visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• Joel, that's ok. It's what you like best that matters. I like the color. The wall looks great. Keep on keeping on. Phil
  • Great looking wall Joel. This is my favorite part of the build...detailing the wood and you nailed the peeling paint and weathering. Your knot holes look great because they don't look like you made a knot hole! They look perfectly natural and random, great work.
  • Thanks for all the pictures Joel...at this rate, the diorama will be done in time for the Expo in November!
  • You say you like the one on the second board from left....
    I also like the one on the second board from right, then...
    I scrutinsed the wall and found quite a few more that I like, at
    first glance they add something to the wall, texture, difference,
    individuality to the boards as an overall feel, but then looking
    deeper at the separate boards they become visible, perfect.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl for the kind words. I have to say it is coming along well. The four walls are done and the trim is done. Not sure what happened but I ended up with enough strip wood to build another building. Today i made my first major departure from the instructions and built a door. Really I'm in O scale now because I built Brett's amazing rigging shed. I remember the day I built that door, board by board. The results were fantastic. I bit time consuming but in my mind worth it. I could have fininished all the doors and windows in that time but It's a nice little touch. I used the supplied base layer and glued a layer of stripwood (distressed and painted to match) on top. I added a doorknob (sewing pin ground down and a scrap of paper painted brass), also some hinges for the transom. Not done but a good start for this wall.rsz_img_2040
    rsz_img_2042
  • Joel,

Your peeling paint looks great on the siding and the door. Great job.
  • The olive looks great.
  • Love how the paint is less faded up under the roof Joel. A subtle yet important detail that adds to the visual effect.
  • Well a pretty productive couple of days. I used the bottom door layer as a base and built me some more doors. I did discover that after painting the laserboard if you scratch it with the tip of an 11 blade held upside down you can get a bit more character into the material. Hopefully the pictures show that. rsz_img_2046
    rsz_img_2047
    rsz_img_2048
    rsz_img_2049
  • Thanks Wes for noting the paint under the eaves. It probably should be under any overhang including the awnings and such. If I was really crazy I would make each wall different as I'm sure Karl can attest depending on the exposure there will be more fading and moisture damage on one side versus the other. I just never know how I am going to orient my model until it is done so I leave this for the truly committed.
  • edited September 2017
    Stained the wood for the addition and worked on the "white" door. Still needs a handle and some distressing of the base layer but it's a good start. Too tired to do any more tonightrsz_img_2050
  • Finished the door and did the siding for the addition. In this picture you can see how I used the precut ends to best effect by using all the stripwood ends on this prominent wall. I used them for the abutting boards and for the ends of row on one side or the other. I used a piece of stripwood along the side to keep the edge sharp. Very little samding and cutting on one side. The cut edges are used toward the window and door openings.rsz_img_2053
  • Love the green doors Joel. The paint peel effect is terrific. Looking superb and your wood treatment is getting the utmost attention which I really enjoy seeing.
  • Thanks Ken. Don't want it to go to your head but I did read through your entire clinic on wood before doing any of this. Quite pleased with the results so far.
  • That's a weird shaped window in the last pic.
  • edited September 2017
    Glad to be of some assistance even if it was just moral support, as I have seen your wood treatment in the past and you need no help from me in that department. However, as Bryan mentioned we must discuss your window rough opening technique!
  • Maybe Ed does his windows the same way!
  • Ok I think I improved the window opening a bit.rsz_img_2057
  • Wow Joel. Simply excellent craftsmanship.
    Mark
  • Fantastic Joel, terrific modeling and effects.

Karl.A
  • Great looking door and window. Love the mail slot and the grimy...sorry...grungy weathering at the bottom half of the door.
  • Joel-
    Your peeling paint on this build is once again top notch! Precise construction all around.
    Love the hint of brass around the mail slot--very cool attention to detail!
  • Joel
    Your coloring is beautiful.

Jerry
  • Just got my set of reaper paints and part II of this kit. OMG the paints are great but part two is incredible. I have been building kits for almost 50 years and this is the most superdetailed kit I have ever attempted. It is so fantastic I am rambling. The pictures only scratch the surface, there are dozens if not hundreds of details I missed while pouring over the published photos on the web site. It is breathtakingly stunning. I am in awe. I only hope to live up to all the effort Brett put into creating the finest kit ever produced.
  • Back to work. Last night I built the small canopy over the rear door. Went together easily but I was so tired I made a few gluing errors. All came out ok in the end. I cut the supports but I guess I'm not as good at this as others and could get the blade to stay perpendicular. I made a couple of simple cardboard jigs from the scrap in the box and the template. (This would have been a great time to have a laser cutter).rsz_img_2062
    rsz_img_2063
    Then I used them with my true sander.rsz_img_2064
    rsz_img_2065
    and voila!rsz_img_2067
  • I like it a lot.
  • Looking good. You are certainly getting the hang of it. Phil
  • Love your comment regarding the O'Neills Kit...well stated. Brett's material just gets better and better if that's even possible. I'm working on BlueSky which is 22 years old and its a killer kit. So very nicely done Joel, the siding in combo with the weathered doors and window looks great. The "awning" addition just finishes it off.
  • Well I got all the wood distressed and painted for the tower. Some really great effects. Adding the grey really adds a lot. Reminiscent of Brian Nolan's technique. I used a couple of different greys so there are more variations. If you look at my chipboard wall you can see I marked where Brett abutted his boards and copied the exact layout. Talk about lazy. Truth is if he spent all that time creating the perfect balance and I like the look why fiddle with it. Started laying the boards. Same sort of thing as with the addition.rsz_img_2076
    rsz_img_2075
  • Really nice coloring on the boards, and I was drawn to how nicely detailed each board is and the obvious attention you gave each individual piece. Nice idea to mark the areas where the board ends meet ahead of time. The Tower is such a focal point ofO'Neills and your giving it the proper attention for sure!