visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• geoawelch said:

Kevin, sounds like your pup was well loved and you were mutually blessed

yes we were.
  • edited September 2021
    Kevin, what helped me with my lost 4 years ago, we found a rescue pup 3 months old. She just turn 4 and love her dearly and loves everyone in my family especially the grand kids. This helped us big time.
    Have lost 2 dogs due to age and the best remedy in my opinion is getting another pup asap.
    Just a thought Kevin.
  • pappy,
    we're gonna wait a while before we do that.
    worked on the bates/ i have to wait for some parts from brett before i can finish it up, but i decided to tackle the body of the tractor. it's needs to be powdered to cut the color a bit (especially the seat and the floorboard), but over all i think it turned out good.
    right side weathered first pass

front weathered first pass
    Left side weathered first pass

rear weathered first pass
  • Understand Kevin.
    Keep up your great modeling bud!
  • You're moving in the right direction !!!!
  • Its a good foundation to work on.
  • toned it down a bit with chalk and a/i, and installed the levers. still a little ways to go on it though...

levers installed

and whilst waiting for parts i decided to start on the disconnect.
    i still have to find wheel sets. does anyone have a source for 26" On30 wheelsets with shouldered axles?

started on the deckboards in the meantime.

disconnect deck boards
  • I'm a fan of the Foothill wheelsets. There are 24" and 26" on this link. You will want the axle to be On3...you can get the wheels set at On3 or On30 but get the right axle length.
    http://www.foothillmodelworks.com/DetailPt.html
  • i don't understand. why would On3 be the right axle length v.s. On30 when i'm modeling On30?
  • The axle length is different. The disconnects are set up to take On3, it you get an On30 axle it will be too short. The wheelsets you will want are FMW-4011-On30b. These are 26" wheels on a On3 axle distanced for On30 track.
  • Look forward to seeing it detailed...good base weathering thus far.
  • brownbr said:

The axle length is different. The disconnects are set up to take On3, it you get an On30 axle it will be too short. The wheelsets you will want are FMW-4011-On30b. These are 26" wheels on a On3 axle distanced for On30 track.

thanks bryan.

thanks ken. i'll probably get down there tonight, the bears are on sunday night football, and the wife hates the sport with hot passion, so i'll turn it on downstairs and listen to it while at the bench.
  • edited September 2021
    brownbr said:

The axle length is different. The disconnects are set up to take On3, it you get an On30 axle it will be too short. The wheelsets you will want are FMW-4011-On30b. These are 26" wheels on a On3 axle distanced for On30 track.

Thank you for the great explanation!
  • yesterday i stripped the rails off of a section of flex track and as soon as i get my order of track nails i'll start on the rails. my question for the class:

would the rails inside the shop be rusted, albiet less than the outside rails???
  • Kevin, I struggled a bit understanding that as well. I gave Jerry at Foothill a call and he talked me thru it and sent me all the correct parts. Very nice man and really knows his stuff.
  • emery,
    i've ordered from him before, i agree, he's a real good guy.
  • Just my 2 pennies sir....
    I would rust them similar to exterior, but afterwards, add a bit of greasy oil look in various stretches.
  • thanks emery, that's exactly what i decided to do.
  • I did mine in the tractor repair shop with a light coating of dark rust and also a bit of oil or grease...keep in mind that the shop floor would be kept as non-slippery as possible..
  • Kevin, sorry for the delay in responding. I'm very sorry for your loss. We've all been through it, but it doesn't make it any easier. The worst part of it, is like you say, those parts of the house where they played or slept; the fun activities you did; etc. Painful. However, time does help. Hang in there. Phil
  • jerry from foothill models just returned my call. i was hoping to order the wheelsets. unfortunately for jerry (and me) the fire marshall keeps chasing him out of his house. his cell phone wasn't working very good at all and i wasn't getting any words from him, just half syllables.
    anyway....he's not really able to do business right now.
    does anyone have any other sources for the wheelsets?
  • You could go with the San Juan wheelsets. They have the pointed end on the shaft for easy rolling, but this will make for a lot of play when they are on the car. I'd pack the shaft socket on the car with a wad of paper then epoxy them in place.
    https://sanjuancarco.com/on30-metal-wheel-set-4-axles/

You could also go with the old Grandt line. Wheels might have a bit more detail and since it's for a diorama you won't need them to roll around.
    https://sanjuandetails.com/griffin-denver-26-wheelsets-dummies-for-scenery-only/
  • thanks bryan. ordered 2 packages of them.
  • started on the treads for the bates. wow, this might be the fiddliest thing i've tried to put together.
    i wracked my little brain trying to come up with a jig for it, but all i managed to come up with was this:
    tread building 1

i took a scale 2 x8 and inserted it in the slots on the first two pieces, and consequent pieces are added to the 2 x 8 and slid into place.
    i hope this wasn't all for naught.
  • edited September 2021
    Kevin, looks great just don't overthink and come back later.
  • i'm gonna be out of commission for a while. i'm replacing our kitchen cabinets, counter top and sink. the place is gonna be in dissarray for about a week.

i just found out that i need to go on a low cholesterol diet. i guess i can't have my 4 milkshakes a week anymore.....
  • edited October 2021
    took a break from the bates and finished the disconnect. it's just sitting on a short section of flex track.
    finished disconnect 1

finished disconnect 2
  • Looks good. I might drybrush the dark wood to bring out the grain a bit.
  • thanks bryan. i will do that.
  • Kevin, I like the grimmy dark wood effect. Looks like through out the years oil and other stuff accumulated on the wood base.
    Great work!!