visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• Now that's some nifty details. Well done Joel and love the finish work on that shovel, great stuff.
  • Thanks all but I really can't seem to leave well enough alone. I worked for another few minutes on it and made some improvements. I believe the wall hooks are one of the many Super detail items not available in the HO model. Wait until you seethe paint brushes and clip boards. Amazing stuff.rsz_img_2459
    Then I spent an hour building a window. Since it is at the forefront of the model I thought why not build it board by board. A stupid idea and now I have 3 more to build. rsz_img_2464
    Its pretty much hidden under the drive through. Ah well one step closer to being institutionalized.
  • Wonderful Joel. So glad I bought this kit. Cant wait to jump in and build it.
  • Most impressive.
    It would look really cool if you had some subtle scratches on the wall where the chain dangles down...in a short arc like they have swung back and forth a few times.
  • Joel. Save some of your talent for the rest of the build just outstanding. ................Carl
  • Joel, Wow!!! You are making me want to convert to "O" scale. Heaven forbid!! Phil
  • Phil,
    It is truly a wonderful scale in which to model. Love the idea of the chain making gouges in the wall. I finished the windows and just for the heck of it I added some trim on the inside edges and made the channels in which the windows move. No one will notice but it's a small detail I've always wanted to model.rsz_img_2468
    rsz_img_2469
    Now on to the details...
  • Even just knowing these details are there are very satisfying for the builder himself.
    Great work Joel !!
  • Great window detail Joel. That next to the last picture is the money shot for sure. Beautiful looking wall.
  • Wall number two almost done. Just some rust and shiny spots to fix up.rsz_img_2495
  • Joel Your build is looking real good it need's some vines...................Carl
  • Just a quick update. I started detailing the inside walls and took a picture to see all the flaws. I think I have about 20 thing to fix in this one shot. Great tool the digital camera.rsz_img_2504 2
  • I don't know Joel...pretty darn nice from where I'm sitting! My eyes are squinting to see one particular detail...hmm...just can't quite see...

Wonderful details, love the head gaskets, fan belts with packaging!, welding hoods, etc, and of course that one detail....geesh...put my glasses on and that didn't help.
  • Looks really good Joel. The floor might be a bit clean though.
  • Joel I see it is it on the right the third board on the left looking south. ....Carl
  • WesWes
    edited December 2017
    Wonderful Joel.

My only nitpick is that the 1 number plate in the door may be in a great location to take someones ear off. HAHA
  • It looks to be the perfect balance between a busy yet not often cleaned workshop....too much grunge in a busy business doesn't tell the right story....but the right grease mark...or slightly dirty tool....works great......you won't find much if any rust in a busy work area.....well....maybe that one wrench that fits nothing...lying on a shelf....keep up with the great work....
  • Hmm...20? I can only see a couple so can you at least give us a hint on The others??
    Bryan picked up on the clean floor. (Possibly the same could be said for the walls: a little build up of dust).
    The chair needs something to my eye...looks a bit new.
    The one large license plate on the bottom: I don't think they'd have it extend into the doorway.

I spot more stuff that I like:
    Labels on the fan belts, the clip boards, the old welding helmets. The way you've placed things on the wall is spot on, in my opinion. There's a feeling of "just hang 'em over there and I'll deal with it later" from an O'Neills employee.
  • Most of the flaws are shiny spots I need to dull down (really obvious on the bar holding the chains), there are edges of the signs and license plates that are too pale, the grey wash on the masks leaked over the visor part a bit, the floor and stool are way too clean, the edges of the framework are much darker than the fronts, the drawer pulls are just too darn clean and bright, as are the clips on the clipboards. I think the bottle on the welding desk should have a label....don't worry I'm on it. The placement of most details is identical to Brett's as he captured that natural messiness so perfectly. I've just added a few small details (like making sure both clipboards didn't have identical writing on them and some added signs and bottles).

Thanks for playing the game though, it's a weird kinda fun.
  • OK on to wall 3. rsz_img_2508
  • Great work Joel! That outside wall looks incredible, the texture and color is perfect. The interior is looking great too, did the cylinder head gaskets and belts hanging up come with the kit?

-Steve
  • Everything you see in all of Joel's pics came with the kit... If you would like to see this kit on my website you can go here:

http://sierrawestscalemodels.com/311b.html
  • Ah you beat me to it Brett. Yup just about every single thing came with the kit except a couple of signs and I added a few bits of an old watch to some of the workbenches. I think I added a couple of extra castings from my last SW build too (a small can on the window sill comes to mind). As I said when starting this thread this is one incredible kit. There is nothing out there that provides this level of detail throughout. It is mind blowing really.
  • Another great wall with super details. I like how you planned ahead and detailed the left side with the fan belt and gaskets to match up with the back wall where the other gaskets and belts are.
  • Thanks Ken but once again I'm pretty much copying Brett. He is such a master of making a mess look believable. I added one fan belt and one extra gasket but that's about it. And before anyone asks they are all in the kit along with the little labels that really sell the illusion. Not saying I haven't done anything but the hard work is done for you in this kit. The rest is just good old elbow grease and a steady hand. In some ways it frees me up a bit knowing I'm following the directions.
  • Joel, you do a very good job at following directions and making it look like your own. Most of us follow Brett's directions to build up the skills and techniques and then we can build our own thing.
  • Ok just a bit of painter's tape holding the walls together to get an idea of what it's going to look like. The floor needs more dirt and I think I'll add another clipboard to the side of the shelves on the left wall.rsz_img_2510
    rsz_img_2511
    rsz_img_2512
  • It looks amazing Joel. You've really done well with the look and feel of the shop.
  • Beautifully done Joel! Such a sweet little scene both in design and how you executed it my friend. Oh...that bare spot on the wall straight ahead just to the left of the door is just begging for a small barrel without a lid for a trash can...full of trash of course...here's a beer bottle you can throw in!...clink...
  • Looking awesome