visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• As promised here is a slightly more rusty roof. Still a few shiny spots but I'll work it out. A better contrast.rsz_img_2186
    rsz_img_2185
  • Love it!
  • I love individual shingles, def worth it.
    Metal roof is looking fantastic, like the protected areas and variations.
    Really nice.

Karl.A
  • I liked the idea of a "beginning to rust" roof, but the full-on rust does look better.
  • Joel, I definitely like this version of the rusted metal roof. I also like the contrast in the wood tones. It adds a lot of character. Great job. Phil
  • Very nice. I totally agree with KCSTrains
  • edited October 2017
    I noticed the way you have a more defined rust streak on the tar paper roof in that one area.

Your thinking would be....? More water running off the tower roof, dropping down over the overhang onto the metal ribbed roof. The ribbed roof prevents water going sideways in either direction. Thus creating a concentrated waterflow in that one area causing more rust run off and discolouration onto the tar paper below... ?

Nicely done, and noted.

Karl.A
  • Great Job on the Roof.

Alan
  • Sweet looking roof Joel! Great analytics on the tar paper roof rust stain Karl...great execution Joel...something I wouldn't have thought about.
  • Man that roof came out good Joel.

Well done bud.
  • Looking outstanding....the rust is just right.
  • been working on adding some lights so not much to show here. I weathered some corregated and finally added the detail to the back awning.rsz_1img_2191
    rsz_img_2189
    rsz_img_2190
  • This is one bad ass roof you patinated there. Super work, and very inspiring. Thanks for posting.
  • Great job Joel.

Jerry
  • Coming along splendidly Joel.
  • Great job Joel. That roof is excellent.

-Steve
  • Thanks everyone. Here is another roof. I "strengthened" the support by using HO scale NBW castings.
    rsz_img_2197

I also started shingling the tower roof.

rsz_img_2192

Lastly worked a bit on the oil tank. Maybe a bit too much. I may tone it down a bit. I did try to make the welds with "gel medium".rsz_img_2199
    rsz_img_2200
  • The lighting did some weird things to the oil tank. I'll bring it to the show and see what you guys think.
  • I really like the treatment you did on the ends of the timbers, real nice work.
  • Thanks Karl, I'm pleased with that too. Really easy just went at it with a file card. I then exagerated a couple of grooves with the exacto knife. Just the lighting makes the grime and oil streaks seem very non vertical. Also I can barely see the mottled rust on my model tank but it is obvious in the picture.
  • Nice job on those timber ends. Very realistic.

Jerry
  • OK finished the roof for the tower. Now I think I'll take a small break and go to the show.
    I'll bring her along in case anyone wants to see. I'll debate the pros and cons of repainting the oil tank at the show. See you there.rsz_img_2208
  • Hi Joel,

You have just nailed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Very well done. All the colors are just right !!!
  • Joel. Very nice great work. .......Carl
  • Beautiful Joel! Well done
  • Great job Joel.

Jerry
  • Hope to see you in Altoona....I only wish I had had the time to get mine further along...keep an eye out for me.....Art B. white mustache....
  • Lots of fun in Altoona. Great group of people but still missed quite a few of you. I had a few hours and finished the work bench and details for the back dock. The chains are actually hanging on .01" wire hooks.rsz_dsc_1050

The work bench was a blast. Nicest comment I got at the show was someone inquiring if I built it up board by board. A testament to Brett's brilliant castings.
    rsz_dsc_1047
    As far as the barrels go, not much point because Robert has posted the perfect way to paint them. I only wanted to show mine to tell a story about how I "Blew it".rsz_dsc_1054
    So I followed Roberts directions and painted them and then covered them in brown chalk. Then I don't have any good markers so I just used a sharpie to colour in the bands. I must have done it too quickly because by the time I finished "painting" the bands the entire barrel had lightened up too much. I figure no harm in a quick wash of AI to tone it all down. Well apparently Sharpie ink is alcohol soluble (who knew) so I got these lovely streaks of black. I actually like the way it looks. I will probably add a bit of rust to the bands and leave them as is. BTW the details on the dock are not glued down yet. I just tacked them there with scenic accent cement so I can work on it all a bit more.
  • Nice effect Joel. many great methods are discovered by accident thats for sure. I may have been the one that asked if that bench was built up...