visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I like the oil stain revised much better joel.

I had the same dilemma when doing my O'Neills, (not the kit but O'Neills Wheels)
    I wanted a definite dividing line on the front edge, but nothing intrusive, something to define the perimeter but not impede on the scene.... we came up with a 'post and rail' solution to the issue, I think it worked very well. Look back at that build, it might work for you too, or at least give you some ideas.

Some good fence pics towards bottom of page...
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/244/dirt-details-dioramas/p3

Karl,A
  • edited April 2018
    Ngineering has both arc and gas welder lighting effects; unfortunately the last time I checked their website their sound modules didn't include welding sounds. http://www.ngineering.com/lghting effects for the railroad.htm
  • Beautiful work Joel and just keeps getting better! Your detail work is stellar my friend. I put in a wire fence with old hand made posts for just the reason you mentioned. The wire is very subtile and doesn't detract from what's behind...I attached a pic here of my wire fence.

RVXX8FTTG7RD
  • Went back and looked at both builds. Forgot how fantastic they were. Thanks for the ideas and that is exactly what I'm looking at doing.

If it seems that I am zipping through this last bit that's because all my model stuff was put away so I finished detailing all the castings and so finishing the scenes is very straightforward and honestly a joy.

rsz_img_2711
  • This weekend I got to do what I've been itching to do since starting this model. I glued the front wall of the welding shop together and began detailing the front dock and gas pump scene. If there is any scene more fantastic in all of fine scale model railroading that comes from a box I do not know of it. I'll try and do it justice:rsz_img_2714

rsz_img_2718
    rsz_img_2723
  • edited April 2018
    Holy smokers....looking good

Terry
  • Fantastic work Joel, such a great scene...

The thing that drew my eye was how perfectly right you got that hose on the elevated oil/gas/whatever tank...... that hose hangs so perfectly.

Of course, I'll have to go back many times and find all the great work you did, such as that awesome finish on the yellow screw jack in the last pic, sweet.

Karl.A
  • And how about the puckering rust bubbling through the finish of that gas pump in the last pic. Exquisite.
  • Really great work Joel. The color and texture of everything is just perfect. I agree with Karl about the hose. Both hose on the tank and the gas pump look great. The rag hanging off the pipe wrench is a great detail also. Great work all around.

-STeve
  • Such a treat to see your detail work here Joel. So, so much color yet perfectly balanced and nothing sticks out and steals the show...save for your work! Your barrel work is incredible, love the green barrel in the next to last shot as well as both of the ones on either side of the gas pump. Think not for a minute that these beauties aren't noticed. What a testiment you have created to Brett's casting and laser cut details he provided for O'Neills...I mean really...that red screw jack in the next to the last picture is absolutely perfect!...so well done Joel, looks like you could walk up and start using it. I'm with Karl...that hose on the elevated tank on the dock is awesome and not just the deftly way you have it hanging but the unique color...splendid. Wood crates with hand holes cut in...who does that...Brett does! OK...monkey wrench hanging on the side of a barrel with a rag slung over the handle...did I suggest you do that?...no...wish I had...that's a great detail...can you tell I like this thing?...Ken
  • Put me down for a "wow" on the gas pump as well. That color fade and rust combination is perfectly executed.
    I also just caught the pipe wrench clamped to the side of the barrel with the rag draped over it! Love it!
  • Thanks so much guys but as always these are not my ideas just my execution. Thanks for noticing the treatment on the barrels and jacks. Brett suggested the wrench and even the rag hanging from it in the instructions. I'm pleased that I have an eye for what to keep (usually) and with ONeil's it's about 99% straight from the instructions.

Now on to the big junk pile, the individually shingled roof and wiring the lights for the welding shop. Quite a bit left, yet I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Beautiful details Joel!

Jerry
  • Super scene ! Really nice work on the detailing and composition. Everything blends in so fine. Great work !
  • Bit boring and hard to appreciate but finished the electrical hook ups and put in the rafters. I'm gonna try and make it removable but I'm not sure about the clearance between the two roofs. rsz_img_2729
  • Rafters look great as does the entire scene. Could make just the one side of the roof removable so the issue of the other side of the roof clearances would not be in play.
  • I agree with Ken on all of his comments.
    Make the removeable side "hook over" the glued on side.
    Seamless when on, spectacular when off....

Karl.A
  • Thanks guys, That's actually what I'm trying to do but I'm trying to be too clever and remove 1 1/2 sides of the roof. In the picture you can see the rafters actually are in two parts on the right side of the roof. The two halves join over the board so it's a bit hard to see the gap. Now I have to see what happens when I add the shingles. I should be able to slide the left side up and out. This way I can have the proper flashing on the drive through roof and the smokestack can have the guy wires attached. I guess we'll see in a couple of days after I get to shingling.
  • Easier if I just show you a picture.rsz_img_2738

So I planted the drive through and made my first major departure from the kit. I used a bunch of left over castings and old signs and made yet another junked up area. One of the boards isn't quite leaning against the fence so I'll have to fix that but I do love a good mess.rsz_img_2733

Now on to shingling...
  • That is an interesting idea with the roof.
  • edited April 2018
    Joel said:

Thanks guys, That's actually what I'm trying to do but I'm trying to be too clever ..................

Yeah, that happens to me on ALOT of my builds, that's why I have 3 or 4 models sitting on the shelf at 75% done...

Overthinking stuff is sometimes my biggest stumbling block.... that's why it's so nice for someone else to do all the thinking for me when I can just follow Brett's instructions...

Your solution/design/deviation on the roof looks like it is going to work out perfectly, nicely done !!.. and..

another interesting little area completed right on the edge of the diorama where most people would have just thrown some weeds and a vine, great stuff.

Karl.A
  • What a joy to follow these builds
    Terry
  • edited April 2018
    I like the roof 'solution' and love those corrugated panels. They look very natural.

I find it hard to work on several kits at the same time. When I am in 'the zone' with one, I like to finish it. Ideas and solutions for one particular build might get forgotten when this build is put on the shelf for some time.

But that's perhaps because I am one of the male gender. Can't do two things at the same time...... :blush:
  • Robert.G said:

I like the roof 'solution' and love those corrugated panels. They look very natural.

I find it hard to work on several kits at the same time. When I am in 'the zone' with one, I like to finish it. Ideas and solutions for one particular build might get forgotten when this build is put on the shelf for some time.

But that's perhaps because I am one of the male gender. Can't do two things at the same time...... :blush:

Sometimes I can't even do one thing at the same time....
  • Ingenuous roof solution Joel. No clearance issues with the roof of the main building I gather. Wonderful detailed scene on the covered drive through...
  • Shingles - I've struggled with this one for years but really only get the look I'm after when I individually shingle a roof. It's only a week extra of work and I've already spent months on this project. Some projects are worth going that extra mile and Sierra West almost always gives me results that make me want to push the envelope.

So my strange work flow is as follows: (pretty sure this will scare anyone from ever attempting it)

1) get a piece od 1/32" balsa sheet and using a palm sander 240 grit I sand one side until the sheet is as thin as possible (around 1/64). Don't sand both sides as the unsanded side retains it's definition and is the upperside of the shingle.

2) colour - I used to use chalk and alcohol but much of it came off despite trying to set it with fixative. So now I cut it into strips and fasten it to a board with double sided tape. A very light brushing with a wire brush and then I use asphaltum paint (dark brown) or black craft paint and some alcohol so there is some colour variation. This is a modified Don Railton technique. Then not really caring if the first step is totally dry I dry brush white craft paint (nothing expensive as the better pigments ruin the effect) really scrub on the dry brushing and the white almost fades to various shades of grey and tan.

Then I used a chopper to cut out the shingles but instead of cutting through I use the chopper blade to hold the strip down and then snap the balsa so it breaks along the line of the blade. I find most of the shingles have edges that are too ragged so I drag one edge along 400grit sand paper (very lightly) and then dip it in A+I.

Then it's simply a matter of gluing the shingles on.rsz_img_2739

With this build I tried something a bit different as I had some thin slices of walnut from trimming a cutting board so I dry brush some of that and made some extra shingles (you can see them in the top part of the picture) No need to colour the edges.

With this technique there is a wide variation in colour, width and thickness so the results are anything but boring. rsz_img_2740
  • Joel,

Great technique with simply awesome results. I think that modelers that choose to build Brett's kits tend to go that extra mile and take whatever time necessary to get this one of a kind look. You have definitely given me a technique to add for one of my next builds. In fact I'm working on a scratch build now that I think I'll attempt this technique on. It will give me something to do outside in the early mornings before the heat gets to oppressive. Thanks for taking the time to share your shake shingle technique and take some extra photos to illustrate your tutorial.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I have sheets of cedar (2 1/2" x 5 1/2") that comes in (3) thicknesses that I purchased from Sierra Scale Models...I've been wanting to try individual shingles using these. Reading Joel's technique may lite the burner under me to give it a try...Thanks, Buddy

Terry
  • The above Sierra Scale Models not to be confused with Brett
  • Individual shingles are a must in my book. Yours look great.