logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Those eyes are saying “okay, dad…what are we doing today?”
    Terry
  • awwww, what an absolute cutie!
  • That is the "I wanna help" pose.
  • Wow she is gorgeous. Enjoy!
  • she's a cutie but she sure keeps us on our toes. chews everything....
  • A beautiful shot Kevi.n
  • What a beauty, Kevin

George
  • Nice shot. I notice no teeth marks on the legs of your furniture. At least not yet.
  • thanks geo, she is a cutie.
    byan, so far the tooth marks have been contained to my hands and arms.
    i shoulda bought stock in band aids....
  • edited February 2022
    kebmo said:

thanks geo, she is a cutie.
    byan, so far the tooth marks have been contained to my hands and arms.
    i shoulda bought stock in band aids....

she drew blood outta my left ear yesterday and you can call me scabby these days
    i miss you guys but digging having a dog in the house again.
    i figure it'll probably be another month before i get any bench time. puppies are handful. has mike engler posted lately?
    case closed.
  • Kevin he just did. I tuned out a few weeks ago and a little while ago I checked to see if I missed anything. Big news was Molly- congratultions! Molly doesn't get it yet but she has won the puppy Powerball lottery!
    I uncovered my logging and tractor repair shed and decided to check if you or Karl had made any progress on yours- only a couple of hundred posts since I last looked! Will take me all afternoon to catch-up.
  • edited February 2022
    karl's going gangbusters on his. Im on puppy haitus. glad to see you posting mike. how's the pup?
  • i got a couple of hours in at the bench yesterday, so i decided to build some saw horses; i built 4 horses, and came up with a gluing 'hack'. the 2x4s for the legs are the same thickness as the jig, so after a couple of the legs sticking in the jig because the glue oozed out from the leg and got on the jig, i dedided to peel back a couple of plies of the jig to make the 2x4 stick out above the jig to make the gluing a little easier.
    sawhorse jig
  • Good tip Kev.

What I did some time ago after experiencing the same situation as you was to split the jig in half (thickness wise).
    This will give you two thinner jigs to use.
    While one sawhorse is drying in one you can build another in the second half of the jig.

It takes some care to do, but if you have a couple of Brett's kits you will have a couple of jigs to try it on.

Sawhorses and pallets are a good little chore to do when modelling time is limited to short bursts.

Keep up the great work and ideas !!
  • thanks karl. i like your idea better. i've saved all the jigs brett has ever sent me, so i know what my next task is gonna be.
  • Thanks Kev. Brett's jigs are an awesome help and addition to achieving great 'handbuilt' items to enhance the finished model.
    As Brett says often, " using the laser to aid construction " without losing the craftsmanship.

I've also got a slight adaption to the pallet jig, I guess I'll need to take some pics of that at some point and share that one too, but I'll post that somewhere else.

• good tip for sure
  • kebmo said:

i got a couple of hours in at the bench yesterday, so i decided to build some saw horses; i built 4 horses, and came up with a gluing 'hack'. the 2x4s for the legs are the same thickness as the jig, so after a couple of the legs sticking in the jig because the glue oozed out from the leg and got on the jig, i dedided to peel back a couple of plies of the jig to make the 2x4 stick out above the jig to make the gluing a little easier.
    sawhorse jig

Thanks Karl. I am working on the Truck shed and did exactly that. Was pretty easy to peel back several layers. Am working on the Corrugated tonight and then will be done. WELL.....are we ever really done?
  • Sakman, that was Kevins great work/idea that you showed, he deserves the credit for that one.
    Mine was a different idea.
  • Gezzzzzz. Someday I'll learn how to use a computer.
  • i don't know if this will work or not. i've seen others post videos, so fingers crossed....
    this is a video of how my forge is gonna turn out once i finish the main building details and get the dirt floor and wall down on this side, but i think it's gonna look really good.

well it didn't work, so i too a screen shot of it:

well that didn't work either, so i'll go downstsairs and take a t picture of it. be right back,

forge fire still shot

the "fire" you see to the right isthe light of the forge reflecting against the walls of the main building.
    well, i had two hours at the bench tonight. i did a couple of pallets (or skids as we used to call them), and worked on the forge lighting, so i probably won't get back down for a few days. theo comes saturday to stay over night (and hopefully occupy molly for several hours).
    i was gonna stage the wall with the forge hood for the pic, but when i did i realized that i misjudged the position of the forge, so i have to do a little surgery and move the forge over a few feet.
    all in all i'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

• I like the color of the glow.

I had to upload the video to Youtube prior to loading here.
  • Nice effect!
  • brownbr said:

I like the color of the glow.

I had to upload the video to Youtube prior to loading here.

i have no idea how to do that

• KKarns said:

Nice effect!

thanks ken. i probably should have left some light on though...

• i had a whole thing typed out, hit some f**king key and everything disappeared. it's been that kind of day.
    i had about three hours at the bench today and made considerable progress on the interior details of the main building. my plan was to finish detailing the inside wall of the blacksmith station, and hopefully start putting that together. one thing i had to do fiirst though, was recut a groove from the left side of the base over to the rear wall of the blacksmith area for the forge lights. the original cut was about a 1/2" too close to the main building so when i staged the wall the forge wasn't under the forge hood.
    main building details 1

if you look closely you can see the second cut. i didn't get to finish it, and the reason for that this:

murder weapon

let's refer to this henceforth, as the murder weapon.

after i was pretty happy with the interior details, i decided to connect the saw blade to the dremel extension and make the cut, and as i was just widening the cut a little bit more, i felt the tension release on the extension, and a split, nay....a nanosecond later, i heard a terrible crash as i see the developing scene of the murder.

tractor disaster

both finished tractors; unfinished.
    there's no telling when you'll hear from me again, but let me say this from the rooftop:
    IF IT'S MAY I'M RETIRED!!!
  • Kev…I was about to say how good it is to see your back to modeling but….now I don’t know what to say….
    Terry
  • Kev…I was about to say how good it is to see your back to modeling but….now I don’t know what to say….
    Terry

thanks terry. the only thing i can think of saying right now isn't fit for print..
  • Oh man that's gotta hurt. So sorry to see this. I know it sucks but you'll fix it up good, I have faith.
  • jim,
    thanks. i'm so f**king steamed at myself i could spit.