visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Perfect examples of how your extensive pre-planning pays off!
  • Thanks so much Al, I do a lot of that, probably too much. Less fiddling around and more building...nah, the planning is a big part of the fun.
  • Great work as always Ken! Really like how you add the little extra details like the repairs to the floor, and the damage to the boards between the rails. Lots of inspiration here!
  • Thanks Tom, made my day that you noticed and appreciate those subtile details.
  • “Measure twice, cut once.” Best to think it out before hand. Good advice, Ken.
  • True that!
  • Looks really good.
  • Thanks Bryan.
  • Just fantastic work as always. Love the detailed interior.
  • Hey Joel, Nice hearing from you as always, and appreciate your thoughts. Trust all is well up north of the border!
  • Just became a member Ken, so I’m finally able to tell you how much I enjoy your projects and it’s great to see this come together. I really love what you’re doing to this wonderful kit!
  • Hey Jeroen, So nice to see you here now! Enjoyed our conversations off forum but this is the place to be...well done! Thanks so much for your camaraderie and support. Look forward to your posts here and any future builds you have lined up.
  • edited June 2022
    Took a short break from my other project (SWSM) and got a bit done on Shelby's Bait and Tackle Shop.

As I mentioned previously, I decided to attach the structure to the wharf framing first, then lay in the deck boards. I did this so it didn't appear the structure was sitting on the deck boards but rather the deck boards were laid up to the structure...if that makes any sense! I have really enjoyed working on and detailing the structure with it mounted to the wharf rather than attach the wharf to the diorama base then later placing the structure on top. This allows manipulation of the entire scene, kind of handy.

I finished the deck boards and extended the deck on the back side of the shop to allow foot traffic down the back side. I finished up the rafters on the sub roof (see images below) and will be installing perpendicular purlins prior to the shake shingle roof...one shingle at a time!

IMG_3784

IMG_3785

IMG_3777

Not a great image but the issue here is the detailed interior. I did a form of "forced perspective". The front counter was scratch built and placed as you see it just inside the roll up door. A SierraWest shelf casting, that was by scale slightly smaller then the front counter, was detailed and glued in place behind the front counter. Finally, I printed some store shelf pictures from and old dry good store and sized them even smaller on my desktop and glued them to the back and side walls. This gives the impression of the tackle shop having depth and filled with product...

More later, Ken
  • You are certainly taking things to a new (higher) level with the small touches you’re adding. You are squeezing so much artistry and craftsmanship value out of a box of strip wood. I am but a humble journeyman assembler in your presence. (Yes, I am a fanboy LOL). Always grateful for your posts.
  • Looking GREAT Ken! The interior visible really adds interest to the build.
  • Looking great Ken…..so many of the little things you do make a big impact on the total model. So many times I look at your posting and slap my forehead thinking “ why didn’t I think of that”
    Terry
  • Really appreciate your thoughts here Al. Next post will show my go at a scratch built shake shingle roof...

Thanks Tom, there is an LED light in there I installed before framing the roof, it should show the interior to good effect when things are all buttoned up.

Thanks much Terry. Not a big update but some work done none the less!
  • Just fantastic Ken. Love the interior.
  • Now that is an impressive structure!!

Jerry
  • Ken as usual a great build. Looking forward to seeing you do the shake shingles. What are you going to use for the shakes? I was in Florida two weeks ago. I went to a cigar store with my brother in law. I got a good supply of the thin cider used in cigar boxes. I think I may try that when I get to the shake shingles on my rigging shed. My only concern is the color. Changing the redish cider color to the weathered gray of an old roof. Always good to see one of your builds. Randy
  • Superb work. Pictures taken in daylight show really well how realistic this is. Love the colors and weathering. That floor is magnificent and those signs… eyecandy all over Ken!
  • Hey thanks Joel! There are a couple of SWSM 3D detail parts in there...

Appreciate that Jerry. I really love all three structures that make up Shelby’s...so much character, looking forward to filling up the main building with 3 D details!

Thanks Randy! I think I’m going to try making my shingles from 1x8 stripwood for the exact reasons you mention...I can get after the wood with the wire brush and detail blade and get them as weathered as I want. I can then get the exact color I want by “staining” the raw stripwood. Sanding one end of the shingle really thin may be taking things too far but may try that as well.

Nice hearing from you as always Jeroen and thanks for your thoughts and your support on the signage. I had to come up with alternatives as the old dry transfers just weren’t getting it! Lol. Think it worked out in the end but not sure CocaCola would approve of a B&W sign...Ha.
  • Always amazed at what you do in HO....looking forward to seeing the shingles...
  • Appreciate that Art. Will keep you posted...
  • Now that's a thing of beauty, so much detail to see here in such a small structure.
  • I was playing around with wood veneer strips....available at most hardware big box stores.....easily cut down with a Slicer or Chopper...and they stain well....available in different wood type too....
  • edited July 2022
    Thanks Brett.

Well Art, I have now reversed direction and decided not to roof the Bait & Tackle Shop with "shake shingles". I laid in an area on the roof and it just wasn't doin it for me. Not the look I like or wanted, so off they came. I'll be doing a metal roof and the mock up gave me a better feeling about the final product albeit less of a "maritime" feel than old shake roof might have been. However, the metal roof suits my modeling style much better. Appreciate your input and there is the hoist shed yet to go...maybe there...hmmm.
  • Looks great.

1 shingle at a time is the only way to go.
  • I did forget that you do the "wee scale" for a minute and part of the reason I went to O (On30) was the effort to work that small....a lot less room for error in the detail....I'm sure your metal roofing will look great....
  • Right Art, I'm working the little stuff but like where I am for now. The real issue wasn't the difficulty in getting the shingles to work, it was just the look wasn't what I wanted. I have the metal roof on and it is exactly what I was going for so it worked out.