visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Nice Ken! Are those "metal" straps on the ends of the shelves, or corner brackets? In any case nice detail! Can't wait to see if filled with details! Love the fencing on the top shelf.
  • Thanks so much Tom and for your interest, kind words, and noticing the additional little details. I wanted to add interest to an otherwise somewhat boring shelf unit. I added the "metal" corner brackets which I made from paper cut to size. The top level would allow a 1:87 scale LP to walk around so added the ladder, had rails, and fencing primarily for visual interest but supposedly functional as well. I like to place major pieces around the interior of my structure and then begin filling in the smaller details. The placement of the large pieces gives me a better feel for traffic flow and what smaller details I want to include.
  • I'll take that!...thanks much Art.
  • Such a cool detail. Incredible modeling
  • Well hey Jim, nice hearing from you as always. Appreciate your thoughts here my friend.
  • Looking forward to seeing this little gem located and detailed up!
  • Thanks Brett. Having so much fun working on Shelbys...such a classic.
  • what do you use for chain link fencing?
  • Those little corner braces make the entire thing more 3 dimensional. They add that little bit that makes it more than just glued together. I am definitely appropriating that idea
  • Hey Kevin, the fence was made from wedding tulle.

Really nice you noticed that Ben, that’s exactly why I did that! Adds so much more interest and gives a much more substantial look than the boards just butted together.
  • Just amazing! I love the detail that put in every little detail. Jaw dropping at times.
    Thanks
  • edited July 2022
    Really appreciate your input Joel, means a great deal my friend!
  • Every time I say to myself, "Ken has outdone himself on this one", you come up with another beauty. That shelf unit is really cool. Well done sir.
  • Hey Emery, nice hearing from you! Appreciate your thoughts here. Interior appointments are coming along and should have a more comprehensive update soon.
  • edited August 2022
    Before posting an update on Shelby's...If you haven't seen Brett's new O Scale kit featured here on the web-site...what's wrong with you?? A must see of this beautiful piece of work!

The following excerpt illustrates the concept, even in kit building, of planning ahead to achieve the overall goals of your build. Most may not be interested in this lengthy descriptive of what I'm doing, so exit now and go check out Brett's new kit!

I am moving along with the interior work on Shelby's main structure. The plan is to fully detail the interior including lights. The first and second floor walls are built separate, and a bit differently, due to the interior of the first floor being visible through the two large openings in the front and side of the structure. After the upper and lower walls are built they are joined together to form one solid wall. The call out in the instructions is for the first floor walls to be framed in scale 4x4 stripwood. I wanted a more in scale framing so I decided to frame the walls in scale 2x4s. On one hand this gives a more "in scale" appearance for the purist, but on the other hand, allows the walls to be less rigid and prone to warping. The interior of the upper level will not be visible so those walls were braced with the traditional 1/4 inch wood pieces. To solve the problem of the lower walls warping, I braced them with scale 8x8s giving the posts the appearance they are functional in supporting the upper level. These posts extended above to the upper level to a help secure the joining of both levels into one flat, straight, wall. (see figure 1.)

IMG_2492

(figure 1.) Note the finished and detailed "bracing" that appear as support posts for the upper level.

As mentioned earlier, I assembled three of the four walls to allow access to detailing the interior. This created issues with the final wall attachment after everything else is done. Once those issues were sorted out, I turned my attention to the floor of the upper level. This floor would obviously be visible through the two large openings in the lower level front and side. I will be detailing the ceiling of the lower level with shop lights, wiring, and other details. The floor material of the upper level is scribed flooring in three pieces that are put together and braced. The simulated floor boards run perpendicular to the long dimension of the floor. Problem with this is, I wanted to put joists under the floor that would tie into the posts I used as bracing for the lower walls. This adds a nice level of visual interest. As a result, my joist would be running the same direction as the second story floor boards. This of course can't happen as the floor boards always run perpendicular to the joists. Solution...I covered the underside of the floor with stripwood running the opposite direction of the scribed floor boards. (see figure 2.)

IMG_4004

(figure 2.) Note the very end of the right side of the floor. This is the original scribed floor piece. This portion is the underside of a slight overhang on the front of Shelby's and will be covered as the rest of the floor after it is installed. I had to notch out the floor everywhere there was a support post. This allows the floor to be installed as well before the final wall is put in place. (see figures 3, 4, and 5.)

IMG_4005

(figure 3.) View from above of the second floor flooring in place.

IMG_4007

(figure 4.) Second floor flooring in place and set up to allow all this to be completed with the final wall installed once all the detailing is done.

IMG_4008

(figure 5.) Note the overhang in front. The underside here will be covered in the second layer of stripwood running the short length.

Here is a shot of the second story floor (figure 6.) in place with rafters installed. This roof piece is removable, allowing for the lights and any final details to be added.

IMG_4030

IMG_3992

Here is the nearly finished shelf unit that will be in the interior of the main structure. There are 15 of Brett's 3D details in this piece alone!
  • The logistics of your ceiling are amazing. Everything looks like it fits together so nicely. Great planning! That is one expensive shelf unit, but it turned out great. I like the addition of the hand grabs at the top of the ladder.
  • Well executed. I'm a big fan of the tarp on the bottom shelf
  • Ken.
    Can you speed it up some I am going to be 80 this year and I hope to see this finished...........Carl.........
  • edited August 2022
    That is simply incredible... oh those tiny 3D Printed bottles!
  • edited August 2022
    Glad to hear that you are going to put lights in it. With the dark walls, the lights will show off all your wonderful interior details. Otherwise, all the details you so worked your butt on would be very hard for somebody to enjoy.
  • Glad you can appreciate the maneuvering for the ceiling work Tom, love this kind of work.

Nice point out Bryan! its a bit hard to see with my thumb partially in the shot.

Lol...right on Carl...I hear ya my friend! I'm slow there is not question about that. Now that the floor panel is all fitted up I should start sailing along...thats the plan anyway.

Thanks much Brett. Yup, the galvanized wash tub has a coke wooden flat in it with two soda bottles and in front of the tub are three of those sweet little bottles, two upright and one on its side. That makes seven 3D parts right there...love working with them.

You are so right regarding the lighting Stephen, and I noted that from your fabulous work on this kit. Anyone who hasn't seen Stephen's Shelby's build should check it out in the gallery. This structure, with its two large unobstructed openings, makes it perfect for lighting it up!
  • Amazing work!! Ken you're really a detail man for sure as the shelf attests to that!!

Jerry
  • The thing that keeps amazing me Ken are the colors. I just can’t stop looking at the richness and variation. That in combination with the muted effects are just so realistic and credible. I’m still trying to get better at that myself and I’m looking for ways to use more than pastel chalks alone. I started working on a logging camp section trying to achieve better results than I did with my first module. It’s so nice to try, to learn and to improve. Your work is without a doubt something to aspire to and I’m very curious how this will all come together. Keep up the great work!
  • Ken, this is just more of your amazing work.. In HO !!!!!!! Glad you took photos because once everything is put together, much will be out of sight.
  • Hey Jeroen, nice hearing from you and really appreciate your thoughts here. You stated, in my opinion, the key to using colors in scale modeling...lots of color but nothing that stands out. I have made a point to add more color in my modeling which for me, is hard since I model on the "grunge" side of things! I love to try new things as well, with a goal to attempt something new with every build. For Shelby's it will be the water and a water front diorama. Thanks again and keep in touch.

Thanks Robert and that's exactly right regarding the photos. I like to document major pieces that go into an interior detailing for just that reason, they are often hard to see once they are planted.
  • Ken, you'll have to make sure that shelf is not hidden inside the structure. Even with a lighted interior it would be a shame to have it obscured.
  • Thanks so much Jerry! Missed ya on the first go, sorry bout that. Get a little carried away with the details sometimes that's for sure...can't help it particularly with the wonderful 3D parts Brett's producing. Have placed over 30 3D detail parts in the interior of Shelby's in just one 2" x 3" corner alone! How many gas cans should a facility like this have?...say a whole bunch...please!...love detailing those cans.

Hey Tom, should be reasonably visible once things are buttoned up. Thanks for your banter here on the forum, enjoy our conversation.
  • Thank you Ken for sharing your work. I always get ideas and inspiration from your creative ideas.
  • Glad to hear Tom and thanks.