visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O Scale O'Neills

Comments

• Yep Joel, great looking scene.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Thanks everyone but I'm pretty much following the instructions and placing details where Brett says to. Scene composition is pretty easy when you are copying. I changed maybe 2 small castings and added the saw from my parts box. I just used way thinner wire to make the nails and used thinned matte medium to glue them down. No rocket science here.
  • edited April 2018
    Finally had a chance to glue down all those details on the loading dock.rsz_img_2695
    For those wondering, every single detail is included. I love the clipboard and the lunch pail/tool kit (in red on the barrel) but everything works together to form a glorious organized mess. Still have to add some rags and newspapers. Maybe tomorrow.
  • fantastic Joel, everything is coming together beautifully.
    Karl.A
  • Great work Joel. The loading dock and the saw horses look fantastic.
  • Excellent color and weathering. I really like the grey old wood appearance of the saw horse/burn barrel scene.
  • Another junk pile.rsz_img_2691
  • Joel,
    I really appreciate the composition and craftsmanship of your work. Bravo!
    Mark
  • I model in HO but I can definitely see the appeal of building O scale dioramas just for display purposes. Exquisite detail. I'll have to think about that sometime in the future.
  • Beautiful work as always Joel. Love the scene composition...so very well done my friend!
  • Another great update, Joel. Colors are spot on: faded and sun bleached just as in the real world.
  • Thanks. Just humming along. Not quite finished and I'm not sure about the oil stains on the ground. but I like the unloading area quite a bit. Tomorrow the drive through structure.rsz_img_2702
  • edited April 2018
    Humming along ? at this rate I should say so... !!

As for the oil stains on the ground.... I also don't like them, If you ask I'll give my reasoning. If you don't ask, i'll keep my mouth shut.

Karl.A
  • I can't get over the extra "pop" that the labels on the bottles, drums, crates, etc. makes.
  • That extra little 'pop' as you say Brian makes a huge difference, a whole new level.
    Karl.A
  • I also love the labels. On the smaller bottles and cans I just photocopied the kits label sheet onto a piece of tissue paper (I first taped it to a normal sheet of printer paper). The colours fade a bit but i just dip them in dilute white glue or matte medium and they melt onto the casting. Karl go for it because I'm not happy either. Some of it is that the area covered is not contiguous but also the sparkly black isn't quite right for me.
  • Interesting idea but I wonder if I tried that with my printer I might end up with it having either the tissue, tape or both for lunch... What kind of printer?
  • HP inkjet - standard one bought at Costco. I'd love to try a laser printer and see if it is better but this works for my purposes.
  • As long as you use thin scotch tape along the entire edge of the tissue paper and press it down smooth it wont snag in the printer. It's a great method I've used for a long time to get super thin signage.
    I came up with it originally to replicate painted on wall signs, which it does, but it's also great for really thin labels. which Joel has definitely mastered the art of.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl and sorry I didn't credit you with this idea. I had forgotten who had devised such a devilishly brilliant idea. Now that I use the word "devilishly" I guess I could have inferred it was you.
  • almost finished the drive through support. Love the detail. Added some NBW and may have overdone the rusting metal signage but pretty sure it will work.rsz_img_2699
    rsz_img_2700
  • I also started on my door stop. Took Bretts idea of a crate and some junk and built this:rsz_img_2698
  • What a wonderful build you've got there. Love you pay so much attention to the details.
  • It's almost a shame to have the woodwork of the drive-through covered by corrugated sheets.

I keep thinking that there should be a pulley system of some type under the drive-through to maneuver the drums of oil around.
  • Joel nice sign work. How much did the American Pickers charge for those signs???

Jerry
  • Love the wood treatment on the drive through support. Your sign weathering and rusting is very nicely done, particularly the yellow stop sign. Masterful work Joel.
  • edited April 2018
    Everything looks perfect Joel. The color and the texture of the wood really came out great. I hope you’re planning on bringing this to the expo. I’d love to see it in person.

For the tissue paper sign/label technique are you using tissue paper like you would use in a gift bag or tissues for blowing your nose?
  • Gift bag type of tissue paper. It has two sides, usually the printing is a bit clearer on the shiny side but you can try both sides and see which you like.
  • Ok re did the oil stain and am much more pleased with the results. also finished detailing the tower dock.rsz_img_2719
    rsz_img_2720
  • Here's a couple of questions:
    1) I'm adding a figure in the yard doing some welding. I was hoping to add sound and lighting effects but the commercial ones seem to be arc welders. Anyone know of an acetylene torch sound/light module? What does an acetylene torch sound/look like anyways?

2) I'm thinking of trying to define the left side of the diorama with a fence. Problem is I don't want to lose the detail on that side as I would with corrugated or even chain link. I was thinking of a cedar split rail type fence. Thoughts?