visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• thanks everybody. i'm looking forward to it. thought i'd clear that up if you couldn't tell.... :)
  • Enjoy Kevin. Congrats!
  • Congrats. I'm pushing that line also, just haven't had the kahunas to pull that trigger.
  • Was she told when she was young
    That pain would lead to pleasure?
    Did she understand it when they said
    That a man must break his back
    To earn his day of leisure?
    Will she still believe it when he's dead?

those simple lines from a beatle song convinced me.
  • welp, it's official today. i'm done. no more logging into the associa intranet every day. no more listening to people bitch and moan.
    true story: i got a call a few weeks ago from the emergency switchboard telling me to call a condo owner back because his kid was locked in a bedroom. wtf?
    that's pretty much what i hated most about the job. dealing with pinheads.
  • Congratulations Kevin!

Now you can be the one to bitch and moan about all kinds of stuff. Why are there so many kids on the road in the middle of the day? Why is this coffee too hot/cold? Why are you mumbling? The possibilities are endless. I'm sure from your time in the Navy, you turned bitching and moaning into an art form. Time for art class to begin.
  • brownbr said:

Congratulations Kevin!

Now you can be the one to bitch and moan about all kinds of stuff. Why are there so many kids on the road in the middle of the day? Why is this coffee too hot/cold? Why are you mumbling? The possibilities are endless. I'm sure from your time in the Navy, you turned bitching and moaning into an art form. Time for art class to begin.

get off my lawn
  • oh no, first day and he's already yelling at the kids to get off his lawn... HAH!

E N J O Y your retirement!
  • Congratulations Kevin! Enjoy retirement. Start building more SW models! Oh yes and don't forget to post those builds here.
  • Much better class of pinheads here LOL. Next thing you know, you’ll be looking for a part-time job haha. Best wishes of this next phase!
  • my plan was to crate molly at 8 am and go dowstairs to reorganize my pathetic workspace, but i went to a big box last night and bought a new storm door for the back door and the guy came to install it around then. she came downstairs with me for a while (and ate the burn can scene on the ltrs) anyway, i needed to organize it in anticipation of receiving the saw mill. as it happens, my glass worktop is 22" x 32" so i can just squeeze the saw mill into that. here's the before pic:
    bench before
    you can see the murder weapon on the right. the only power source is a power strip kind of behind the desk, and that's plugged in to the only outlet in this part of the room and that's to my left as i'm sitting at the bench. i needed to find a way to get it closer to the power source and that required some relocating and rearranging. but now i think i've got it. i decided to cover the entire area under glass top with black construction paper. when i took the glasstop off to wash it and put the new black paper down it was disgusting because around six months ago i spilled quite a bit of a/i and that was a bitch to get cleaned up. anyway, here's what i ended up with:

bench after
    yesterday i started on that shelving unit to my right, and i still have quite a way to go to finish that up.
    after all that i played with a few castings. it felt to be back down there after four months...
    now if i can just keep it that way til the sawmill comes.
  • Good to have you back, Kev…..don’t forget to shut off the alarm clock Sunday night!!!
    Terry
  • my alarm clock is a furry black thing with four legs and a small bladder. 4:30 is sleeping in.
  • On the bright side, if that small bladder is waking you up when it needs emptying that's a positive. Much better than stepping in a puddle.

Congrats on the retirement, hope you still find enough time to share some with us,
    all that spare time you think you have will get eaten up real quick. Enjoy !!
  • Karl.A said:

On the bright side, if that small bladder is waking you up when it needs emptying that's a positive. Much better than stepping in a puddle.

Congrats on the retirement, hope you still find enough time to share some with us,
    all that spare time you think you have will get eaten up real quick. Enjoy !!

that's what i keep hearing. i'm gonna try and be a little protective of my time though. i think i have it worked out so that i can get in a couple of hours a day.
    fingers crossed....

• Your workspace looks to be well stocked and organized.

I found that I needed an extra space while building the sawmill because of the shear size. Set up a STURDY side table for the task.
  • brownbr said:

Your workspace looks to be well stocked and organized.

I found that I needed an extra space while building the sawmill because of the shear size. Set up a STURDY side table for the task.

as long as molly isn't downstairs with me i can use a coffee table i've used for other models. it's plenty big. she bit a "burn barrel' scene off the ltrs yesterday, that was sitting on top of that table. i coulda killed her. i see this stuff on the carpet and i get down on my knees to pick it up and it's pieces of a resin barrel and burned scale lumber. guess i'll have to redo that scene.....

• Lol...nice set-up Kevin. Takes on a whole new light when you can plop down there and hole up for days on end...now that you're retired and have nothing else to do!
  • KKarns said:

Lol...nice set-up Kevin. Takes on a whole new light when you can plop down there and hole up for days on end...now that you're retired and have nothing else to do!

that's pretty funny ken.

• an update:
    we brought molly home on january 5. about two weeks before then we had a big windstorm that blew 4 fence panels on the neighbor's fence down. that's the fence on the east side of our yard. it was quite a dilemma at the time, because we couldn't let molly outside. we house trained with training pads, and that only took about a week. in the meantime i bought a roll of 4' high snow fence and stapled it to his posts, just so molly wouldn't go into his yard. anyway, to make a long story short, molly hadn't pooped outside once in her life. now that i'm retired it's my job to train her to use the outside as her bathroom, rather than our kitchen.. i willingly accepted the task. so here's my plan: at 8am she gets put into her crate, where she stays for 90 minutes. then i put her on the leash and we go outside for 15 minutes. then its back in the crate. yesterday was day three of this plan. She pooped outside yesterday, and i was crying sweet tears of joy! the byproduct of this program is 90 minutes of bench time, a 15 minute break, and 90 more minutes of bench time so i'm loving it!
    i worked on a bunch of details yesterday, and i also got the cat back together.
    cat rebuilt 1

cat rebuilt 2

cat rebuilt 3

i was never happy with how the bates turned out, so this afternoon i'm gonna get started on rebuilding the bates.
  • Nice work getting that Cat back together so well.
    Looking forward to seeing the rebuild on the Bates.
  • Sounds like a good plan, Kev
    Terry
  • Kevin, nice rebuild. great mud on the treads. What did you use for the "burlap?" on the seat? Looks good. Randy
  • Looking good.....like the mud
  • thanks fellas. randy, the burlap was in bag 4. lol.
  • yesterday i came to the realization that the cat repair doesn't take place right outside the building, and that it happens in the lower level. my lower level has (had) a ramp to get the tractors up to the shop. i decided yesterday that it needed to be removed, so i took out an old saw blade and put it in the handle and went about chopping. here's the before shot:
    Dio suregery 1

and a couple of after shots:

dio surgery 2

i added some sculptamold along the back side too because i wasn't happy with the terrain.

dio surgery 3
    the sculptamold won't be fully set up for a few days cuz it's pretty thick in the back, but once it is, i'll get started on redoing the scenery in that lower area so i can start to place the cat where it belongs.
  • Making great progress Kev, looks like you've been doing quite a lot in the background. The shed interior looks fantastic from here.
    Cant wait to see the updated scenery/landforms.

Sometimes a step back can be a big delay(mentally), so happy to see you just went ahead and redid what you thought you needed to.
    Keep that ball rolling and keep up the great work.
  • thanks karl. the treads on the bates are giving me fits these days, but i think it will end up being in more disrepair than repair....lol. my grandson comes today, so i won't be able to get back down to bench for a few days.
  • See...you’re retired and busier than when you were working! Nice progress on the build.
  • i got some details placed yesterday and hope to do more today.
    started placing details