visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Thanks much Jerry. The red tone turned out ok in the end I think. Red seems to grunge up nicely!
  • Wonderful modeling as always, Ken.
  • Appreciate that Rusty.
  • I would have liked to see what you would do with the original resin roof for the building. I understand you have your own interpretation to follow through on.
  • I get that for sure Mitch. I don’t like to change around anything on SierraWest kit just for the sake of making a change as the kit design and materials are superb. I do change things now and again to fit my vision of the project and to allow for certain details that I wish to convey. The roof here is a good example. I want to show a well worn roof with the sub-roof and framing visible here and there, and a resin roof casting would not allow for this, despite the casting being of excellent quality. I’m also not sure it will be a shake roof at this point but leaning in that direction. Also, I wanted the look of classic rafter tails to be visible for added interest and detailing. Thanks for your thoughts here and for making a very good point.
  • Taking it to the next level, dude.
  • Outstanding! Love the "Boat Repair" sign.
  • Impressive work as always.....love the color...
  • Absolutely fantastic! Love where this little structure is going!
  • Well thanks much Al and nice hearing from you.

Hey Tom, always a good day when I hear from you! Thanks so much and really enjoyed you mentioning the sign. First go at a sign mounted this way. I also installed a light bar above the sign that would illuminate both sides (non-functioning). Not easy to discern in the picture, but I will get more detailed shots of it once the structure is done. Inspiration came from a light fixture that Chuck Doan modeled.

Thanks Art, getting the color right as I envisioned was a big concern going into it. Too red and it looks cartoonish, not enough red and it looks washed out and gets lost in the diorama.

Damn man!...Only you could come up with a small structure like this that has so much character and detailed modeling opportunities...can't stop messin around with it, and that's just the two story section. Thanks for your input and guidance as always.
  • Excellent work as always Ken!
  • Hi Steve. Not much of an update but the thread has been collecting dust so needed to stir things up a bit, both me and the thread! Thanks much for your thoughts and always nice talking with you. Look forward to an update on your current project.
  • Weatherbeaten. Can't think of a nicer compliment.
  • I agree Joel! Thanks much my friend and trust all is well up north. Brett's development of the 3D detail parts has propelled the work on these beautiful kits to a new level. So exciting to build these classic kits with the ability to introduce the new 3D details. Keep in touch.
  • Up to your usual standards.

I think the area with the rotted away boards would be a good spot for a rat's nest.
  • Ken, I agree with all the other comments about the weathered color. And those rafters are going to look great sticking out from under what ever kin of roofing material you decide to use. I really like the sign with the double lights. It is a shame that you are not going to power them. That would look so cool. Randy
  • Thanks Bryan...maybe some debris in the space would look interesting...rats nest?...ehew!..hehe.

Thanks so much Randy. The detailing of the roof is going to be enjoyable and nothing like exposed rafter tails to add interest. Actual working lights there would look nifty for sure. I plan to light the addition on the Bait & Tackle Shop and the first floor of the main structure, so I'm getting more into the lighting. Although, not my strong suit that's for sure.
  • Quick update on Shelby's. I attached the Bait & Tackle Shop to the wharf joists before applying the deck boards. As I mentioned previous, I wanted the appearance of the deck boards butting up to the structure rather than running underneath. This also allows the sill under the structure and the base framing to join without the decking in between.

IMG_3614

Note how the structure sits firmly on the dock framing and the deck boards are butting up to the structure.

The lower level addition on the Bait & Tackle Shop will be lit. I have detailed the interior a bit to add some visual interest.

IMG_3600 (1)

I have completed the initial weathering on the interior and floor of the main structure. Now all that remains is to detail the interior!

IMG_3603

The following images show a before and after of the board end detailing and weathering at the front entrance:

IMG_2604

Unweathered board detailing. Note the spliced in repair pieces.

IMG_3606

Rails added and weathering completed.

More later...Ken
  • Just fantastic Ken !!
    I do like the Bait Shop sitting on the dock framing and the deck boards running up to the shop. A really nice adjustment and a testament not only to your eye and modeling but the planning you put into your builds.
    Excellent as always and looking forward to your continued progress.
    --Paul
  • the whole thing looks great, but i especially like the detailed interior. very well done, but that's just what we expect from mr. karnes.
  • Thanks much Paul. Nice to hear you appreciate the "little things" that when combined, make a big difference in the end result. Not sure anyone has built the main structure and attached it to the wharf missing one whole wall before!

Nice hearing from you Kevin and appreciate your kind words. Sorry the interior shot is not very well done but the depth of field was tough to get. Once the interior is lit I should be able to improve the photo.
  • Hey Ken beautiful work. Really liked the idea of the Shop sitting down and decking running up to it.

Jerry
  • edited June 2022
    Hey thanks a lot Jerry, appreciate it.
  • As always....looks realer than real...
  • Thanks "Muddy"

I took a couple pictures outside as I wanted to make a point regarding the color tone separation of the decking. In a situation like the main structure, where the floor and deck boards are all on the same plane, a different weathering and color tone is important to separate the two visually and add interest as well as provide a more prototypical appearance. The outside decking would be subject to more weather related weathering and the interior would weather more related to shop activities and general dirt and grime. It would be unrealistic to have the strip wood in both areas stained/colored with the same tone.

IMG_3625

Note the subtile difference in color tones and weathering between the interior and exterior portions of the decking.

IMG_3627

Additional image that illustrates the color tone and weathering. Note the more gray and bleached out color of the exterior decking compared to the dirty, grungy, interior.
  • Looks great Ken! Starting to really come together now.
  • Ken….kudos to you for always thinking beyond the obvious…..if I were to Google “ thinking outside the box” I bet a picture of the Ken-meister sitting at a modeling bench would show up!!! Well done Ken
    Terry
  • Hey Steve, nice hearing from you and appreciate ya!

Very nice compliment Terry, thanks much. But really...I model so slow that I have to make a big deal about little things to keep the thread above water! Ha.
  • Love the color difference between the interior and exterior. Such a small detail that is cumulative and creates a more realistic model in the end!
  • What Brett said!...Thanks for your input my good man.