visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• so my birthday happened, and my daughter (who shares the birthday with me) gave me a $50.00 gift certificate at micro mark, so i ordered a dremel workstation.
    dremel workstation
    it came, and i set it up, and tried to get my dremel to work with it, but then i saw on the workstation box that my model isn't compatible. its real old. a friend's neighbor drove a garbage truck and picked it up one day and brought it home and gave it to me. i have no idea how old it is. anyway, i ended up spending an additional $85 for a dremel 3000 with the flex shaft attachment. i used it today to buff these guys.

buffed castings
    all that took about 20-25 minutes at slow speed.

so much for that. back to the project:
    i started on the cat a few days ago, and got these parts epoxied together, per the instructions.

clutch housings and frame epoxied

i'm gonna epoxy the treads to the frame later tonight.

• Happy Birthday Kevin!!
    I have the same Dremel stand and you will love it!!

Pappy
  • edited July 2021
    Paint (base coat) those three assemblies first before you epoxy them together. You'll get a better base coat in the hard to reach places of Brett's amazing castings. Easier to get good coverage while they are apart and you have access to all sides.

The only place you'll need to remove the paint is the inner of the rear drive wheels for a good epoxy bond, scuff these areas up with sand paper for good tooth, I'm sure this is in the manual (I read it there first) but wanted to remind you.

• How much did you have to give daughter to get $50 back?
  • Can't have too many tools on hand!
  • Kevin, not a bad plan to get a new Dremel!!! This is the only way to buff those babies!! Phil
  • Look forward to your work on that piece Kevin...such a wonderful casting. Terrific work thus far.
  • brownbr said:

How much did you have to give daughter to get $50 back?

her childhood, a couple of cars, 4 years at university of iowa......

• KCSTrains said:

Kevin, not a bad plan to get a new Dremel!!! This is the only way to buff those babies!! Phil

i'll never NOT use it from here on out....

• KKarns said:

Look forward to your work on that piece Kevin...such a wonderful casting. Terrific work thus far.

its a little intimidating. i hope to epoxy the engine parts on in the next few days. i'm gonna prime/paint first.

• TomMich said:

Can't have too many tools on hand!

i'm rapidly running out of room. not like karl osolinski, but for my limited space...

• made a little progress on the cat tonight.
    tomorrow i'll weather the tracks and epoxy them on. the next day i'll epoxy the engine components on.
    cat body and engine block weathered 1

cat body and engine block weathered 2

cat body and engine block weathered 3
  • the glue (epoxy) points for the treads is masked
  • Nice progress.

Something I tried (unsuccessfully) to do with the seat was to add a worn area where the driver would sit. If you could pull this off it would look great. If not, cover it with a tarp.
  • great start Kevin!
  • brownbr said:

Nice progress.

Something I tried (unsuccessfully) to do with the seat was to add a worn area where the driver would sit. If you could pull this off it would look great. If not, cover it with a tarp.

i would love to be able to model a rip in the seat with straw sticking out of it, but i think that's a level of modeling i have yet to attain.

• thanks brett.
  • Good start Kevin, it's all fun from here on.

Thanks Bryan, you reminded me of something I forgot to do, so, I just did it.

Come on Kev, dont back out on me now, we're supposed to be in this build together.
    I'll post mine in my thread, my paint is still a bit wet/shiny tho, ha.
  • edited July 2021
    kebmo said:

made a little progress on the cat tonight.
    tomorrow i'll weather the tracks and epoxy them on. the next day i'll epoxy the engine components on.

My advice, after just building this beauty, is to leave the tracks off for now.
    The hubs on the main body are a great holding place while you add all the details to the engine and body. Once the tracks are on its more difficult to hold and rotate the whole thing to work on the body, dont ask how I know, I think I had my tracks epoxied on at one point then took them back off till I was finished with everything else.
    I also had the body on a popsicle stick while working on it as an extra handle to make it easier. (as seen on my page3)

• thqnks for that. my plans for tonight have just changed....
  • Also, make sure the track hubs fit easily onto the body ‘nubs/axles’ before you add all the small details and weathering.
    Going back and fine tuning these parts to fit easily is a bitch after everything is weathered and detailed due to all the handling required.
    Ie, make sure the holes in the track hubs slide loosely over the axles as step one tonight.
  • edited August 2021
    i've been working on the cat, and i got all the engine work and main body work done today and tomorrow i''ll add some mud to the treads and epoxy them to the body. i was terrified of this detail and i think it's gonna turn out okay.
    dozer engine parts 1
    engine parts 2
    and here it's posed with the treads.

cat posed with treads
    the doubled up 4x4s are just propping the control levers up while the epoxy sets up.
    the jury is still out as to whether or not i'll add wires/hoses. i'll prob'ly have to give it a shot....
  • Kevin, you should stop being so modest because this is great stuff !!!!!
  • Looks great Kevin, and you should give it the final detail of wires and what not...will finish it off nicely.
  • Tread assemblies look fantastic. It is awesome to see so many of these being built over the years and the different was they all get finished off. I also vote for wires.
  • That is great looking work Kevin. If mine turns out half that nice I will be pleased. Keep up the excellent progress.
  • Wires/hoses are a must. You will be glad you did.

Excellent job on the track rust and engine grime.
  • There’s a trend here…great job! Add the hoses and maybe the smell of some diesel…?
  • ALCO said:

maybe the smell of some diesel…?

Yes!
  • If it has spark plugs it will have to smell like gas no plugs on a diesel.