visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• Wow it's been a long time since my last post. Diorama is 95% done and I slacked off. Had a really busy Summer and couldn't get back to the bench. I painted some figures and the welding cart and built 3 vehicles to try out for the diorama. I haven't loaded them with junk yet as I wanted to see which fit best.IMG_3029
    IMG_3030
    IMG_3031
    IMG_3032
    IMG_3033
    IMG_3034
  • That's some fancy painting there, Joel.
  • Holy crap, that's really very well painted man!!!
  • Actually it's a larger scale. Just thought I'd have a bit of fun. No way I could paint argyle socks in O scale
  • The tanker makes sense but I do like the Nash a lot. I also love the large scale figure.
  • The figures and tanks look real nice. Who makes the trucks?

Mike S.
  • Thanks for the comments. The trucks are CHB (Now Sierra West) , Nash Quad - McKenzie (Now Wiseman) and finally the Ford tanker By Ulrich which is a lot cruder than the other kits but with some patience and lots of fitting looks pretty good.

Did one more figure - a welder and now I can try composing some scenes I can already see that the trucks are quite large and block too many of the fantastic details. Not really wasted time as I'll still use them but maybe not for this project.IMG_3037
  • Nice work on that Quad Nash. Those are difficult kits to build...
  • Trucks are fantastic...I love the yellow!..weathering is superb...
  • edited October 2018
    Fantastic stuff Joel, worth the wait indeed.
    Those gas tanks are amongst the best I've seen and the O scale figure is up there as well. The trucks are finished beautifully and apart from the finishing the assembly is beautifully done also.

I don't care what scale it is Joel, those socks and neckerchief are crazy good. As are the facial features, shading, shadowing highlighting etc through out the figure, great work on that.

To be honest I'm not too keen on the dog, it's not up to your finishing standard of everything else shown, , it just needs ….

Superb work throughout, a joy to see.

Karl.A
  • The Nash Quads do take a bit of work but they go together well. Glad you like the trucks Ken. Karl I agree looking at the pictures the dog does not meet my standards. Weird cause in person it looks fine. Guess fine is not good enough these days. I'll try and repaint and repost.
  • After seeing what you can do with those figures Joel, painting in shadows and highlights and texture, I know you can step it up some more with that pooch.....

dog

Karl.A
  • Wow Joel. Brilliant painting work. Love the trucks and the figures.Welding cart is a masterpiece too.

How on Earth did you get the guys socks painted?
  • Joel, great stuff! The trucks are so wonderful. I just built a truck. Love to show you photos, but I've been advised not to post such stray items on this forum. I'll send you my e-mail if you like or perhaps Brett can forward it. The bed contains SW details. What say you Brett?
  • i'm more curious about the shoe laces....
  • Hey Wes glad you like the trucks and figures. The socks were pretty straightforward. Lots of masking tape, well not really very much tape just dozens of very thin pieces. I painted it white then criss crossed the first layer and painted it grey. This gave me every second diamond. Then I removed the tape and placed new tape to get the rest of the diamonds. Then I removed the tape and placed two pieces of masking tape almost touching and painted a red line. When that was done I removed it and put a new pair of strips on the next row. Took about 3-4 days to complete the socks but no rocket science just finicky work.
  • what scale is the dapper fella with the way-cool socks?
  • kebmo said:

what scale is the dapper fella with the way-cool socks?

I'm hoping it's a 1:1 scale mannequin Joel 'borrowed' from 'somewhere'...

• It's 1/9 and I hope to bring him and his ride to the Expo next week. I staged all three truck near the loading dock and under the over hang and front dock. They block so much of the stunning detail.IMG_3044
    IMG_3045
  • I really think I have to leave it open and place the trucks on the road to or from ONeils.
    I burned out my welding flashing circuit so will need to pick one up next week to finish off the model.
  • I have to agree with you Joel, if the base were an inch or two wider in that area it could work, however the truck(s) being so close and confined in that small area does hide so much of that great detail. The AB gives a little more viewability, but still seems 'cramped'.

Karl.A
  • Joel, looking good. I won't be at the Expo this year. They just wouldn't listen to feedback and it appears to be the same old same old stuff. I will, however, miss seeing the SW bunch. Phil
  • I agree with Phil....for years they have heard from me that it's the same old same old every year....I heard from some vendor friends of mine that they were having a hard time filling tables...I also model On30....and those that run it for the most part are heavy into the HO....I complained that they asked me what scale I modeled....but still gave me HO freebie coupons....and was told to basically suck it up....too bad.....used to be a real good show....I hope they can turn it around....but it's all up to them....Good luck in the contest room to all the SWSM entries....
  • Looks fantastic Joel, I love how you have finished this off. Your usual high standards!
  • OK down to the last few detail. Finished up the welding scene and repainted the dog. All that's left are a few minor touch ups and the railroad crossing. Gotta say in the end I am most disappointed with the flex track. Even though it is hardly seen I may have to pull it up and hand lay the ties.IMG_3069
  • VERY NICE !!!!!!!!
  • Beautiful scene work Joel!...you know just how to work the LPs to enhance the scene...the rust effects on the boilers is terrific as is the finish on all your details...simply wonderful work...

• I could take all day to take in the details in that one area.
  • edited October 2018
    Nice sunny day today so I took some outdoor shots. Just proves I'm bad at photography.IMG_3095

IMG_3092