visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Ken, your sign turned our GREAT! The walls are also very nice. I also had trouble with the lettering on the build I did a while back. I had so much trouble with the white I couldn't use them. I have had problems with using older dry transfers. They must have an expiration date.
  • I am always amazed with the work you do in HO scale......
  • Thanks Brett. As we discussed I'm experimenting with different methods in an attempt to improve the release of the old dry transfers. Thus far the black appears to release much more readily and with predictability which is the key! The white is just stubborn and does not want to cooperate. Will keep at it and appreciate your thoughts.

Hey Stephen, thanks and see my response to Brett.

Thanks Bryan, the Bait & Tackle shop was originally designed with ample signage and proved part of its allure and popularity. I'm likely going to have to improvise on some of it due to the aged dry transfers which is to be expected on a kit almost 25 years old!

Thanks much Tom, we'll see how the rest of the signage goes. Interesting as Brett mentioned, how the black seems to hold up better than the white lettering.

Appreciate that Art. I actually have a screen door to install on front of the wood door in the last picture. Was going to have it closed but it covered up that nice looking wood door so I'm going to have it propped open.
  • that wasn't the case for me
  • a few scale holes in the screen would look kool......and I am sure you have the talent and capabilities to make up scale green flies......
  • beautiful work on that wall....
  • I think there are many factors that go into the sustainability of the dry transfers.

Right Art...lol, I have a few little details to add to the screen door. Should have that and more signage done this weekend...

Hey Kevin, appreciate that.
  • Transfer look's great! To bad about the white hope you can get it worked out. If anyone can I'm sure it will be you!

I love the way you scratch built the door in HO no less.

Amazing work.

Jerry
  • Hey Jerry, I appreciate the support and thanks so much. Nifty that you noticed the scratch built door. In fact, all the doors on this build are/will be scratch built. Just finished the screen door and will post some updates soon.
  • Screen door! I suppose to keep the flies out!!

Jerry
  • Hey its a Bait shop so lots of smelly stuff in there! Actually the screen door is to add visual interest and to try out some new techniques...like making the long spring that many old screen doors had. Got that worked out and the door is hung. Almost done with all the walls for the Bait Shop. Posting soon.
  • edited March 2022
    As mentioned above, the walls are essentially done for the Bait & Tackle Shop. Final details will occur once the structure is put together and planted on the diorama. Also as mentioned, the dry transfers for much of the signage did not allow for consistent application during the trials on scrap siding. This renders them unusable for this project in total. I was able to coax a few to transfer adequately and will point those out as I post the walls.

Disclaimer: If you're not into suffering through a detailed review of multiple walls that appear somewhat similar, and don't relish my opinions and modeling philosophy then fast forward as this segment will be a bit adnauseam for you!

I thought it appropriate to take pause on this project to give some brief thoughts of mine as I navigate this build. I approach every SWSM build with a similar goals and expectations, and that is to challenge myself, and to be a student of the project. I set out to always try new techniques and explore the boundaries and modeling opportunities the kit provides. Once experience is gained, the modeler has a definite feel for how the project will evolve and utilizing their own modeling style, the project begins to take shape.

Shelby's first took shape conceptually through a myriad of sources including the kit contents, prior builds that were studied, discussions with fellow modelers, pictures, web searches, publications, and of course the comprehensive manual included with every SWSM kit. I was, and continue to be, so excited to be working on this project. So many new techniques and modeling opportunities, not the least of which is this, my first waterfront diorama! My main concern was to think outside the box and to be cognizant of the goal to impart a maritime "feel" to the final result...that, I'm still striving for!

What follows is an in depth look at the construction and initial detailing of Shelby's Bait & Tackle Shop.
  • edited March 2022
    The Bait & Tackle Shop, although a small structure compared to the main Shelby's Marine Service building, makes up for in charm and unique detailing opportunities. The inability to utilize many of the dry transfer decals was a disappointment...but also an opportunity. I detailed each wall from start to finish, in succession, with thoughts of how each wall would interact with the next and so on. Lets face it, walls are much easier to work on and detail flat on the bench and manipulated by hand. I decided to detail the walls as much as possible prior to assembling the structure. One draw back, if one fails to plan ahead, is that the flow from one wall to the next will not be consistent and smooth. In addition, thoughts concerning details placed around and next to the structure can have a significant impact on the wall detail plan. This concept will be illustrated on the first wall shown here:

IMG_2366

We'll call this the two story front wall. The door exits onto a porch and stairs later on in the build. All the doors were scratch built despite nicely detailed resin castings included in the kit. Two styles of lamp mounting were utilized on the Bait Shop; metal bracket style as shown here and the traditional "goose neck". Why? to add variety, visual interest, and to show some planning which separates the two general types of doors. There are two people access doors and two garage/freight style doors. I put the goose necks above the garage style doors and the bracket style at the two people access doors as shown here. In addition, a porcelain/metal sign was added and the position was not a haphazard application. As seen in the next photo, I positioned the sign in such a way as to be visible below the future stairway and just above and to the left of the future soda pop cooler casting that would be placed along the wall. An example of forward planning.

IMG_2369

Note: The soda pop cooler is one of Brett's wonderfully detailed 3D printed detail parts.

I spoke of lateral planning from one wall to another to keep the flow and consistency. Note the rot/damage to the lower right of the wall (shown below). This damage is carried over to the adjacent wall side trim as illustrated. These walls were detailed separately and have not been joined as yet. More walls to come...

• I'll dig out my Shelby's kit and find the transfer sheet, if it's still in the box. I'll do a test on one of the insignificant parts of the sheet, I remember they were OK last time I used one and I never had any problems with the transfer, I think it was a coke transfer.
    I can mail you the sheet if you want it.
  • I know...Stephen says he didn’t have any real issues either...I think it is a real hit or miss kind of thing. I appreciate the thought but I finished all the walls with what I could get to work and filled in with other signage. My walls on the main structure are too rough for anything to stick there! Lol
  • You're welcome.
  • The planning is sure paying off.

The thumb looks out of scale though.
  • Thanks Bryan...ha! Got to keep you O Scalers aware of how small this HO stuff is.
  • Outstanding work on the milled clapboard walls. So much detail and life. Love the light next to the door. Such a common detail that is rarely modeled.
    KKarns said:

Thanks Bryan...ha! Got to keep you O Scalers aware of how small this HO stuff is.

Good point!

• Excellent work Ken! The colors and textures on everything really look amazing! I recently pulled out the Foss Landing dry transfers for the coke machine and I got one of the transfers to work well but the other one came apart. I think the trick is to burnish it like crazy. The one that worked out I rubbed for a lot longer than I thought I needed to.
  • edited March 2022

KKarns said:
    Thanks Bryan...ha! Got to keep you O Scalers aware of how small this HO stuff is.

why do suppose we're modeling in o scale??

• Ken that is some of the best coloring and weathering I've seen!

Jerry
  • Very nice work on the walls! Colors, textures, and details are excellent! And I appreciate your adnauseam explanation. I hopefully can learn something from it.
  • Thanks Brett. I love working with clapboard as a nice change of pace to the board-on-board of Shelby's main structure...they compliment each other by design!

Appreciate that Steve. Your assessment of the dry transfers is spot on to what I'm finding. The key in my mind is the reliability of the old transfers, which is just not there. You have to be able to count on the success when placing the transfer onto a finished wall that you just spent hours working on!

Certainly is an issue as we get older Kevin!

Well that's an awfully nice thing to say Jerry, appreciate that.

Hey Tom, nice to know I didn't offend at least one of the gang! Thanks so much for your comments.
  • edited March 2022
    The next wall is the lower level front wall that butts up to the wall previously illustrated. Here I feature one of my limited successful sessions of working with the dry transfers. As mentioned, the black lettering seemed to release better than the white. However, even the black was not reliable on the scribed siding. I tried the black lettering on a piece of smooth wood and it did OK but still some small pieces here and there, despite burnishing, did not want to release. So, I experimented with painting the smooth wood white and when the paint was dry to the touch I firmly burnished the black lettering and it stuck really well. Problem is, my walls are not freshly painted and certainly not going to re-do them. So, I decided to make a sign base out of the smooth wood and paint it white and the results worked quite well.

I also wanted to model a screen door to add visual interest and try out a couple of small details. I was going to have the screen door closed with the solid door showing through the closed screen door. This didn't float my boat when I staged it so I decided to have it propped open with a couple of crates (placed later), this allows both doors to be seen and adds again, visual interest. I fashioned a spring, which is often seen as a closure mechanism for old screen doors...before the piston thingy, out of thin black wire. It's a tad out of scale but looks fine without magnification. A lamp with the iron bracket rounded out the additional details (see below).

IMG_2406

Basically finished first floor front wall. I plan to have some things hanging from hooks along this wall that have a maritime flare, ands still working that out.

Moving onto the first floor end wall. This wall faces the water and large portion of the dock of the Bait & Tackle Shop. I plan to have this end open with a garage style roll-up door and the interior detailed and lit. Call out here to Brett for turning us all on to this beautiful style of door with the Pattern Shop of The Foundry Kit. Don't know what I'm referring to?...get The Foundry Kit! lol. Since building that kit, and that door, I fell in love with the look and have modeled a similar door a couple of times since. Such a cool detail. A goose neck lamp rounds out the details for this wall.

IMG_2428
  • These are all really beautiful. You do great work, I'm impressed.
  • Jim M said:

These are all really beautiful. You do great work, I'm impressed.

thats an understatement. this is museum worthy. deserves to be on display for all to marvel at.

• That screen door...
  • admin said:

That screen door...

You can almost hear it slam shut.