visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My first SierraWest model

Comments

• edited April 2022
    randyp said:

Jim, Brett, Karl, Ken, and Kevin thanks for your praise. Kevin I have both the tool and rigging sheds to work on next.

i knew that. you said it earlier in the thread, and i was glib. great job on the truck repair and congrats on the award.
  • Thanks Tom it is appreciated. Randy
  • Thanks again Kevin. I am hinting to Rich Rands that I would be happy to build the rest of the Railroad Camp for him. If I can just get him to buy it for me. Ha Ha. Randy
  • After the results shown and your skills shown on this build Randy, then there is no doubt that your build will be worth whatever the price is.

I'm definitely looking forward to watching your builds of the Tool and Rigging sheds, and I know I'm not alone on that thought.

After (or before) that, I, and others will also be keenly following along with your afore mentioned RailRoadCamp build thread.

Whichever kit/build comes first I know you will enjoy building them and most importantly, we will all enjoy following along and watching your progress and seeing more of your great modelling.
  • You are right Karl. I know I will enjoy any build that I choose to do next. Randy
  • Very nice work. I have enjoyed following your build. I will most likely go back and add some more greenery to my model. Thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks, Sakman. Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I have been having a nice visit with my colon surgeon and the nurses at the hospital this week. Just got home two hours ago. Have fun adding to your details. Randy
  • I have not posted for a while. Got home from the hospital after having colon surgery last Friday. I have not worked on any kit but scratch building bents to go under a deck truss bridge that fills a between four and five foot gap in my main line. IMG_1096
    Here is the gap in the roadbed with the deck and two of the the three trusses temporarily in place. And here are the three bents temporarily in place for the joint between the first and second truss. I have two more bents to build for the other end of the center truss. I just did not want the rest of you to think after I finished the truck repair I had slacked off. Thanks, RandyIMG_1097
  • Great looking bridge so far Randy, really nice colour and construction.
    I look forward to seeing it completed.
  • Thanks Karl. The coloring is Prisma Color artist markers. I will post another picture or two when I finish installing the bridge.. Randy
  • Really nice bridge and scenery
  • Love the scene you're creating here!
  • The Thanks Bryan and Brett. The bridge is for the mainline and the lower track is a logging area. The left track is my logging mainline and the right track is to log loading area. The three drum donkey is there I just need to get the spar tree and the log cribbing installed.
  • Congrats again. Fantastic work on a fantastic model. Looking forward to much more Randy!
  • Thanks Joel, I am looking forward to my next Sierra West kit. I will have three small sheds when I get the line side shed from Brett. I plan to put all three of them together in one scene. That is ofcourse after I finish the bridge. Then I am thinking about the Foundry. Thanks again, Randy
  • randyp said:

Then I am thinking about the Foundry. Thanks again, Randy

Ha, we all told you at the beginning of this thread that there was no going back after building the best, you'd get the bug.
    Thats great to read about the foundry and I (along with many others) look forward to seeing your great work on all of these, and more great SWSM kits.

• Yes Karl, "all of you told me so". I have just been reading through Ken's HO foundry build and I got hooked again. Brett said two or three weeks until he can ship the kits I have ordered from him.. Looking forward to receiving them. Randy
  • Congrats Randy on having those kits in the wings! Great work on the layout, bridges offer terrific modeling opportunities as you are demonstrating...well done.
  • Thanks, Ken. I must say Ken, the wood work on your foundry build is fantastic. I am looking forward to trying to emulate your work when I get to my own foundry.
  • Appreciate that Randy and look forward to your approach on the build.
  • It has been a while since I posted. Took a little over a week of to have colon surgery. But I am now back at it. I said I would post again when I got the bridge installed. I thought I would show how far along I am. The trusses are in place and the bents are in position but not glued down yet. This is a picture from across the peninsula. IMG_1107resized
    You would not normally see it from this angel.IMG_1108resized
    This picture shows the second set of bents with a pass through to access the logging area in the background. Here is a shot to show that a car will go through the pass through. IMG_1109resized
    The last pictures looks back the other way showing the other bents setting on the new cut stone pier and abutment at the end of the bridge. As you can see I still have a lot of scenery to put in and freshen up.IMG_1110resized
    When I get the scenery finished I will post again. Thanks for looking. Randy
  • Glad to hear your surgery went well. Wow, now that's cool and some layout your building there!
  • KKarns said:

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Wow, now that's cool and some layout your building there!

ditto.
  • Thanks Ken and Kevin. I hope Brett does not mind me posting a few more pictures of the bridge I have been working on. Between the surgery and a trip to Florida I have not been getting much done on the layout until yesterday and today. I said that I would post some more pictures of the bridge when I got it installed. The piers and abutments needed to be colored and put in place. I color the plaster cut stone piers and abutments with the the first four artist acrylics and follow with an overall wash of Raw Sienna.IMG_1114resized
    These are also the colors I use on my plaster rock castings.
    The following picture is of one of the bridge abutmen that is colored and in place.IMG_1133resized
    The last two pictures are along the top and side of the bridge.
    IMG_1134resized
    IMG_1135resized

I want to thank those of you that that have followed along with the build of my first Sierra West Kit. I would especially like to thank the ones on the forum for all the feedback and encouragement during the build. This will be my last post on this thread.
    Look for my next thread. Which will be My Second Sierra West model. I have made a small start on the Rigging shed. It will be a few weeks before I post any thing on the new build.

Until then I will be working to get the layout ready for the tours for the NMRA convention. If your are in St. Louis for the convention be sure to stop by the Canyon and Rocky Mountain by Randy Meyer and say hello. Thanks Randy
  • edited June 2022
    Fantastic work on the layout, the scenery and of course the bridge Randy. Some terrific work shown throughout the entire thread and a spectacular way to bring it to a close.

I'm eagerly looking forward to following your new thread on your new build when it starts.
    Thanks for all the participation and effort you put into sharing your great modelling with us all.
  • Thanks, Karl. I have really looked forward to your comments and suggestions. Randy
  • Very nice work.I love the double-track(Guide rails) on top of the trestle.
  • edited July 2022
    Thanks, Paul. I just followed D&RGW's standard practice. If I followed the RGS's the guard rails would have been outside the running rails. Thanks again. Randy
  • Now those are some seriously nice bridges. I have a bunch of them to make. If they come out half as nice as these, I will be happy. Well done!!
  • Thanks, EmeryJ. I got the Black Bear jig and instructions on ebay and just followed the steps. Randy