visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• Wow Kevin, wonderful detail work there! That scene is terrific...
  • i had been waiting for around a month for an order of rail spikes from yankee dabbler. i ended up canceling the order friday because of really terrible customer service. i'd been trying for the better part of a week to find out when my order was going to ship, and they weren't even able to confirm my order;
    they refunded me right away so that was cool.
    i ordered spikes from des plaines hobby on friday and they should be here by tuesday.
    thursday, friday and saturday nights i will be glued to disney +. the peter jackson beatles documentary airs those nights and i can't wait.
    been waiting three years. technically i've been waiting since 1969 when the beatles yanked let it be from theaters. this is gonna be so much better.
  • What a great little scene. Beautifully brought to life.
  • Kevin, looks great!
    As far as spikes, purchased another order from Fast Tracks and will receive in a week
  • I'm also anxious for you to get your delivery Kevin.
    I need to get some ordered for my last three dioramas and anymore I may do.
    I usually make my own but, I'm over that now and am very interested in seeing the size of these before I order some.
  • karl,
    the ones i am getting are from microengineering ho rail spikes, 1/4", but they come in various sizes. i originally ordered 3/16" from yankee dabbler, but that didn't work out so well. des plaines hobby only had them in 1/4" and it was their last one. i pre=drilled all the holes so it doesn't really matter to me what size i end up with. and i'm gonna end up with a shit ton left over. i'm getting 1000 spikes and i'd be really surprised if i end up using 1/10 of what i get. .. pm me if you want me to send you some.
  • ken, joel and pappy,,,, thanks fellas.
  • finally an update:
    i got the rail spikes so i put the other project aside to install the rails and get them spiked.
    rails spiked
    interior rails spiked
    i was so glad to have gotten through that project that i staged the walls for a photo op. nothing is glued down in these shots:

staged walls 1
    staged walls 2
    staged walls4

and i got a little start on the greenery

start on greenery

and a bird's eye view:

birds eye view

next up: adding dirt to bury the ties.
    g'night guys. i'm pooped.
  • Very nice….how did you weather the rail?
    Terry
  • thanks terry. actually, the rails in the shop were airbrushed mahogany, and the outside rails were painted with a rattle can. first red oxide primer then dusted with krylon camo brown. i haven't really weathered them yet.
  • Very nice. Great job blending the greenery with the stone wall
  • Scenery turned out really great Kevin! Love how the scenery around the stone wall turned out.
  • The hand spiking of the rails looks exceptionally nice as well ;-))
    Terry
  • Looks fantastic.
  • i applied the dirt to bury the ties yesterday and none of the spikes are visible. i guess this is another of those, "i know they're there" situations.....
  • Great work Kevin. I like the greenery and stones. I have a lot of those situations... :smile: in my builds....
  • Maybe expose a few spikes so the rest of us know they’re there and can appreciate your craftsmanship?
  • Next time lay your ties down then add the dirt glue it down then put your rail down.
  • Coming together beautifully Kevin, everything looks great.
  • Kevin, it is fun watching your work come together. Always a great job.
  • I like the look of buried ties.
  • edited January 2022
    since having to put our dog sadie down in september, there has been a huge hole in this house. today we filled it.

Meet Molly.

Molly
    i kinda have a thing about naming my dogs after beatles women.
    and its easier to say than obla di obla da.....
  • Congratulations, she's a beauty.
  • Beautiful, she understandably already has your heart...
    After two years since my loss I'm seriously considering taking the next step,
    esp as one of the guys I work with is starting breeding Labs...
  • edited January 2022
    the last time we had to put our dog down (penny-a golden retriever) we waited a year to get another dog (sadie) because that's what everyone said we should do.
    we didn't see the necessity this time around. there was a hole so we filled it. we waited 4 months, that's long enough.
    the circumstances were similar to sadie's; some one abandoned a pregnant dog at a shelter. the shelter reached out to the rescues, the rescues have pretty stiff rules they have to operate under in illinois (puppy mills are illegal here) so they charge a flat fee and in this rescue the fee covers all the shots, deworming and spaying. that's the best $425 i've ever spent. we have to bring her to a certrain vet on a certain date. it's all set up already. it's a pretty cool system.
    by the way, molly's littermates were all blondes.
  • the family....
    the fam
  • Kevin, She is beautiful!!
    She will give you much happiness for sure.
    Our pup is also a rescue and we love her dearly.
  • yeah, she's already won us over.
  • A very exciting day!
  • Looks like she fits perfectly. Congratulations.