round gable peak (ship portal style) window. Updates from here on out are going to be spotty so trying to trickle these updates out a bit!

IMG_2460
  • Just amazing work. As always. So much to learn from, so much to drool over. I think I'm getting dehydrated.
  • Ha...Lol..too kind buddy! Nice hearing from you, trust all is well. Look forward to when we can get together again.
  • Great addition!
  • Thanks Tom, I think it works for the nautical flare. Just wanted a close up to highlight the crackle paint.
  • It adds a lot of interest
  • Mission accomplished then! Thanks Bryan...
  • edited March 2022
    Shown below is the front wall of the Tool Shop addition of the main Shelby's structure. I scratch built the single access door and the double freight doors.

IMG_2470

Will be adding some simulated hinge pins to all the doors and dull down the metal kick plate mounting screw holes a bit (only obvious in the picture). A variety of door design is an enjoyable modeling project and adds interest to the overall structure.

The back wall of the Tool Shop addition is not visible once the Tool Shop is attached. There is however, an access door from the Tool Shop to the main Shelby's service area. I decided to build a door with both sides detailed despite only one side being visible in the end.

IMG_2493

This door and interior wall will be barely, if at all, visible.

IMG_2492

The same door with access into the main Shelby's service area. There will be a platform with stairs to this door. Note the posts spaced along the walls. These are actually the bracing for the walls. I detailed them to appear as support posts for the second story floor. The part of the wall that's black will not show as the second story floor will cover this.

The next project in line are the Wharfs for both structures...more later...Ken
  • Your doors are really exceptional! I especially like the door stop lever on the double freight door. It's something that is rarely seen but adds so much to the doors.
  • Love it that you noticed that Tom! Made my day...
  • edited March 2022
    holy crap
  • brett, can you possibly 3d print the cargo doors with the door stop? that looks really excellent but its way over my paygrade to make one.
  • Beautiful!!

Jerry
  • Hey appreciate that Kevin.

Thanks so much Jerry. A little visual interest...