visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• edited August 2021
    i went fishing with a guy this morning that's been my friend for 63 years. we put his 16 ft lund with a trolling motor in the lake we grew up on (doesn't allow outboards). its really a shallow, weedy man made lake, and we know where the deep spots are.
    there were 4 other boats on the lake, and 3 of them were kind of tailing us. anyway, it was pretty windy so we went to a spot about 30' from a 12 foot hole with sandy bottom and dropped anchor. we were throwing 2.5" grubs on 1/8 jig heads on 8lb test monofilament. my hands hurt from fighting so many fish today. we both caught 3 pounders and we each had 9 or 10 more 2 lbers.
    AND...we both caught hammerhandle (22") muskies.
    it was the first time either of us fished in 8 or 9 years.
    and i thought building a model was relaxing......
    it was 75, sunny, windy, and a hot fishing day.

thanks guys for your opinions. what is the size wire you guys use for the wires?
  • I've used magnet wire and 30g bare wire for spark plug wires. Have used 30g coated wire for hoses. Keep it small and just a few go a long way
  • Kevin, nice job on the cat. Man, this looks difficult. Phil
  • i thought you guys might enjoy this picture of a fake tree. it's a cell tower made up to look like pine tree of some sort.

fake tree
  • it made me think of a giant layout tree....

i added a vallejo product simply called mud (this the european option (looks like baby poop). i have the black option too and it looks like tar) to the tracks and let that dry. then i carefully used alcohol and a chisel blade and removed the epoxy that remained from a previous 'attachment' and sanded them and the epoxy points on the body to get a good connection, i applied the epoxy and i clamped it together for a day.

epoxying the muddy tracks to the body

i think i'm gonna have to alter the base a bit with some surgery and post surgery modifications. more on that later.

• Sorry Kevin, I meant to post these two pics for you earlier. We are cutting an old track in half to make two fire pits. Best job of weathering from me you will ever get... LOL.track1
    track2
    Junky old thing only weighs 7800 lbs.
  • that's a serious fire pit.
  • Kevin I think the tracks look caked with good old IL sticky clay
  • i'm calling the cat project finished. the rest of the details will come when it gets planted.
    finished cat 1
    finished cat 2
    finished cat 3
    finished cat 4
    i did end up adding hoses and a wire to the engine.
  • Kevin, keep up your great work. Love the mud effect on the tracks
  • So realistic that I wouldn’t even touch it without gloves! LOL. Great job.
  • Looks good. You will have to do a muddy base to go with it.

Touching the treads on the tracks with some graphite will make them pop. Try it on the underside to see how how you like it.
  • Love it Kevin! Nice and grungy.
  • thanks everyone. great idea bryan, i'll try it tonight.
  • Great job Kevin! I think the mud looks great!
  • Nice job Kevin !!!
  • i previously mentioned the base needing surgery. i felt i wanted more room for the cat repair scene, so today i removed a portion of th foam/sculptamold.
    base surgery 1
    and to make sure it was weighted properly while the glue set up:

base surgery 3

there's no disputing the weight of that iron, is there?

i have since removed the iron and painted the new area.
    i have an afternoon wedding to attend tomorrow (i'm not thrilled about it but it's our best couple friend's daughter) so i don't really know when i'll be able to get back to it, but when i do i need to mix up some sculptamold, add paint to it to darken it up, and fashion a stone retaining wall on one section of the new foam, and fill in the rest of the areas as needed.
    indeed, with me it's always one step forward and two steps back....
  • oops. this pic was supposed to be between those two:
    base surgery 2
  • Ahh...no worries Kevin, things always look worse before they get better!
  • i built a small retaining wall out of some stones.
    retaining wall
  • i have to go to a wedding this afternoon, but i'm gonna try and getr some sculptamold down this morning.
  • The dark/muddy base will continue the story of the Cat treads.
  • first sculptamold, then the mud comes....
  • update:
    i added the sculptamold and some dirt to the new terrain:
    sculptamold surgery 1

sculptamold surgery 2

the dark spots are still wet.

and i finished detailing the cat:

detailed cat 1

detailed cat 2

detailed cat 3
    detailed cat 4

progress is slow, cuz things keep coming up.

has anybody heard from karl a lately?

• Nice work Kevin. That's one grungy, well used vehicle! Look forward to seeing it planted on the diorama.
  • My better half would never let me have a workshop in the living/family room! LOL. I second KK’s “grungy” assessment…which means “Looks great!”
  • Yes...right...grungy is good!lol
  • Great job on the Cat. Phil
  • That's some serious muddy soil this cat has been ploughing through... Nice work Kevin..