visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Fantastic results and many thanks for taking the time involved in sharing the technique.
    I'm with Brian in that individual is a must. I'll give this different technique a try on my MEBH.
    Your extra effort was definitely time well spent.

Karl.A
  • Hey Joel, just catching up. That clutter area at the Front Dock looks amazing. Really like the weathering on everything...from the Gas Pump to the gas can sitting on the ground with the handle on it (must be a new casting from Brett).

Thanks for Sharing!
    Alan
  • Joel, you are doing an amazing build here! Your detail parts coloring is superb as is the complete build. As I recall Allan installed scale barb wire on his O scale Tractor repair dio that looked very nice as did Ken on a HO dio. I also like what Karl referenced in a build of his with the split rail and post fence which is really nice! Either of those ideas would work very well in your build. You may be following Brett's manual for the placement of the details but your ability to execute the coloring and weathering is exceptional. This is such a great build! Thanks for sharing,

Geezerbill
  • Thanks guys. I am pleased with the build so far. i think that gas can was actually from a pile of castings I bought on Ebay. I just thought it would fit in nicely. Painted so it fit looks almost as good as one of Brett's. I've added a bit more clutter, most of it from an old watch and maybe 3-4 castings from my parts box, the rest is all Sierra West.
  • Finished the shingling. You can see the gap in the facia board where the removal part meets the rest but otherwise it is pretty well camouflaged. I have to detail it a bit and add the stove pipe then on to the big boiler scene.rsz_img_2742
    rsz_img_2743
  • Excellent!!

Jerry
  • Joel,

This is a wonderful build. I just cannot say it enough.
  • That turned out great.
  • Well executed Joel. Beautiful detail work. Elevated Tank is superb...Ken
  • I think we all agree on this one.....Just fantastic. Thanks for sharing, it will be a great inspiration when I get to build mine.
  • I like it a lot......
  • The roof is now complete. I added a bit of stripwood to the underside to stop the roof from curling and it sits better. I added the smokestack, with flashing and guy wires.rsz_img_2760
    rsz_img_2752
    rsz_img_2753
  • perfect, in both design and execution.

Karl.A
  • I believe that I will be borrowing your roof removal system.
  • A couple of small experiments tonight. Bought some N scale decals to try a different way to get labels on bottles and cans.rsz_img_2756
    I also tried to print my own labels and make a campbell soup can. Not to happy with it so I threw it in the trash.rsz_img_2755
  • I also tried to print my own labels and make a campbell soup can. Not to happy with it so I threw it in the trash.

Funny stuff right there.
  • The first part of a major junk scene. rsz_img_2754
  • Just wow.

Karl.A
  • When junk becomes art. Beautifully done.
  • Masterful. Thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks. Well it's coming to an end. Finishing up the left front corner fence and junk pile. Still a few things to add. The area next to the large boiler is not done as I am considering adding a figure cutting apart the boiler rings with a welding torch. rsz_img_2768
    rsz_img_2770
    Here's a figure I was thinking of using but he seems over 6 feet tall. Might be 1/43 figure not sure if I can use it. It has to be repainted anyways.rsz_img_2772
    Still have to clean up the track and add some details. I would love to add a truck but I'm pretty sure there is no where to put one that doesn't block a huge amount of amazing Sierra West details. Maybe in the back corner before the railway tracks.

Anyway I'm probably gonna sign off for a few weeks as I contemplate figures vehicles and animation and when I sort it all out I can do some final pictures.
    I'leave you with this:rsz_img_2773
  • For starters, WOW. What a great project. A few of the many highlights that stand out to me are the color of the torch-cut on the boiler piece, the split rail fence, and the overall sense of order that you have given to the junk-pile chaos of the boiler scene.

A flatbed truck unloading barrels by the sump might look interesting if you want a truck.
  • Outstanding....anxious to follow your next build

Terry
  • More Pictures!!
  • Looks great Joel. The figure should be fine as long as he isn't with a scale 1:48 figure. No one will know the difference.

Jerry
  • The tipped over wheel barrow is so subtle, but yet a fantastic detail.
  • Beautifully done Joel!
  • Hi Joel,
    Fantastic job! Lots and Lots of details to take in.
    Jim
  • Any updates yet on this spectacular build ?
  • Ah Karl, bit of a set back this Summer but still working on the gas welder and the partially cut boiler. Also trying to build a couple of vehicles to see which I like best. Final details are very finicky. Hope to get some pictures up soon.