visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• Joel's peeled paint on this structure is one of the best I've seen. He shared some of his early test samples and gave us a cool glimpse into the process which took him to the final result.

I always enjoy a "behind the scenes" tour of modelers and their methods.
  • Outstanding work Joel and congratulations on the award(s).
    So many great things to see in that second to last photo, (as with many of the others)

Also nice to read that your trials lead to discoveries,
    I've always said, test things out and you'll learn a lot along the way.

Karl.A
  • Karl, you're so right. I discovered many effects and techniques by trial and error.

Joel, this O'Neills is really very beautiful. Congratulations.
  • OK after a whirlwind tour of Altoona and all she has to offer I'm back home. Got the replacement parts from Brett and hopefully I don't blow it again. Here's the first wall. Still have some detailing to do and colour to add but I haven't posted in a few days and wanted you to know I'm not slacking - too much.
    rsz_img_2404
  • edited November 2017
    Great seeing you at the EXPO and what a treat to be able to admire your work on O'Neills. Welding Shop siding looking superb, love your butt joints on the boards.
  • The streaks on the barrells turned out nice.
  • Oops, used the wrong trim on the doorway. Here it is corrected.rsz_img_2408
    The next two walls The boards are spaced slightly which improves the appearance and makes the most use of the board on board. Only problem is light leaking from inside when I light it.rsz_img_2409
    rsz_img_2410
    One more wall and then the real fun begins. Detailing....On to ONeils part II
  • I've always puzzled about the balance; light leaking out = cold air leaking in, and I have to wonder how much of that the guys working in the building would put up with... But you can't argue with the beautiful appearance.
  • Working on details, details, details... here are two but the shelves and workbenches have a ways to go.rsz_img_2438
    rsz_img_2439
  • Nice work on the tank...and that hose looks fantastic. That’s something I struggle with...

Alan
  • Great detail work on the delivery pipe assembly. Love the valve and hose nozzle on the equally well "grunged" kerosene tank!
  • Thanks I sort of struggled with the tank. Tried peeling paint then I just painted it rust and scraped a bunch of chalk into the wet paint and covered with a very thin layer of paint. Let it dry and then rubbed the casting so some of the chunks of chalk broke off and removed the top layer of paint exposing the chalky underbelly as it were. A bit out of scale but it looks good.
  • Really nice work...
  • Joel, continued nice work on this structure. Keep up the good work. Phil
  • A couple of work benches. Pretty much following the directions. Just changed the wire handles for the paint cans to .006" - a bit more prototypical and a lot more difficult to work with rsz_img_2447
    rsz_img_2449
  • Excellent work !!!!
  • Those are looking great. Nice job of matching colors on the wood/resin bench. The wheel grinder/polisher looks to be a new casting...unless I never noticed it in another kit I like it.
  • Nice job on the castings Joel.

Jerry
  • Favorite casting...the Paint Can. A SierraWest Original.
  • In my haste I forgot the paint drips and rings from paint cans. I did want to do some paint can lids too but I have to find a small hole punch. I made a tool to make rings by taping a piece of paper to a drill bit after wrapping it tight. Dab it into paint, remove most on a paper towel and dab on the workbench. Much better I think.rsz_img_2451
    rsz_img_2452
  • Nicely done Joel. Love the paint cans and associated details. The drips, rings, etc...look great.
  • Well done, Joel. The wet paint rings on the work surface are a nice touch.
  • edited November 2017
    One wall almost done. Still some shiny spots and touch ups to do but will wait until it is assembled to finish
  • Hoses look great! That shovel is a monster to cast...
  • Looking good !!

Jerry
  • edited November 2017
    Nice work Joel. Love the subtle pop of color on the hoses/ropes/cables. Just the right amount.
    What did you use to make the barackets that they're hanging from?
  • Bill said:

What did you use to make the barackets that they're hanging from?

Castings included in the kit of course!

• Those are cool. I didn't recall seeing them in kevin's build.