visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• Congrats on the recent acquisition! Will look forward to seeing what you do with it. Such a nostalgic kit...Ken
  • the cookhouse casting is incredible.
  • I Have one of the original HO Blue sky (1995) on the shelf that I bought from a train show for around $100 bucks. No metal parts in this version all resin...tons of resin parts. Not sure when I will start this build.
    Keep up your great work Kevin!

Pap
  • edited November 2021
    Definitely an incredible kit Kevin and one you will enjoy building.
    Hard to believe that kit was released 10 years ago, and still beats every other (non SWSM) kit out there.
    But then again, the original HO blue sky, Brett’s very first kit is still better than anything anyone else offers today, 35 years later.

Congrats on the kit, have fun and post updates !!!
  • Hey Kevin, turn that cookhouse casting upside down and see the signature? Might just be the same dude who posted right before me!
  • admin said:

Hey Kevin, turn that cookhouse casting upside down and see the signature? Might just be the same dude who posted right before me!

karl that's an amazing piece of work. excellent job on the mold. i'm intimidated enough by your work, and now i color some of it? yikes!
    so here's my train of thought for next year: its my last year on the job, which also means it's my last year of getting reimbursed for up to $1000 for my hobby. originally i was going to buy the saw mill, but it seems to me that the foundry would be a better idea because it ties in with o'neill's. so i'm thinking january i'll be placing my order(s).
    i'd love to see a drawing of the waterfriont kit so i could scratchbuild it....hint, hint.

• edited November 2021
    Thanks so much, I was/am honored to be a small part of such a great kit.
    kebmo said:

i'd love to see a drawing of the waterfriont kit so i could scratchbuild it....hint, hint.

Wouldn't we all love to see that, but we all know it will be worth the wait.

• Kevin..here’s a thought…continue working for an additional year and get the Blue Sky and the Sawmill….jest thinkin’ out loud ;-)))
    Terry
  • Kevin..here’s a thought…continue working for an additional year and get the Blue Sky and the Sawmill….jest thinkin’ out loud ;-)))
    Terry

perish the thought.

• for the forehead slap category:
    i ordered some track nails thinking they were track spikes.
    big difference.
    i'll order spikes now; [WHACK!]
  • here's a question for the panel:
    once i get the rail spikes and that part gets completed, should i a) glue the main structure to the base boards or b) mark where the walls will be, remove the main structure and place as many of the interior details as possible on the floorboards before gluing down the main building?
    i'm leaning toward the latter due to the difficulty of placing them with the walls in place, and having the opportunity to acurately detail the floor boards according to what is sitting there (i.e. the lathe).
    this is a dilemma for me cuz i tend to be a little ham handed. pros and/or cons?
  • I'm trying to remember how I assembled my walls. I seem to remember glueing the 4 walls of the main structure 2x2. what I mean is looking at the front of the model, glue the rear and right wall together and the front and left walls together but let them dry with all 4 walls in place. Once dry, you will have 2 sets of 2 walls that have been glued together. From there you can work on your floors first then add the right/rear assembly and glue in place. Place more details on or around these walls. Once you are ready, add the next set of 2 walls.
  • that's a great idea. i'm going to have to separate them, because i've already glued it together, but as i see it that's a small price to pay. thanks.
  • A little alcohol on the glued joints will help separate them.
  • Great progress and great modeling since I last looked. I understand completely about getting Blue Sky- it went to the top of my list of next build.
  • A fantastic kit indeed !!!
  • i spent a little time at the bench working up a little scene prior to gluing stuff down.
    drafting scene 1
  • Wow Kevin, that looks fantastic!
  • I concur, looks excellent Kevin !!
  • That is spectacular Kevin. The rolled up plans and sloped top bench are a great detail.
  • thanks guys.
    miles to go before i sleep.....
  • What a great wall . The rolled up plans are a good idea. Well done .
  • Looks fantastic Kevin, the bench is beautifully done and the items on the wall add some great depth to the scene.

Karl.A
  • Nicely done...like the little details...
  • A great scene, Kevin
    Terry
  • Color variations on back wall add interest also. Well done!
  • looking good Kevin!
  • Nice work Kevin. Love the clutter on the workbench.
  • Great work bench. Really like the rolled up plans. Maybe plop a wrench down on the one that's on the bench as it would have probably rolled back up when laid down.
  • brownbr said:

Great work bench. Really like the rolled up plans. Maybe plop a wrench down on the one that's on the bench as it would have probably rolled back up when laid down.

great idea