visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• Really loving where this is going. Coloration is superb...
  • Wanted to say again Joel, how much I love the main building loading dock wall picture further up this page. Simply wonderfully executed (i can say that if I want!). Those doors are just awesome. I'd say more about the tower wall but you only have 11 rows done...geesh...get busy. (bet ya everyone checks em to see if i can count!)
  • Ok I didn't do a ton but I painted a few details and finished the first tower wall. I actually photocopied the sign sheet onto a piece of tissue paper ( after taping it to normal paper) for the fire extinguisher label. Karl taught me that trick a while ago.
    rsz_img_2077

I lost a lot of the vibrancy and some clarity but the thickness is more prototypical so I think it was worth the tradeoff

rsz_img_2078
    rsz_1img_2079
    rsz_img_2080
  • That first picture is just amazing Joel. My eye goes straight to the door...so masterfully weathered...then right to the planking that simulates the wood floor of the building just a perfect light worn wood color...then on to the grey weathered timbers of the loading dock tire bumper...that is one stellar casting and your finish is perfectly done. The wood grey color is so good...tell us how you achieved that perfect grey. Fire extingusiher is a wonderful detail.

• Ah Ken, you know I hate to share my secrets. This was a little bit of magic I never tried before. I followed the directions. Brett gives you all the tools, not only the best castings but the best directions to finish them. Spray paint flat black, dry brush/damp brush with Reaper Earth and then when dry I rubbed on a little brown chalk.
    Right out of the directions.
  • Outstanding Joel!
    I'm on board with Ken's comments on the gray wood.
    The label on the extinguisher is perfectly aged/colored. Thanks for the reminder Karl's tissue paper-copy paper trick. That's one I'd forgotten about...or more accurately, have never been brave enough to try!
  • Wonderful work Joel.
  • Ok planked the second wall of the tower and did a bit of detailing on the first wall.rsz_img_2102 I used .006" brass wire blackened as the protruding nails where the board has slipped. A bit oversized but the effect is subtle enough. Not quite done yet but closer.
    rsz_img_2103
  • Hey Joel, Awesome work in the wood walls!

Alan
  • Nice extra detail.
  • I think the effect is perfect, visible but not overdone. I see you cut the template backing away to install a framing board...well done.
  • Joel nice job on those nails.

Jerry
  • Seems like such a small step but gluing the walls is one of my favouritesrsz_img_2108
    rsz_img_2109
  • Looking terrific, Joel. There's a nice contrast between the brown siding of the upper story and the peeling cream color on the lower section.
  • Looks Great Joel. You’re moving really fast..you might be done in time for the Expo at this rate...
  • edited September 2017
    Looks great Joel, I know the contrast of the bare wood 'sticky out bit' is a design element but damn it looks good. Your treatment of the weathered bare wood next to the weathered paint wall is such a great contrast, but, blends so well.
    I'm also loving how you worked that 'almost' white band around the top of the main walls, obviously you show a consistency where the paint would be protected by the roof, but, there's also great variation between adjacent boards. They follow the same guidline, and yet they all vary, just enough. Superb.

You might wanna paint the inside of those walls with a quick an easy coat of flat black while you still have easy access, yeah I know you can flip it over and do it later, but, hey, roof on, more details added, more structure... just leads to more possible mishaps. A thought for you.

Gluing the walls together is my favorite step too, yeah, if you follow the instructions they look great flat on the bench, but, I still always get impatient and rush the last couple of steps just so that I can see it all together, then I sit back and just look.

Karl.A
  • Thanks for the nice comments. I think I will take a bit of time and paint the inside black and get some wiring for some lights I plan to add. No way this one will be finished in 5 weeks. I don't think I could even paint the castings in that time. I hope to have the roof on and maybe a sketch of the welding shop. Who knows it is coming together quickly. I guess that's what happens when a kit is engineered so well. Also I am itching to start detailing the loading docks and don't get me started on that boiler scene...
  • Looks great. Nice coloring on the bare wood.
  • Rarely do I get to assemble 2 sets of walls in the same week. I still have the awning and some weathering to do but it is progress.rsz_img_2124
    rsz_img_2125
    rsz_img_2127
  • Joel Nice work there one of the best i have seen..................Carl
  • Great job with the grunge!
  • Love the siding. It sure looks old. Door is very nice also.

It would be kind of cool to have a letter half-way hanging out of the mailbox...or whatever that box is.
  • Excellent! That sagging piece of siding in the third picture is killer!
  • Wonderful work Joel, love the door weathering.
  • Great coloring Joel.

Jerry
  • Very nice. The best superlatives have been used by others. You seem to have gotten the hang of the weathering.
  • Absolutely nothing wrong with that Joel.
  • Mighty fine work! Colors are wonderful...
  • Thanks for that. First pass at getting the foundations done. Couldn't help but pose the model pieces to get an idea of where I'm heading. I did replace the guy wires with thinner ones as I wanted a more rickety appearance.rsz_img_2129
    rsz_img_2130

Spent the day day prepping some castingsrsz_img_2131
  • It's good I'm posting these picture as obviously the concrete is too blotchy and not weathered well. I'll improve it in pass 3 or four.