visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• Ugh! On the positive side, those resin hunks did not break...so its just putting them back together and touching up the finish.
  • Kevin, that has to be the fifth circle of hell.
  • Been there, done that, (well, similar).... ie, had a model damaged/destroyed.

Yeah you're looking at the carnage right now, all those long hard hours of getting everything just perfect, that gear lever just right, the tracks perfectly level and parrallel, weathering just right...

I feel your pain to see all that perfection and hard work wiped away in an instant, but trust me my friend, as gut wrenching as it is right now, you got this.

Just walk away for a few hours, a few days, clear your head and don't look at it.
    Once the trauma ebbs away it won't be as bad as it seems right now and the rebuild will be easier than you are thinking.

Assess the situation with a clear head, put it back together, touch it up and keep on keeping on.

Thankfully when studying the picture it doesnt look like any parts were damaged, just the glue joints came apart... still heart breaking to see but, when you're ready you should be back on track in no time.

• i sorted the pieces into two piles last night and went about adding details to the model. i'll go back to the tractors in a few days.
  • Hey Kev, we all have done something similar...your next go at it will be even better and you'll chuckle about it down the road. Write it off as a character builder!
  • yeah, i already did... it still sucks though. i'm retiring at the end of april and plan on completely revamping my work space. (not like you did) so the dremel work station will be closer to an electrical outlet.
  • Sorry Kevin, that hurts. Keep the ole chin up and carry on. You do great work, so it will be even better this time. To coin the age old saying; "you gotta break eggs to make an omelette."
    Congrats on the upcoming retirement too!!!
  • edited March 2022
    Ohhhh, crapola dude! I knocked a couple diorama's off a shelf years ago and both landed face down on the floor in a giant pile of bits and pieces. Sucks major.

These aren't just models, they're a piece of us that we put our heart and soul into and you will bring it all back together and nail it. I agree with Emery, you do great work and will continue to do so!
  • kebmo said:

i had a whole thing typed out, hit some f**king key and everything disappeared. it's been that kind of day.
    i had about three hours at the bench today and made considerable progress on the interior details of the main building. my plan was to finish detailing the inside wall of the blacksmith station, and hopefully start putting that together. one thing i had to do fiirst though, was recut a groove from the left side of the base over to the rear wall of the blacksmith area for the forge lights. the original cut was about a 1/2" too close to the main building so when i staged the wall the forge wasn't under the forge hood.
    main building details 1

if you look closely you can see the second cut. i didn't get to finish it, and the reason for that this:

murder weapon

let's refer to this henceforth, as the murder weapon.

after i was pretty happy with the interior details, i decided to connect the saw blade to the dremel extension and make the cut, and as i was just widening the cut a little bit more, i felt the tension release on the extension, and a split, nay....a nanosecond later, i heard a terrible crash as i see the developing scene of the murder.

tractor disaster

both finished tractors; unfinished.
    there's no telling when you'll hear from me again, but let me say this from the rooftop:
    IF IT'S MAY I'M RETIRED!!!

Oh my....so sorry to see that. A constant thought when I am building. Almost lost my entire truck repair shed last week. it got caught on an open drawer that should have been closed as it was falling. Almost no damage.. I was lucky that your murder tool didn't visit my room.
  • edited March 2022
    admin said:

Ohhhh, crapola dude! I knocked a couple diorama's off a shelf years ago and both landed face down on the floor in a giant pile of bits and pieces. Sucks major.

These aren't just models, they're a piece of us that we put our heart and soul into and you will bring it all back together and nail it. I agree with Emery, you do great work and will continue to do so!

A little story about heart and soul... When I started my career in the 70's, I built models of refineries...pipe racks and all. We did not have CAD so all 'error checking" was done on the model. We modeled down to a 2" pipe...so virtually everything. 3/8" - foot. I was once working on a 3 tier pipe rack and its associated pump stations and was just about finished with my table when the Exxon company man comes in...looks at my work...and says...."maybe you should hold off going any further." Those were the days when O and G ran Houston and the Oil companies could do anything they wanted...before the oil embargo of the early '80's...but I digress. That afternoon my boss comes and tells me to clean my table...they didn't like the way it looked/was designed and we would start over. So 6 weeks worth of model building to be erased because some assh()le didn't like the way it looked. So I waited until everyone had left and put my hand at one end of the table and proceeded to wipe the table in one long wack. Just as my hand came into contact with the model, the VP of engineering came into the model area. Parts went flying everywhere. He came up to me and said..." I know it hurts...but just remember we get paid as much for destruction as we get for construction". I'll never forget that....But that was the day that my heart and soul was no longer in my "professional" model building. Thank goodness I got it back.
  • "My advice to you...is to start drinking heavily".......I'd listen to him....he's Pre-Med......I thought
    that it was pre-law?"
  • "My advice to you...is to start drinking heavily".......I'd listen to him....he's Pre-Med......I thought
    that it was pre-law?"

i'm down with that.....

• Sorry to hear Kev. It's hard to rebuild. Good luck.
  • edited April 2022
    joel, its just a matter of getting the time. the wife doesn't want to be (and shouldn't) the only one responsible for molly, who at just under 5 months old is still a handful. here's how desparate i am for bench time. the other day there was a discussion on here about using epoxy, and what the alternatives are. it was suggested that i use loctite super gel and glue two pieces of resin castings together and see how it works. i glued two 55 gal drums together, and saturday i primed them. yesterday, i went down to the bench to paint and weather them. i couldn't see wasting two drums, and who's to say it's not protypical to stack two empty oil drums out back? point is; that's about how drastic it is.... :)
    two drums
  • In our hobby, progress is sometimes measured in just gluing 2 drums together or gluing one tread on a staircase. It’s the price we pay! LOL
  • Kev…good to know you’re back at the bench even if only part time
    Terry
  • with only two more weeks in the work force, things are lookin' up.....
  • ALCO said:

In our hobby, progress is sometimes measured in just gluing 2 drums together or gluing one tread on a staircase. It’s the price we pay! LOL

and a steep price it is......

• i've been thinking alot about this diorama. I would like opinions.
    so far i've taken a dremel with a saw blade and cut two grooves in the base for the wires for the leds for the forge (one is in the wrong place). after thinking about it, i'm thinking it may be better just to drill a hole straight down through the base and pull the leds up through the hole. that will require me flipping the base over and routing a groove for the wires in the bottom of the base to get them to the edge. is it worth the trouble?
  • I think you have a couple options in addition to the one you describe. These come to mind

1) wire can be routed underneath scenery. Easily hidden in dirt. Could be covered by strategically placed debris if over flooring.

2) glue spacer “feet” to bottom of base using scale lumber. Probably would not need to be very thick given the small wires used.

3) with or without the feet above, tape will secure wire in place and make it so it does not accidentally catch on something when you move it. I use painter tape on foam or plastic but would go with masking tape on wood. I stay away from duck or gaffers tape because it is more difficult to reposition without damaging wiring.

4) run wiring up a stud to the rafters then back down another stud in a better position. Paint wires brown and hide with a board propped up against the studs. Glue to rafters to hold in place.
  • bryan,
    1, 2 and 3 make ;perfect sense, but i'm a little fuzzy on #4.
    can you elaborate?
  • Sure. Find the stud or support in a wall that is least likely to be seen. Rout your wire to that stud then run the wire up the stud. It can be hidden by standing a board up against the wall. Once you get to the rafters, start tacking/glueing it down and rout it to the location where you want it to go down through the base. Rout the wire down this stud and hide it like before. In the links below you can see how I routed wires through the rafters of my rigging shed and it looks like Randy did something similar on his truck repair shed. It's not the easiest or even ideal method, but I use this method when I want all the wires in a structure routed to the same hole in the base.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1277/around-october-25th-1921/p4

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1346/my-first-sierrawest-model/p9
  • Bryan, is right about me running the wires along the top of the wall. Four of the five light's wires run to the center wall and go down in the corner between the center wall and the front wall and through the base. On my truck build you can see the wires on page nine. From the top the third, sixth, ninth, and tenth picture shows the wire. Good luck Kevin. Randy
  • this is off topic but one week from today i will be retired and i can't wait.
  • Good for you, buddy
    Terry
  • thanks terry. it's been a long time coming and it's finally here!
  • A W E S O M E!!!! Congrats Kevin! One week and counting.
  • Now your puppy will have you all to herself!
  • Congratulation Kevin. I have been retired for twenty years and have not regretted it for a day. You will wonder how you ever had time to work. Have fun, Randy