visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• Now that's a fine collection of castings, ready for you to work your magic...

Right...putting the structures together gives you a good "feel" for how things are and will look like and drives your progress...looking great Joel.

• not to mention the over 100 white metal castings. you're gonna be a busy guy.
  • That is looking terrific Joel, the weathering is just great and everything (apart from the dock) is so well done.
    Cant wait to see your results on those castings....
    Keep up the great work, and the pace!

Karl.A
  • I primed all the castings (the resin ones) and will let them sit for a few days while they dry.rsz_img_2146
  • Work in progress, a joy to behold.
  • While waiting I cut the ribbed roofing and decided to play around with the colouring. First I tried to finish a piece as per the instructions:rsz_img_2140
    Then I tried using a brown primer, then a coat of hairspray and then grey acrylic paint and then chipping away at it as Alan has suggested. These are quick studies to see which I like
    rsz_img_2142Not sure why the primer was so textured but the effect is not bad.
    Next I tried the above method and sponged on a bit of brown and orange paint and then a bit of chalk.
    rsz_img_2141Lastly I primed with grey and then sponged 3-4 different grey colours to emulate the sort of galvanized roofing and then sponged on some brown and orange rust.

rsz_img_2145

After all this dries I'll place each on the model and see what works best to my eye but I think I like where the last one is heading. It's obviously a quickly done cartoon sketch but it has potential. Comments?
  • Halfway between the last two would be my preference.
    The dark aged rust in the last one is great, but, maybe a small area or two
    with the lighter/orange new rust in a few specific areas/seam lines would enhance it.
  • Yep, I agree with Karl. That last image would be perfect if there was some hints of brighter orange in the patches of rust. Nice work Joel...
  • Looks good Joel. But I agree with Karl on this one to.

Jerry
  • Joel. I live in a area where there are a lot of tin roofs and very few if any are rusted most have the faded paint from new my choice is the first one, I would be glad to take some pictures of the roof's around here if anyone would like to see them . ..............Carl
  • Ah Carl,
    Here's where you open a huge can of worms. I agree most roofs are just a dirty grey but visually that is less appealing. Aside from abandoned buildings, I rarely see so much peeling paint. 99% would be fine with a couple of boards here or there that peel and maybe the lower couple of boards at that. I think one has to decide on the level of art vs realism one is trying to achieve. I think the rusty roof adds a ton of visual interest and the shades of red work well with the wall colouring. A flat grey roof may be more prototypical but I would rather be a bit of a caricature and be much more visually appealing. I think this is a balance everyone must strike for themselves. The beauty with Brett's kits is you can finish them with as much grunge and decrepitude as you want.
  • All of the metal roofs I see on commercial/industrial buildings are rusty to some degree, minor to major.

Karl.A
  • Well what do I know not much I guess enough out of me. ................Carl
  • Right on Ed...I couldn't bring myself to model a metal roof anything but rusted and dull. It may be one of those things that not everything prototypical looks good in either HO/O scale. No matter how well a galvanized roof is done, to me it draws just too much attention and stands out. I personally like the first panel per Brett's instructions that's dulled down and weathered. I think some rust on that first panel like the pics you showed here Joel would be nice. But that's coming from a grungy guy like me!

The rust effects you got Joel are really nice, hard to pick a favorite as they are all well done.
  • I took a piece of packing sponge and picked at one end until it was really uneven. rsz_1img_2154 Then I went over the pieces of primed ribbed roofing with about 5 different shades of grey. I used SW grey and kept adding a drop of white to the small pool.

This is my result so far. rsz_img_2152
    rsz_img_2153

Tomorrow I'll add the rust.
  • I like the look you are getting with this technique. How do you think it might look with adding fading washes? Will you seal the acrylic paint with something like Dulcote prior to adding the rust, if the rust is going to be chalk/alcohol?
  • So I added the first coat of rust with 3 shades of red/brown paint using the same sponge. I then added a bit of water mixable oil paint and dabbed on dry chalk. So far everything is compatible so I don't have to worry about a barrier or any fumes. Now I'll let it dry for a couple of days and then add some grime and rust streaks. I likely will fiddle with these for a few days.rsz_img_2160
  • Very effective, Joel. I think your layering of the gray color(s) is key.

Yep, rust and corrugated roofing are highly subjective. Often personal taste is the deciding factor since you can find a protype photo of any level of rust and rot. Often the final placement on the roof is the only sure way to see if the roof panels "fit". I'm positive yours will be stellar as always!
  • While waiting for the roof to dry before installing and weathering I thought I'd start on the welding shop siding.rsz_1img_2147
    rsz_img_2148
    rsz_img_2151

• Ok so I tried the damp brushing with antique White as per the instructions.IMG_2155
    Not bad but seems a little washed out. I decided to use the old Mineral spirit resist that Brian Nolan taught me at the first Craftsman Kit Show. I've had variable results before.IMG_2157
    IMG_2158
    IMG_2159
  • Now I looked at the pictures of Brett's model and realized that he has almost no white paint on his welding shop. Ah well I'm pretty happy with this look but I hope it doesn't throw everything off balance. Not sure if it was worth all the extra time I spent detailing the wood as almost everything is covered. The effect is pretty good though. Hopefully the roof is dry so I can install that tomorrow.
  • It's always worth the extra time, Joel!

The first attempt looks a little fuzzy. Almost like the paint was too thin maybe? In The second batch (mineral spirits), even though there's more white on the boards, the cracks and peel are in scale and very effective.
    Some of those from your first set have almost no white and are mostly gray--they might mix in nicely as an accent board or in a spot that would be exposed to more water.
  • Looking great Joel. My welding shop in HO/HOn3 had a very light well worn paint effect like Brett's O Scale pilot model, as this was done to create a contrast to the paint peel on the main building. Once you get the two together on a mock up check the effect and see what you think. I can see the wonderful wood detailing even with the paint...well worth the work you did here!
  • The roof panels are dry. so I glued them on and started the job of flashing. I supported the peak trim with a small square piece of strip wood, just for some added support.IMG_2162
  • This is just the undercoat. Hopefully the washes bring it to life a bit.
  • I really like the two different shades of wood. Very well done.

Alan
  • Glad you added that note Joel! Your wood siding on both the main building and addition are just perfect. Still amazed by how that tire bumper loading dock and doors turned out...splendid my man!
  • OK rafters tails are all done and first set of washes are done (grime and rust (two shades)). I just set the loading dock and tower next to it to give a sense of what's coming. Really picking up a bit of steam here. No way it will be done for the Expo but I should have the main building complete.rsz_img_2170
    rsz_img_2171
  • Definitely like the mineral spirit peel effect
  • A day of boring work. Made a pile of shingles. Got some old balsa 1/32 sheet and sanded it down to less than 1/64th. Cut in strips and then snapped the boards with the chopper. Now just to sand most of the edges and stain them to match. Like I said boringrsz_img_2169
    After much discussion and review I'm gonna increase the percent of rust on the main building. Hopefully pictures tomorrow.