visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• Great progress. Love where this is going.
  • Looks great.
  • Nicely done Kevin! Great scene composition and detail work.
  • The details are terrific Kevin!
  • Kevin, great job. What did you use for the lettering on the soda case? Randy
  • thanks everyone. randy, i think i did a google search for the graphic, dowloaded and sized it and printed it out.
  • i let it be known how much i dislike epoxy and what a mess i made of the treads, so karl sent me a message telling me about an easy way to epoxy the treads. i had some sections of 6 that were epoxied together already and i had made a helluva mess with them, so i separated them all and let them sit in alcohol for 48 hours. took them out and let them dry on a paper towel. then i used these tools to remove the epoxy:
    epoxy removal tools

back to karl's sage advise. this is the way i've been trying to get these things together, and while it worked, it didn't work well.

treads epoxy wrong way
    karl says THIS is the way to epoxy them.
    treads epoxy right way

i have cleaned all the treads of stray epoxy (and man there was a ton of it), and i might get down there tomorrow night to try again.
    heading down to chicago for theo's birthday tomorrow.
  • Thanks Kevin, I hope, (i'm sure) it helped you out and we all can't wait to see the results.
    I'm liking the look of that work area and your progress so far.

(Watch out for stray bullets in Chicago.... )
  • Karl.A said:

Thanks Kevin, I hope, (i'm sure) it helped you out and we all can't wait to see the results.
    I'm liking the look of that work area and your progress so far.

(Watch out for stray bullets in Chicago.... )

i'd be more concerned if i were going to a school in texas. or anywhere in texas for that matter....

• i built a tread "jig" from karls instructions and did a little experiment. i have three kinds of mud. vallejo earth texture, vallejo thick mud european, and vellejo thick mud black.
    here's the earth texture:

earth texture test

the european mud (this is the mud that's already on the cat treads, and that i'm salmost out of):

thick european mud
    and the black mud (which in my almost 66 yrs on the planet i've never seen occur in nature):

thick black mud

and a comparison of all three against the diorama dirt:

comparing the mud
    from that shot it's pretty apparent which mud i'll need to use. it's the thinnest, so i think the only way to make the tread marks stand out more is to build another tread jig using thicker lumber for the cross pieces so it will show up better (also my lighting is shit)

i also decided to extend the stone retaining wall. after some dirtying it up to match what's already there it will look fine. i might end up taking it all the way around i should have removed the two pieces of greenery, they're just sitting there.
    retaining wall extension

so i haven't been 'building' the structure, but i have been taking care of the other stuff; i'll get back to building but i have to finish the bates before i can go on.
  • Looking good Kev, it's coming along very nicely.
    Keep in mind, if you extend the wall any further the Bates might struggle to get inside....
    great work so far on everything.
  • Kevin, the stonework is very nice. I'm not sure I would extend it too much further as it might detract from the whole scene.
  • welp.....a bit of progress of a different sort.
    half of the "benchwork" is built. very lightweight, but very solidly built. considering the substrate is all foam, it'll be fine. it'll be in my basement with the other half of it next week. then i can start on the norton's diorama.
    half of the benchwork
    when the other one is done it'll be exactly 14' x 3'.
    i'll post a pic when they're both in place.

i'll finish the logging and tractor repair shed before i do though. think of all the additional storage underneath. picture a black fascia and black curtains to the floor.
  • edited June 2022
    A really nice piece of construction Kev, looks square, solid and true, just like your smaller projects.
    It's going to be a great place to display your work,
    the black curtains will be nice, especially with all those storage drawers hidden neatly behind them filled with SierraWest kits and SW products waiting to be worked on.

Looking forward to following and admiring your progress on all of your projects.
  • Karl.A said:

A really nice piece of construction Kev, looks square, solid and true, just like your smaller projects.
    It's going to be a great place to display your work,
    the black curtains will be nice, especially with all those storage drawers hidden neatly behind them filled with SierraWest kits and SW products waiting to be worked on.

Looking forward to following and admiring your progress on all of your projects.

there won't be any drawers. i'm not that sophisticated, but there will be a shelf for storing tubs, kits and guitar cases..... lol.

• Hey Kebmo:
    I learned a lot from this so thanks for sharing. The build is great as is the diorama. I suck at building tables but your table and diorama are great. I learn from every build you show. Thanks.
  • Kevin your moving alon on both projects. And I might add a wonderful job on both!!

Jerry
  • thanks george, but there's better modelers than me on this forum to learn from (like...all of 'em). i made one change to the table. for some stupid reason i built it so that foam base of the diorama would fit down inside the table. i flipped the table over so the dioramas will be on top of the joists like they should be so that the future fascia will be able to be up against the foam base and flush with the scenery.
  • Well that makes sense. Any pics of that or did I miss 'em?
  • george,
    here's a pic after i flipped it over.

nortons complex
  • This is really nice Kevin. It's a big diorama. Please share it when you get it all done. I imagine this will look really nice. I love the structure and the out building. Thanks for sharing.
  • thanks george. i'm working on the last building for this and once i finish it i'll probably start on the scenery. there's another foot of space behind norton's, so i'm thinking parking lot. i dunno. it is big. the end result will be 3' x 4'.
  • edited October 2022
    i decided to move norton's further back and possibly a little higher up, so i added a 4" piece of foam across the front and a 91/4" piece across the back of the diorama so there was room for piers and boats etc:
  • Norton's complex 1
    i'll probably put another light pole by the garage/parking lot. i'm thinking of raising norton's by at least an inch, so the guests can have a fabulous view of bawtitonie bay, which is a small part of the northern end of major lake, a premier fishing destination.
    i'm thinking of a float plane too....
    anyway...look what i did!
    bench cleaned off for  logging and tractor repair
  • Always nice to start a SWSM build with a clean work space...which equals motivation!
  • shaping up to be an awesome diorama!
  • This is really shaping up Kevin. Looking forward to you pouring the water in.
  • Nice structure placement. Can't wait to see how the scene comes together. Nice organization on your workspace.
  • Things are looking good Kevin. It is going to be a very nice looking waterfront scene. Randy