visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My first SierraWest model

Comments

• Great weathering!
  • Nice work on all the details!
  • Alco and Tom, thank you for your nice comments. Just trying to follow Brett's instructions and Karl's thread in the forum discussions under techniques. Thanks again Randy
  • This end of the building is almost finished. I still need to add a few more details and chalk weather some of the brighter details. IMG_1055resized
    IMG_1054resised
    IMG_1053resized
    I have several boxes and drums to add. Plus two workers working on the shed.
  • edited April 2022
    Beautiful pile of crap Randy! Lol...Love those wheels particularly the one leaning against the cabinet, awesome detail on those parts. Nicely done.
  • edited April 2022
    Thinks Ken, I think that was one of if not the first of Brett's metal castings that I painted.
  • Those are some splendid castings and you did them up really nice!
  • Nice junk heap.
  • Thanks Ken and Bryan. One more work session on the shed and then I will move on to the roof. Randy
  • Great job on all the details and scenery Randy, the rust on the ramp looks great and the fan blades on the block are a nice touch.
    Gas pump seems to be coming along nicely too !
  • Karl, thanks for the nice comments. I am not real happy with the gas pump. I spent time drilling the holes for the support rods and then the glass was to big and the rods would not go past the glass.IMG_1059resized
    Oh well, Live and learn.
  • I was worried about that when I saw you had done it.

Maybe a clear plastic drinking straw is slightly smaller, that is on my "to try" list.
    Or, just glue the rods to the outside of the tube, also on my "to try" list, next time I do one of these pumps.

Oil bottle looks great as does the glass dis-colouration on the pump.
  • The shed end of the building is now finished. I added a few more details and the two workers working on the shed.
    IMG_1058resized
    I also added chalk to the yellow wheel and the cans to dull them down. I added two springs by the blue tank. The barrels, boxes of junk and, and tools finish this corner. The other corner is almost finished. I may add another box or two and a few bunches of grass.IMG_1056resized
    I also added rust chalk to the springto blend them together better. The final picture is from the end of the shed and includes the rafters. If you look closely at the base of the barrel by the worker cutting the board you can see the end of the board he just cut off the board.IMG_1060resized
    This is the just about the end of the details on the outside of the building. I may add a barrel or box here or there but for the most part the outside is finished. Now it is time to start on the trusses and purlins for the roof. As always any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. thanks, Randy
  • Karl, I may try to add three or four supports to the outside of the glass. the pump is glued in place so I doubt that I will be able to put one on the back. Thanks, Randy
  • edited April 2022
    Randy, the minor adjustments you made to the yellow/bright objects made so much difference.
    I just knew you would notice (and adjust) them after posting the previous pics... you have the 'eye' now.

The small extras you add (such as the offcut piece of wood) are the small things that add a big difference to a scene and make it natural.
    I enjoy looking for them in your pictures.

Did you paint the checked shirt on the guy with the hammer ?
  • Karl, thanks for kind words. I can not take the credit for the checked shirt. It was a painted figure from Allen Pollick at Fun and Games. I pried the gas pump off and added four supports. I will post pictures of it and my work on the rafters and purlins for the roof tomorrow. Thanks, Randy
  • Karl, Here is the gas pump with the supports. I blackened the .012 brass wire and then spotted on some ivory white paint to get a worn look. This is the second time I reglued it in place. After I looked at the first picture the pump was leaning. So I pried it off again and re glued as it is now. RandyIMG_1069resized
  • Looks great Randy. Taking that extra small step always seem to pay dividends.
    Paint chips on the rods look right.
  • As I mentioned before in this thread I did not want to use the cardboard sub roof on this model. So Brett was kind enough to cut me some more roof trusses. First, I added four extra cross braces to make a total of seven. here are the ones on the left side of the building. IMG_1063resized
    I then started adding the trusses. Here I deviated from the instructions. I did not spot glue the trusses to the cross braces, but I did glue the trusses to the ridge board. Sence I was not using the cardboard sub roof the ridge board need to be part of the trusses from the start. I pit some tape over the top of the ridge board to hold it in place as I positioned the trusses. Here are all the trusses in glued in place.IMG_1064resized
  • The next step in my modified build of the roof is to add the purlins. I decided it would not be out bounds to use two purlins side by side. I wanted to do this to give a larger area to glue the corrugated to the roof. I also did not cut the eight boards but kept them full length. I thought this would make a stronger removable roof. Not That it will show up when the roof is in place I stained one side of the first two purlins gray on the whole underside and the others on the ends. This was to represent the boards being exposed to the elements. Here are the first two on each side purlins clamped in place while the glue dries. IMG_1065resized
    The purlins were glued to the seven center trusses, but not to the end walls. I then did the purlins at the roof peak and finely I centered the last two purlins between the peak and eves. IMG_1068resized
    I think the corrugated metal roofing is the last thing I need to do in this build. Here is the roofing material with two coats of Dark brown, mahogany brown, and dark rust.IMG_1070resized
    As usual any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Randy

• Suggestions... double the price you agreed to for building this.
  • edited April 2022
    Karl, that is a great complement. However, there is no price. I bought the kit, built it , and will give it to Rich. I just wanted to build one of Brett's kits. I know he Will not do an S scale kit but I sure wish he would so I could have his kits on my layout. Thanks, again Randy
  • I got started on the roofing last night. Since I used purlins rather than the cardboard sub roof I could not work on the roofing flat. Also there would not be any marks to use to align the pieces of roofing. I decided to cut the sub roof out of the carrier sheet. Then I cut the carrier sheed in half and taped that to the purlins.IMG_1078resized
    That way I had the marks along the side for the end overhang and the marks along the bottom to space the corrugated sheets. I added the first sheet of roofing following the marks using regular wood glue as stated in Brett's instructions. IMG_1071resized
    Because I could not lay this roof flat and put weights on it until the glue dried I came up with another method. I used my metal scale ruler and clamped it with small clamps. At the eave each corrugated piece could be clamped but that would not be possible on the second course of corrugated metal. IMG_1072resized
    After the first row of roofing was in place I had to figure out how to align the top course of corrugated roofing. I cut the sub roof in half at the peak. I then used the scribed lines to mark the spacing of the roofing pieces on the purlins. IMG_1077resized
    I then finished the top course of roofing clamping with the ruler and clamps at the ends of the roof. IMG_1073resized
    The other side is not finished yet. But from this angle that is not apparent.IMG_1075resized
    Today I plan to finish the other side of the roof. Weather and place the peak caps on the top of the roof. Again, any comments or suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks, Randy
  • edited April 2022
    Ok, the model is just about finished. The only thing I need to do is hook up the lights to the circuit board. The above photo is of the front of the truck repair.IMG_1079resized
    Here is how I clamped the upper course of corrugated roofing. Thge next picture shows the roof with the peak cap in place IMG_1085resized
    The back of the buildingIMG_1086resized
    The left end of the buildingIMG_1087resized
    And the last picture is of the right end of the building. The rust spots on the shed roof are real rust. They came from the weight I had the shed roof under to keep it flat.IMG_1088resized
    Now I need to figure out how to wire the lights to the circuit board. Again any comments or suggestion are appreciated. Thanks Randy
  • The roof matches the age/deterioration of the walls. Looks great.
  • Great looking scene...patterned shirt on the ladder guy, nice detail there.
  • Thanks Bryan, the roof started out rather blothey. I went over it again with paint thinned with alcohol and rust colored chalks. I hope this worked to blend the entire roof together.
    Ken, Thank you, but I can not take credit for that figure. It came painted from Allen Pollick at Fun and Games. Thanks, Randy
  • Ahh...still a cool detail to add
  • Randy, I can't believe I've missed so much. I'll have a chance to go through all your beautiful pictures in detail but what a great little build. Fantastic detailing. Just great.
  • Thanks Jole, I got many of my ideals from your excellent oficial Truck Repair build. I really appreciate the words of praise from a master builder such as yourself. Randy